Degree or No Degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedNoob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious about people who have just applied to dental school (or any other for that matter) without actually having a BS/BA. I feel like if I am doing well enough in all my sciences, then what is the point? I just would like to hear some feedback from people who have knowledge about this. I could also see how admissions may possibly grill one on this during an interview, but it still makes perfect sense to me; save time/money.

Members don't see this ad.

Most students apply to dental school before receiving their degree, since it takes over a year for the entire application process. During that time then they receive their BS/BA, and then begin dental school the next fall.

I was just curious about people who have just applied to dental school (or any other for that matter) without actually having a BS/BA. I feel like if I am doing well enough in all my sciences, then what is the point? I just would like to hear some feedback from people who have knowledge about this. I could also see how admissions may possibly grill one on this during an interview, but it still makes perfect sense to me; save time/money.

Majority of people who get into dental school have a degree. There must be a reason for it...

Members don't see this ad :)

I've heard of "3-year wonders" for Vet school, but not for Dental

I've heard of "3-year wonders" for Vet school, but not for Dental

There are 3 year wonder, but it's tough, i have a friend who entered dental school at age of 19, needless to say he's very unique. But to give you an idea of what schools want from people without a degree, this is taken from Pittsburgh's website

Early admission, with the completion of at least 90 semester hours, will be considered providing that the applicant has achieved a desired minimum QPA of 4.0 (both science and non-science) and a minimal score of 26 on each section of the DAT

Other schools maybe slightly easier, but it's very difficult.

I applied with intentions of not getting a degree. I transferred and it added a semester to my undergrad. I was accepted to 3 schools without my degree and it was never brought up in an interview. I don't think it really matters. I have 2 classmates who are accepted after 2 years of undergrad at UOP but that school is more susceptible to those kind of applicants.

I was accepted to University of Muchigan, OHSU, and UNLV. Only OHSU required me to get my degree. The others accepted me without my degree.
OHSU didn't REQUIRE a degree but they hadn't accepted someone without a
degree in 4 years. So basically they required a degree. Most schools do not
require a degree. I was actually encouraged by the UNLV admissioms director
to apply without my degree.

The thing about applying without a degree is that if you plan on specializing,
most specialty programs require an undergraduate degree (like 85% of the programs). So now I decided to get my degree. I'm taking 24 credits in case I
decided to do a civilian residency. I'm doing the military route and they don't
require a degree for military residency programs or commission. The only
branch that requires a degree is Air Force for both commission and residency
programs (navy and army don't require it).

The undergrad degree is overrated and unnecessary unless you wanna specialize. The thing about military is it's a lot easier to get into specialty and you won't have debt. If you have a general practice set up for when you get out of school then don't worry about your degree. If you're planning on specializing in civilian sector you need your degree. If you specialize in miltary (excluding air force) you don't need it.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I wish I gave up on my degree and took 9 credits instead of 24. But I didn't know I was gonna get my medical waiver for my back and get commissioned for military scholarship. But in the end I'll be happy I got my BS in biology I'm sure.

I applied with intentions of not getting a degree. I transferred and it added a semester to my undergrad. I was accepted to 3 schools without my degree and it was never brought up in an interview. I don't think it really matters. I have 2 classmates who are accepted after 2 years of undergrad at UOP but that school is more susceptible to those kind of applicants.

I was accepted to University of Muchigan, OHSU, and UNLV. Only OHSU required me to get my degree. The others accepted me without my degree.
OHSU didn't REQUIRE a degree but they hadn't accepted someone without a
degree in 4 years. So basically they required a degree. Most schools do not
require a degree. I was actually encouraged by the UNLV admissioms director
to apply without my degree.

The thing about applying without a degree is that if you plan on specializing,
most specialty programs require an undergraduate degree (like 85% of the programs). So now I decided to get my degree. I'm taking 24 credits in case I
decided to do a civilian residency. I'm doing the military route and they don't
require a degree for military residency programs or commission. The only
branch that requires a degree is Air Force for both commission and residency
programs (navy and army don't require it).

