Degree Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matyd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently majoring in Biology, I'm at a Community College right now and will be done with my associates degree in may. I like biology but I'm not in love with it nor is it fun... I'm torn between changing my degree into something maybe computer related or keeping on the path of Biology. The reasons I'm torn is:

a) I'd have to take extra classes for the med school pre reqs

b) It would take longer to get on the road to getting into med school because of the extra time it would take to take these classes

c) Time. It would go quicker if I just stayed the course and finished (this is no different from reason b I guess).

Its the end of my first year, pretty much, and I have 2.7 GPA. Mostly in part of a class (that doesn't count towards my degree) that I flunked. I did take the higher level class of that and passed with a C though, if that at all matters? (Intermed. Alg. = F , College Alg = C).. Is this GPA salvageable? I just want to do what's in the best interest for me and to get into med school, I work in the OSUMC which could help me out. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks,
matyd

Members don't see this ad.

matyd, I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, but if you don't love bio or even find it fun, why do you think medicine will suit you? I can understand not liking learning about photosynthesis and protists, but is it ALL bio? Cuz if that's the case, you might want to rethink this.

As for your GPA, if you have a strong upward trend and can get your GPA up above, say, a 3.3 (just using that as an example), I'd say you'll be ok. Honestly, though, I'd try the computer thing if I were you. Good luck!

retake intermediate algebra.. do well, and for DO schools.. the F wont count.

Members don't see this ad :)
Major in whatever interests you. Don't keep on with the Bio major if you aren't going to do well in those courses. More likely to do well in something that you are genuinely interested in. Of course you'll still have to take the med school pre-reqs, but you'll just have to suck it up and get through those classes as best you can.

Also make sure medicine is truly what you want. I disagree that you should rethink it just because you may not like Biology. My first year of undergrad I was a bio major, quickly got out after I figured out it just wasn't a major I was all that excited about. I loved the science and all, but just couldn't stand a lot of the classes our particular dept required us to take.

Advantage here is that it's still early in your college "career" and you can pull these grades up. But you are going to have to realize that everything you do now will and can affect you down the road. Spend the time now to get rid of bad study habits and focus on doing the best you can.

2.7 gpa at a community college sucks balls. You're going to have to light it up from here on out, with not much room for another letdown, to prove that your first year was an anomaly.

Major in whatever you want. Just do well in your pre-requisites.

1) You don't like biology. Medicine is the wrong field, get a degree in Computer Science and get a job out of college.

2) You're getting sub 3.0 GPA at a community college. You need to start working harder, no matter what career you plan on going into.

I don't think you have to love biology to enjoy medicine. Particularly some of the freshman level crap you have to take.

I didn't like bio in college (hated it in fact). That doesn't have anything to do with loving or hating medicine. I knew darn good and well what I was getting into (I had extensive paramedic experience). I just hated biology. So I was a chemistry and math major instead (and LOVED it). And now I'm one of a few in my class who hasn't failed at least one med school exam by the end of my MSII year.

Major in what you like. And if you want to go to med school, then by all means go. bio major be !(@*#&^.

:)

Thanks for all the feedback, it has helped make my mind up. Just a couple answers for the questions about medicine etc.... I work in the ER and love medicine... Its great and I don't hate biology I am just not 'in love' with the classes. I appreciate the advice.
Thanks,
matyd

Hey Maty, I'm not sure why everyone's being so mean. If medicine is truly your passion then persue it. So you have a 2.7, retake all classes with a 'C' or lower and do well in them. Let's face it, most of the classes you've already taken are easy if you just apply yourself. You can EASILY turn that 2.7 into a 3.5 using the AACOMAS GPA system. This is going to take more time, but you'll be applying to med-school before you know it. Good Luck!

Cale,
Thanks for the encouragment. I didn't know how this forum would turn out, meaning that usually there are alot of mean people that try to shoot you down on other forums etc. Its different here and I've kinda ignored the mean posts hehe. But I really appreciate the encouragment! It's been uplifting, thank you all.
matyd

You don't have to be madly in love with biology to be a doctor, contrary to what many people think.You do have to do well in the courses though. I started at a major university in bioengineering and quickly found I was miserable. I wound up changing into information science technology (a computer field). I liked it a lot at first, but realized it still wasn't for me. It did give me a unique skill-set and I have a really easy time getting jobs now that I'm in postbacc (if I so choose). You have to do what interests you. Now that I'm taking my bio courses, I know for a fact I couldn't deal with bio as a full major. I hate the labs and a ton of the classes. For many it is just a another hoop to jump through. Get your gpa up, change majors but work hard on your prereqs. I understand some community college classes are tough. I've seen some smart people actually do mediocre in a CC course. You still need to work your a$$ off and get better grades. If the tech stuff interests you then do it. I have a whole new set of management, project planning, and other skills that many other majors don't have.

