All Branch Topic (ABT) Defense Health Agency implications for Army Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohwhencherry

Reaction score
I am a D2 in the Army HPSP. I recently had a meeting with some folks involved with running the Army HPSP and they mentioned that army dentistry may look different in the next few years because a lot of the healthcare in the army is being integrated with the other branches. They mentioned that the Defense Health Agency is the new, integrated healthcare system.

Does anyone here know more about the implications of the Defense Health Agency change for practicing dentistry in the army? What will be the main changes army dentists will see when the transition to the Defense HealthAgency is complete? Anyone have an idea when the transition will be wrapped up?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

DHA has mostly taken over everything already. They are some incompetent ****s that are taking a **** on military medicine. It’s a super complex issue but there is a lot of political infighting between the services and DHA. It’s really incredible how poorly they are managing everything and how dangerous it is to the future of military medicine - retention was very bad but now almost everyone is bailing.

What will this mean for you in practice? A job that many people found somewhat ****ty will be found very ****ty by almost everyone. There will be inconsistencies in what trainings DHA wants vs what the Army wants. There will be mandates to use software that barely works and no real guidance on how to do so. There is a huge emphasis on bull**** paperwork and inspections of dental clinics - for my sedations I have a 13 page packet of paperwork I need to fill out while in my private practice it’s a single piece of paper. There will be more emphasis on how you document/audit amalgam scrap waste than how you clinically practice. It is a **** show

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
oes anyone here know more about the implications of the Defense Health Agency change for practicing dentistry in the army? What will be the main changes army dentists will see when the transition to the Defense HealthAgency is complete?
It's just more red tape in a sea of red tape. It's people in the medical scene being told they need to regulate and maintain dental clinics up to operating room standards, which the clinics weren't designed for.

I get emails from RNs and other people contacting me a few times a week asking "is your clinic doing this practice?" And then I get to spend my time either proving to them that we do or proving to them that it's unnecessary for dentistry. But if you are a young dentists at a large installation, you won't really feel the difference as much.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree these new rules aren't fun but in reality it affects your quality of life as a young LT or CAPT minimally.

Dentists will still have to deploy and serve on operational platforms. I'm the only dentist on my deployment; I make the rules when we're out in the middle of nowhere.

These mandates mainly affect those fortunate enough to dwell in the confines of a shore clinic with both internet and AC.

Pay back your time and get out.

• Care
I hope DHA forces everyone out to the point that everyone starts coming off base. Haha. Send everything to me ADDP, I'll do it for you.

• Care
Thank you all for reminding me why I got out…

IMG_9856.gif

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Just curious: are dentists no longer attached exclusively to one branch of service -- i.e. is DHA going to be its own separate world with a totally independent chain of command, or is it functioning more like a DSO does in civilian dentistry? Do you still commission into a particular Branch, go to that Branch's OTS or COT or whatever officer training school, wear that Services' uniform, and get assigned only to that Branch's bases/posts?

Former USAF dentist here, wondering how much has changed.

Just curious: are dentists no longer attached exclusively to one branch of service -- i.e. is DHA going to be its own separate world with a totally independent chain of command, or is it functioning more like a DSO does in civilian dentistry? Do you still commission into a particular Branch, go to that Branch's OTS or COT or whatever officer training school, wear that Services' uniform, and get assigned only to that Branch's bases/posts?

Former USAF dentist here, wondering how much has changed.
It's essentially the same as it's always been.

LTG Crosland is the DHA director at the moment. The old chains of command are more or less still in place, this is just an additional chain of command.

DHA is purely administrative.

The individual branches still control the operational utilization of the dentists.

In my experience, the dentists complaining about DHA are the same ones who don't volunteer for deployments and aren't in a sh****** for a duty station.

Complaining about DHA is a luxury; you get to sit in the MTF with a roof over your head and get to go home every night. Some dental officers really need to check their privilege. You've haven't experienced how bad life can be in the military. Enlisted have it way worse.