The undergrad degree is overrated and unnecessary unless you wanna specialize. The thing about military is it's a lot easier to get into specialty and you won't have debt. If you have a general practice set up for when you get out of school then don't worry about your degree. If you're planning on specializing in civilian sector you need your degree. If you specialize in miltary (excluding air force) you don't need it.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I wish I gave up on my degree and took 9 credits instead of 24. But I didn't know I was gonna get my medical waiver for my back and get commissioned for military scholarship. But in the end I'll be happy I got my BS in biology I'm sure.

I am confused about the bolded statement...can you please further explain?

Does the military offer residencies for the people who sign up? Like for example, someone finished dental school, and was signed up with the navy (for example), say that person wants to go into omfs, or ortho.... he can do that with navy?

Does the military offer residencies for the people who sign up? Like for example, someone finished dental school, and was signed up with the navy (for example), say that person wants to go into omfs, or ortho.... he can do that with navy?

I heard omfs military residencies are a bit more obtainable (ie, easier) to get than civilian ones.

The thing is, you will need to serve 4 years for your initial HPSP scholarship. For each year you are in residency, you will need to serve an additional year. So 4 years dental + 4-6 years omfs residency = 8-10 years active duty as a military omfs (minimum). Could be wrong though, but I think that's how it works.

If you plan on specializing, acceptance to the specialty or residency programs are much easier through the military because it is a lot less competitive. There aren't that many students in HPSP (which is the military scholarship) which means there's less people applying for these residencies. Plus, these students in HPSP are spread out in 3 different branches and each branch has their own specialty programs.

Let's say there are 100 scholarships for the Army (I think that's how many they had this year). They have 8 spots open for OMFS. There's a few for perio. Few for prosthodontics. Few endo. And a couple for ortho and ped (there's less ortho and ped residencies since they aren't needed as much in military). So you're only going to be competing against 100 people for your residency program (actually a little more because some people already on active duty will apply too). But of those 100 on HPSP, not all are going to apply for a residency. And even those that are applying for residencies, a lot will be applying to a different program than yours. Say you want perio, there will be many others applying for OMFS, Endo, etc.

I've talked to a couple of dental students who had a way of paying for dental school and they didn't have to take out loans and they were still contemplating the military because it is that much easier to specialize if you go through them.

Also, if you do OMFS, which is a 4 year program, you will still only have to serve 4 years of active duty when you get out. It won't be added to the 4 years of dental school because you can pay off the years in dental school and years in residency at the same time. So if you had only a 3 year HPSP scholarship (if you went to UOP or just paid for your first year of school) and did a 4 year OMFS residency, you would still owe 4 years instead of 3 because of your residency. So essentially, whichever program takes the longest is the amount of years you'll need to pay back on active duty.

One more thing, from reading other threads, I think you have to do at least one year as a general dentist in the military straight out of dental school before you can apply for a residency. So say you do OMFS. You will end up doing 5 years active duty because you will do 1 year active as a general dentist, 4 year residency, then 4 years of active for OMFS (the 3 years you'll have left over to serve for d-school will be fulfilled while you are serving for your residency since you pay off both obligations at the same time). But if you do a shorter residency then you still may need to do only 4 years on active duty because 1 year as GD, 2 years for perio (let's say), and then you'll still only have 3 years left to serve for d-school (your obligation for perio will be fulfilled while you are finishing up your 3 other years for d-school).

It may make perfect sense but the reality of ds admission is a different story.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602095

The undergrad degree is overrated and unnecessary unless you wanna specialize.

Notwithstanding UOP, it is not clear whether the small number of enrolees with 2 or 3 years of college are enfant terribles or part of the early admission programs that are available through a number of state schools.

If you plan on specializing, acceptance to the specialty or residency programs are much easier through the military because it is a lot less competitive. There aren't that many students in HPSP (which is the military scholarship) which means there's less people applying for these residencies. Plus, these students in HPSP are spread out in 3 different branches and each branch has their own specialty programs.

