Declining Residency Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rattlergirl53

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any past residents had to do this due to scheduling conflicts of different residencies and time allowed for you to take off from rotations or work.

I imagine it could definitely burn a bridge and wouldn't want to do that myself. But it seems like most of the programs interview around the same time and with people interviewing at different sites and having to take time off from rotations or work to do such I'm guessing it has happened before.

Anyone know of anyone that has not been able to go to an interview due to timing scheduling conflicts? Also should this factor into how many programs you apply to as you don't want to overwhelmed or not have enough time to do all your interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Any past residents had to do this due to scheduling conflicts of different residencies and time allowed for you to take off from rotations or work.

I imagine it could definitely burn a bridge and wouldn't want to do that myself. But it seems like most of the programs interview around the same time and with people interviewing at different sites and having to take time off from rotations or work to do such I'm guessing it has happened before.

Anyone know of anyone that has not been able to go to an interview due to timing scheduling conflicts? Also should this factor into how many programs you apply to as you don't want to overwhelmed or not have enough time to do all your interviews?

I was told that you should accept all interviews as well. If you don't accept, you'll burn bridges. Like you said though, what if there's a scheduling conflict and no room to fix it? I'd be curious to hear the answer as well. :confused:

I cancelled an interview. This was a few years ago when the mid-Atlantic got hit by tons of snow. I got stranded in Virginia and missed almost a week of my 4 week February rotation so I couldn't take any more days off. They seemed to be understanding. I also know someone who declined interviews last year. My RPD was definitely negative about it but she ended up scrambling to a site that she had declined. This is where having connections can work in your favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that you should accept all interviews as well. If you don't accept, you'll burn bridges. Like you said though, what if there's a scheduling conflict and no room to fix it? I'd be curious to hear the answer as well. :confused:

Never heard of this, but if its true, I will be busting out the flame thrower next month :smuggrin: My school is dumb. They give us xmas month off when they should really give us the option of when to take off in case we want to do a lot of interviews.

It is bad form to accept an interview and then decline. If you are going to decline, do it up front and do not accept.

We were able to reschedule candidates who got stranded because of weather in the past...most programs anticipate this might be an issue..

It is bad form to accept an interview and then decline. If you are going to decline, do it up front and do not accept.

We were able to reschedule candidates who got stranded because of weather in the past...most programs anticipate this might be an issue..

Yup. I'm calling it at 7 invites (if I get that far :oops: ) with first come first served. Anything beyond that will get an email with a cordial decline explaining I am unable to accept anymore interviews due to limited time with rotations.

Yup. I'm calling it at 7 invites (if I get that far :oops: ) with first come first served. Anything beyond that will get an email with a cordial decline explaining I am unable to accept anymore interviews due to limited time with rotations.

Do you guys get a certain number of days allocated for interviews. How many places did you apply in total? I applied to 10. I think I'm going to go to all day. Most are driving distances. A few would require me to fly.

Last edited:
Do you guys get a certain number of days allocated for interviews. How many places did you apply in total? I applied to 10. I think I'm going to go to all day. Most are driving distances. A few would require me to fly.

Although not formally acknowledge by the school, we are supposedly allowed 5 days off for interviews for the whole rotation year. As a lot of interviews are an all day affair, I figure once I hit 5, I'll email my respective preceptors and see how much more wiggle room I can get to hit 7. Luckily, my preceptor for feb is residency trained so I'm guessing he'll be more forgiving with the days off. I applied to 12 btw. All are driving distance within a few hours sans one that would require a flight.

Although not formally acknowledge by the school, we are supposedly allowed 5 days off for interviews for the whole rotation year. As a lot of interviews are an all day affair, I figure once I hit 5, I'll email my respective preceptors and see how much more wiggle room I can get to hit 7. Luckily, my preceptor for feb is residency trained so I'm guessing he'll be more forgiving with the days off. I applied to 12 btw. All are driving distance within a few hours sans one that would require a flight.

We're only allowed 5 as well. However, most of our preceptors are flexible, especially if you offer to make up the time.

True, but unfortunately it isn't always about that one interview. I missed a quarter of a rotation by being stranded in Virginia so taking one more day off wasn't allowed. It was an interview scheduled for late in the season so it was impossible to delay into the next month. I hated that I had to do it but I really had no choice. I explained the situation and the director seemed understanding. I think there are certain rare situations that can result in an interview being cancelled. Beyond that I agree, cancelling interviews is bad form and should not be done. Declining an interview could be a different story.

So, now that interview season is upon us, and I am somewhat clueless as to what is considered proper etiquette,I have to ask: is it okay to decline an interview invitation upfront upon its initial offering? I'm having scheduling issues, too, and am wondering how to best resolve things.

So, now that interview season is upon us, and I am somewhat clueless as to what is considered proper etiquette,I have to ask: is it okay to decline an interview invitation upfront upon its initial offering? I'm having scheduling issues, too, and am wondering how to best resolve things.

Yes, this is the time to do, upon the initial offer. This way they can invite someone else!

Yes, this is the time to do, upon the initial offer. This way they can invite someone else!

Agreed. Be kind to your fellow applicants and let the program know promptly.

Don't forget be professional in your response declining the interview.

I am in the same boat. So far I have 6 interviews in 6 different states. I luckily have February off from rotations. I've been purchasing a lot of one way flights from interview to interview.

I asked a friend that is finishing her PGY2 residency about declining interviews. I've also talked to faculty mentors about declining residency interviews. They all said the same thing which is if you respectfully decline in a timely matter then there is nothing wrong with that. You don't have to give some BS story. A simple, professional, and respectful decline won't burn bridges. If the situation arises, just have someone proofread your decline and you should be good to go.

My school (University of Iowa) actually schedules in a three week break from rotations during February so that we can schedule all of our interviews during that time without missing rotation time. They are also pretty forgiving if some interviews fall outside this break.

One more nitpicky question: if the interview invite states "Please respond to this email to indicate that you are accepting the interview" is simply not responding adequate?

One more nitpicky question: if the interview invite states "Please respond to this email to indicate that you are accepting the interview" is simply not responding adequate?

I think that not responding would be a real jerky thing to do.

Don't leave them hanging a simple "Thank you for the offer, but I am unable to attend" is the professional thing to do. This way they can offer your spot quickly to another applicant. You never know what will happen down the road if you are trying to scramble or get a job there in the future. Leave all impressions as professional as possible.