My intention wasn't to sound mean about that post :( What I was trying to say (and obviously it didn't come out right), was that you should get your degree in what you like, as you said, computer stuff. There's no reason not to take the pre-reqs, you'll just have to show an upward trend. And like I did say, you don't have to love ALL bio (I hated the crap about plants and reptiles and stuff like that), but I still stand by the fact that it's important to enjoy learning about the human body. Call me crazy.

And like I said before, good luck with everything! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think all of SDN now thinks you are a complete biatch meggielou. :p How DARE you!

I think all of SDN now thinks you are a complete biatch meggielou. :p How DARE you!

hahaha, thanks Moss :laugh: I guess my true colors have finally started to emerge :thumbup:

My intention wasn't to sound mean about that post :( What I was trying to say (and obviously it didn't come out right), was that you should get your degree in what you like, as you said, computer stuff. There's no reason not to take the pre-reqs, you'll just have to show an upward trend. And like I did say, you don't have to love ALL bio (I hated the crap about plants and reptiles and stuff like that), but I still stand by the fact that it's important to enjoy learning about the human body. Call me crazy.

Not a problem meggielou. I see your point though. Thanks again! :)

I'd agree with this. The "General BIOs" aren't a good place to measure medicine, but if you still aren't liking biology after you've taken a pathophysiology class or an endocrinology class that may be some sort of red flag you'll want to further investigate.

People do hate particular systems as well. ;) Endocrine is notorious for being hated by people. Recall scrubs where elliot went for the endocrinology fellowship and bored everyone else? Tv show I know, but pretty common occurence!

I don't think you have to love biology to enjoy medicine. Particularly some of the freshman level crap you have to take.

:thumbup::thumbup: This is not aimed at you, TT:

You're all fcuking premeds what do you know about what it takes to be a med student? Pure intro-style biology is a very small component of the med school curriculum. If you don't know what you're talking about keep your mouth shut... let alone discourage someone else from following their dreams.

I will agree that you have to start busting your hump. But you knew that before you came here. Many on this forum had huge problems with GPA initially. The thing that med schools are gonna look for is a solid effort and improvement from here on out. It's a rite of passage... are you up to it?

:thumbup::thumbup: This is not aimed at you, TT:

You're all fcuking premeds what do you know about what it takes to be a med student? Pure intro-style biology is a very small component of the med school curriculum. If you don't know what you're talking about keep your mouth shut... let alone discourage someone else from following their dreams.

I will agree that you have to start busting your hump. But you knew that before you came here. Many on this forum had huge problems with GPA initially. The thing that med schools are gonna look for is a solid effort and improvement from here on out. It's a rite of passage... are you up to it?

Wow, Maximus, it's a really good thing we have you here to set us all straight. :love: Thank you for enlightening us, because none of us have any medical experience WHATSOEVER, and being lowly premeds, have no common sense. And thank you for reiterating that the OP needs to show improvement. It just means that much more coming from a knowledgable veteran med-student.

And, I may be mistaken here, considering I'm just a pathetic little pre-med-know-nothing, but only one person on this thread was discouraging the OP, the rest merely gave the advice that if liking bio-related classes is STILL an issue after experiencing more medically-aimed courses, it might be wise to reconsider medicine. And many of us did that BEFORE we knew the OP had any experience in the ER.

How about we all think before we make posts that insult just about everyone on an entire thread?

Wow, Maximus, it's a really good thing we have you here to set us all straight. :love: Thank you for enlightening us, because none of us have any medical experience WHATSOEVER, and being lowly premeds, have no common sense. And thank you for reiterating that the OP needs to show improvement. It just means that much more coming from a knowledgable veteran med-student.