Let's say there are 100 scholarships for the Army (I think that's how many they had this year). They have 8 spots open for OMFS. There's a few for perio. Few for prosthodontics. Few endo. And a couple for ortho and ped (there's less ortho and ped residencies since they aren't needed as much in military). So you're only going to be competing against 100 people for your residency program (actually a little more because some people already on active duty will apply too). But of those 100 on HPSP, not all are going to apply for a residency. And even those that are applying for residencies, a lot will be applying to a different program than yours. Say you want perio, there will be many others applying for OMFS, Endo, etc.

I've talked to a couple of dental students who had a way of paying for dental school and they didn't have to take out loans and they were still contemplating the military because it is that much easier to specialize if you go through them.

Also, if you do OMFS, which is a 4 year program, you will still only have to serve 4 years of active duty when you get out. It won't be added to the 4 years of dental school because you can pay off the years in dental school and years in residency at the same time. So if you had only a 3 year HPSP scholarship (if you went to UOP or just paid for your first year of school) and did a 4 year OMFS residency, you would still owe 4 years instead of 3 because of your residency. So essentially, whichever program takes the longest is the amount of years you'll need to pay back on active duty.

One more thing, from reading other threads, I think you have to do at least one year as a general dentist in the military straight out of dental school before you can apply for a residency. So say you do OMFS. You will end up doing 5 years active duty because you will do 1 year active as a general dentist, 4 year residency, then 4 years of active for OMFS (the 3 years you'll have left over to serve for d-school will be fulfilled while you are serving for your residency since you pay off both obligations at the same time). But if you do a shorter residency then you still may need to do only 4 years on active duty because 1 year as GD, 2 years for perio (let's say), and then you'll still only have 3 years left to serve for d-school (your obligation for perio will be fulfilled while you are finishing up your 3 other years for d-school).

very informative, thank you

Is there any 6-year OMFS programs with the military? or only 4 year?

The thing about applying without a degree is that if you plan on specializing, most specialty programs require an undergraduate degree (like 85% of the programs).

Do you have a source for this claim?

Do you have a source for this claim?

I first heard it from the Dean and Director of Admissions from UNLV. That's when I decided I needed to try to get my degree in case I was gonna try to do a civilian residency.

But all schools I've called had told me their residency programs do require an undergraduate degree since most are considered Master's programs. I've called 4 different schools about this.

As for a 6-year OMFS in the military, I am not sure. I haven't researched OMFS specifically since I don't think that's the specialty I want to get into.

I first heard it from the Dean and Director of Admissions from UNLV. That's when I decided I needed to try to get my degree in case I was gonna try to do a civilian residency.
But all schools I've called had told me their residency programs do require an undergraduate degree since most are considered Master's programs. I've called 4 different schools about this.

Are you sure they were referring to an undergraduate Bachelor's degree not to an undergraduate (professional) degree? What other schools are you referring to?

Are you sure they were referring to an undergraduate Bachelor's degree not to an undergraduate (professional) degree? What other schools are you referring to?

I'm 100% certain. They specifically said Bachelor's. Plus it makes sense since they're Master's program. How are you gonna do a Master's program without a BS/BA?

I specifically asked University of Michigan, OHSU, UNLV, and UW. Call for yourself if you're still in question.

I'm 100% certain. They specifically said Bachelor's. Plus it makes sense since they're Master's program. How are you gonna do a Master's program without a BS/BA?

I specifically asked University of Michigan, OHSU, UNLV, and UW. Call for yourself if you're still in question.

It is called a D.D.S./D.M.D. degree and not unlike getting a Ph.D. without an M.S. If you look at the PASS information for post graduate program you will find that, at least for ortho, the only requirement listed is a D.D.S. or equivalent degree even for the schools you listed. Of course, program directors have a great deal of latitude in what he/she deems important and it would not be a surprise if anyone required a salsa dance demo.

http://web.adea.org/webapps/eps/searchform.asp