This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for visiting this page! I'm a '17 grad from Emory stuck between University of Chicago's Master of Public Policy (MPP) and Johns Hopkins' Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH) in Health Policy.

---

My long-term goal is to work with policymakers in the government to create more effective healthcare legislation. That's pretty broad, but my interests are particularly in the translation of scientific evidence to political decision-making and the effects of policy on socioeconomically diverse and vulnerable populations. As I see it, Hopkins' MSPH would help me in my long-term goals by granting:
  • an education focused in health policy
  • career outcomes more in line with my long-term goals: a professional network around the Hopkins/DC area and many grads going into the public sector
  • a quicker (1-year) program and therefore ultimately cheaper ($80k vs. Chicago's $120k) route to enter the workforce
  • more well-known in the Public Health arena
while Chicago's MPP would allow for:
  • a more flexible education focused in policymaking
  • career outcomes more in line with my short-term goals: a professional network around the NE area and many grads into the private sector
  • a better-paced (2-year) education, which will also give more time to build network/extracurriculars
  • more well-known in the Policy arena
---

It's a difficult decision because it seems like Hopkins fits better for my long-term goals, but Chicago fits better for my short-term goals, which include working in the private sector in healthcare consulting or a think tank/policy institute before transitioning into the government. I am leaning towards Chicago because of this and knowing I can still incorporate health policy classes/experiences into my education (health policy certificate, health policy classes, etc), although my health policy education obviously wouldn't be as explicit as Hopkins would. If you've gotten to here, thanks for your time in helping me decide on my future! You're great!! :claps: edit: extended decision deadline is 4/27 b/c I got off Chicago's waitlist

TL;DR - By choosing to go to Chicago w/goal of pursuing a career in creating healthcare policy in the government, would I be limiting myself in any way by not going to Hopkins?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know your financial situation but you should really think deeply as to whether $120K debt (before interest at 6-7%) is worth it for a program that seems to cater to your short-term interests only. If you go to JHU, you can choose to do your 9-month practicum in Chicago in order to form professional networks there. If you do decide on UChicago, I do not think the MPP will limit you at all if you're only interested in policy-related job opportunities. Jobs that require an MPH/MSPH often write, "or any other equivalent masters degree..." therefore including MPPs.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know your financial situation but you should really think deeply as to whether $120K debt (before interest at 6-7%) is worth it for a program that seems to cater to your short-term interests only. If you go to JHU, you can choose to do your 9-month practicum in Chicago in order to form professional networks there. If you do decide on UChicago, I do not think the MPP will limit you at all if you're only interested in policy-related job opportunities. Jobs that require an MPH/MSPH often write, "or any other equivalent masters degree..." therefore including MPPs.

That’s a great point! I really appreciate your time and insight. It is a large amount of debt, but the total cost of each school is actually the same. The only difference is that I will start working one year earlier if I do the JHU program. If the opportunities after I graduate from UChicago would be better, however, I might weigh that heavier.

UChicago does have health policy opportunities such as the health policy certificate and graduate program in health administration and policy certificate programs, as well as several faculty members (including the dean) whose academic and professional interests lie directly in health policy. I'm visiting tomorrow, so I'm hoping to gain more insight into the school. Thanks again for your comment! :clap:

Hopkins is close to DC. Chicago is where the associations (AMA, AHA, ACHE, HIMSS, etc.) are. Can't go wrong with either. Best of luck to you!