And, I may be mistaken here, considering I'm just a pathetic little pre-med-know-nothing, but only one person on this thread was discouraging the OP, the rest merely gave the advice that if liking bio-related classes is STILL an issue after experiencing more medically-aimed courses, it might be wise to reconsider medicine. And many of us did that BEFORE we knew the OP had any experience in the ER.

How about we all think before we make posts that insult just about everyone on an entire thread?

If something clearly doesn't apply to you, why take offense? Clearly I was only chastizing that individual. Perhaps I should walk on glass just for you so that I don't irritate your vulnerable sensibility?

AND I STILL don't think that any premed has the ability to judge another. You are all in the same race and have no idea what is important to being a med student. I realize I am acting like an elitist, but that is a truth that you will fully understand after you take your first anatomy exam...

If something clearly doesn't apply to you, why take offense? Clearly I was only chastizing that individual. Perhaps I should walk on glass just for you so that I don't irritate your vulnerable sensibility?

AND I STILL don't think that any premed has the ability to judge another. You are all in the same race and have no idea what is important to being a med student. I realize I am acting like an elitist, but that is a truth that you will fully understand after you take your first anatomy exam...

Ok, this is the last thing I'm going to post here, because we've definitely gotten away from the original question, but yes, I took offense. When you classify an entire group [You're all fcuking premeds], expect people to get upset. If you felt the need to chastise an individual, you should have been a bit more clear. Or even ignored the post like everyone else seemed to do. With the exception of that poster, we were all trying to offer advice based on our knowledge of the application process and the glances we've had of med school. There was no need to condescend, but you could have been constructive by offering your insight as a med student. That's all.

Thanks MaximusD, very encouraging words. I was feeling pretty down and kinda soul searching about the, i assume, normal questioning yourself stuff. Which I do alot... Am I smart enough? Am I going to be able to do this? etc. etc. This forum has really helped me, or should I say that the people that have posted here have helped me. Thank you all, which the exception to the one negative poster. I appreciate the words of encouragement. And, Maximus, I'm up to it. :thumbup:

Thanks MaximusD, very encouraging words. I was feeling pretty down and kinda soul searching about the, i assume, normal questioning yourself stuff. Which I do alot... Am I smart enough? Am I going to be able to do this? etc. etc. This forum has really helped me, or should I say that the people that have posted here have helped me. Thank you all, which the exception to the one negative poster. I appreciate the words of encouragement. And, Maximus, I'm up to it. :thumbup:

Glad I could help. Best of luck... The trick will be not looking at every exam as the make-or-break. Instead, try to be even and consistent in making a solid effort at everything you do. Hopefully, you can find a minor that is really interesting to you... I hated my premed courses, but I loved my psych minor and my upper-level bio.

Cool, will do... never really thought of it that way. Thanks again. :)

matyd:

If it makes you feel better about changing majors, I just graduated this May with a philosophy degree.....and I got into medical school (KCUMB, woot)! I began undergrad (and high school for that matter) wanting to be a doctor, started with a biology major, loved my school's chem department and changed to chemistry, hated my quantitative analysis class, and tried looking for something else to major in.

I had to take a philosophy class for a general education requirement, and I FELL IN LOVE with it! Later I had a medical ethics class during a summer shadowing program that sealed the deal in my decision to change majors.

Truly you can major in whatever you want. WHATEVER it is, it's fine. In fact, it makes you an interesting candidate, as long as you STILL do well in the med prereqs. But as someone who did choose to major outside the sciences completely, it is important to show you are passionate about medicine. You're starting well by working in the medical center, but if the 2.7 is a result of your attempt at science courses; you have to improve upon that with either retakes for the C's or doing better in upper level courses.

Also shadowing doctors made me certain that I still very much wanted to be a physician even though I loved philosophy. If you change majors and get really into it, I would advise you to definitely check back to make sure you still wanted to get into the medical world. Philosophy is my hobby; medicine is my life!

Hope this makes you feel better about making a change if you decide to; good luck!

Glad I could help. Best of luck... The trick will be not looking at every exam as the make-or-break. Instead, try to be even and consistent in making a solid effort at everything you do. Hopefully, you can find a minor that is really interesting to you... I hated my premed courses, but I loved my psych minor and my upper-level bio.

No matter how hard you try you will never be JP!!!

It would only take about a year to fulfill the pre-req requirements for medical school correct? Also, who's JP?