Declaring AMCAS schools on TMDSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status Sciaticus

Anesthesiology and Interventional Pain Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I was finishing up my TMDSAS application, and I wanted to know a bit about declaring AMCAS schools..

1. Is there an upside or downside to declaring that I will be applying to multiple OOS schools?

2. Right now there are only 5 schools that I plan on using for AMCAS, however, if my MCAT score is higher than I am estimating, I might consider applying to more . So should I only declare the 5 or all possible ones?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

So I was finishing up my TMDSAS application, and I wanted to know a bit about declaring AMCAS schools..

1. Is there an upside or downside to declaring that I will be applying to multiple OOS schools?

2. Right now there are only 5 schools that I plan on using for AMCAS, however, if my MCAT score is higher than I am estimating, I might consider applying to more . So should I only declare the 5 or all possible ones?
I did the same thing and declared the ones I was sure about, submitted, and added more later. (But I was an OOS applicant to TX, so the other way around.) I really don't think it affects you at all either way. It's probably more for their statistical analyses when evaluating their overall applicants on a post hoc basis.

I did the same thing and declared the ones I was sure about, submitted, and added more later. (But I was an OOS applicant to TX, so the other way around.) I really don't think it affects you at all either way. It's probably more for their statistical analyses when evaluating their overall applicants on a post hoc basis.

Oh, I didnt know I could add more schools later. But thanks for the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I didnt know I could add more schools later. But thanks for the answer.
Sorry, to clarify, I added more to my AMCAS later, not TMDSAS. There are a few areas that remain open once your submit your TMDSAS; but I can't remember which sections...

I have searched everywhere and cannot find anything to answer this question.

Surely SOMEONE here knows (1) whether or not you can add schools later and (2) if it's okay to list only the schools that you know you'll apply to, even if you end up applying to more later on, RIGHT?

I already submitted my TMDSAS, and this was inside a generic response e-mail they sent me.

"Now that your application has been submitted, you may only make updates as needed to certain sections. You are able to make changes to the following sections yourself by logging back on to the application: Contact Info, Colleges Attended, College Coursework, Planned Enrollment, My Account and Test Scores. Be sure to add your future/planned coursework in the [College Coursework] section as soon as you have registered for the term."

I already submitted my TMDSAS, and this was inside a generic response e-mail they sent me.

"Now that your application has been submitted, you may only make updates as needed to certain sections. You are able to make changes to the following sections yourself by logging back on to the application: Contact Info, Colleges Attended, College Coursework, Planned Enrollment, My Account and Test Scores. Be sure to add your future/planned coursework in the [College Coursework] section as soon as you have registered for the term."

that sucks for them because Im not deciding my AMCAS schools until the FAP comes in.

This last cycle I wondered/was worried about this same topic. I am a Texas resident and was applying both IS and OOS. I submitted TMDSAS before AMCAS and listed all of the schools that I thought I would be applying to OOS on TMDSAS. I, however, did not apply to all of the AMCAS schools I had planned on and was a little worried as to how this would look, or if I could change my response on TMDSAS. I was ultimately unable to edit this section on TMDSAS after submitting. It also turned out that this section of TMDSAS was entirely visible to my interviewers and I was asked a handful of times about how I decided on the schools I was applying to OOS. In response I explained that if there was feedback I could give to TMDSAS, it would be to remove this section or to make it editable because I was unable to financially follow through with my submission to all of the OOS schools I had envisioned and that my AMCAS submission was actually completed after TMDSAS. I also discussed how my ultimate goal was to be successful in getting into medical school at all, even if that meant having to move across the country (of course following this up with my excitement about the incredible opportunities/specifics to whichever school I was presently interviewing at). I believe that my interviewers appreciated my honesty as well as my dedication in showing the lengths with which I explained I would go through to become a physician. My application season ended very successfully and so to sum up, I don't feel that this section on TMDSAS can adversely affect you in any way. It just may be an interesting topic for discussion during interviews.

This last cycle I wondered/was worried about this same topic. I am a Texas resident and was applying both IS and OOS. I submitted TMDSAS before AMCAS and listed all of the schools that I thought I would be applying to OOS on TMDSAS. I, however, did not apply to all of the AMCAS schools I had planned on and was a little worried as to how this would look, or if I could change my response on TMDSAS. I was ultimately unable to edit this section on TMDSAS after submitting. It also turned out that this section of TMDSAS was entirely visible to my interviewers and I was asked a handful of times about how I decided on the schools I was applying to OOS. In response I explained that if there was feedback I could give to TMDSAS, it would be to remove this section or to make it editable because I was unable to financially follow through with my submission to all of the OOS schools I had envisioned and that my AMCAS submission was actually completed after TMDSAS. I also discussed how my ultimate goal was to be successful in getting into medical school at all, even if that meant having to move across the country (of course following this up with my excitement about the incredible opportunities/specifics to whichever school I was presently interviewing at). I believe that my interviewers appreciated my honesty as well as my dedication in showing the lengths with which I explained I would go through to become a physician. My application season ended very successfully and so to sum up, I don't feel that this section on TMDSAS can adversely affect you in any way. It just may be an interesting topic for discussion during interviews.
Perfect answer.

/thread

Perfect answer.

/thread

Not necessarily: What if instead of putting down more schools, you put down fewer schools. How much does it matter if the discrepancy is 5 schools? 10 schools? 20 schools?

Not necessarily: What if instead of putting down more schools, you put down fewer schools. How much does it matter if the discrepancy is 5 schools? 10 schools? 20 schools?
You can elaborate in the interview if it comes up. I really don't think it'll affect you either way.