DEI is ruining UCLA. Seems the DEI pendulum swings too far the wrong way.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's a pretty high horse you're sitting on. Objectively, the quality of medical students and residents has never been higher. Especially for anesthesiology.

There's a reason Step 1 became a pass/fail exam, and it wasn't because the quality of medical students went down.

50% of test takers in 1992-1993 would have failed.

View attachment 387137
Scores were lower in the 1990s because med students didn’t have access to all the prep materials they had in 2016-2018. I suspect with pass/fail scores (if they exist internally) on step 1 would be lower in 2024 by a wide margin vs 2018.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Before P/F became trendy, did "many" med students not finish? I would argue that wasn't the case. A few percent attrition is an acceptable loss rate, especially considering that the figure also includes people who drop out for non-academic reasons.

I don't know. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of the pass/fail system and I think there are other ways to address student wellness. This (1) suggests non-academic reasons for attrition have decreased over time minutely - but I don't know if that is psych related or not or related to changing grading systems. I would say that just because attrition for psych issues in the past may have been accepted or ignored, that doesn't mean we have to accept it going forward. This retrospective of multiple countries suggests psychological morbidity was present in 40% of students who dropped out (2).

A source I cited above suggests that academic performance didn't decrease following the transition to P/F for MS1 and 2 and subsequent Step 1 performance. (3) I'm skeptical, but if that's what the evidence shows then maybe we should both adjust our preconceived notions.

1. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...4QFnoECB4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw38KEF5Z-2LVFx9ZEkRUGAh

2. Medical School Attrition-Beyond the Statistics A Ten Year Retrospective Study - BMC Medical Education

3. Differences in Medical Students' Academic Performance between a Pass/Fail and Tiered Grading System - PubMed

Last edited:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.
They’re also all on their phones in the OR and barely even look up when an attending walks in.

I think what it boils down to is that the med students / residents can pass tests when they adequately study with prep materials, but when it comes down to actually working they are going downhill.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

"Those tests, known as shelf exams, which are typically taken at the end of each clinical rotation, measure basic medical knowledge and play a pivotal role in residency applications. Though only 5 percent of students fail each test nationally, the rates are much higher at UCLA, having increased tenfold in some subjects since 2020, according to internal data obtained by the Free Beacon.

That uptick coincided with a steep drop in the number of Asian matriculants and tracks the subjective impressions of faculty who say that students have never been more poorly prepared.

One professor said that a student in the operating room could not identify a major artery when asked, then berated the professor for putting her on the spot. Another said that students at the end of their clinical rotations don't know basic lab tests and, in some cases, are unable to present patients.

"I don't know how some of these students are going to be junior doctors," the professor said. "Faculty are seeing a shocking decline in knowledge of medical students.""

"Lucero has even advocated moving candidates up or down the residency rank list based on race. At a meeting in February 2022, according to two people present, Lucero demanded that a highly qualified white male be knocked down several spots because, as she put it, "we have too many of his kind" already. She also told doctors who voiced concern that they had no right to an opinion because they were "not BIPOC," sources said, and insisted that a Hispanic applicant who had performed poorly on her anesthesiology rotation in medical school should be bumped up. Neither candidate was ultimately moved."

Wow, any truth to this? It's scary if that's what's happening at other institutions.
Believe it or not merit matters. Without merit in medicine there will be sadly many dead bodies.

Reactions: 3 users
There’s something bipolar about doctors insisting that we are watering down the admission pool to medical school, but then it’s near impossible to get an appointment with a physician and I have to see the PA.

I'm not a big fan of the pass/fail system, but I understand the rationale for doing it. Depression and burnout are big reasons for why many med students don't finish. I think if you want to argue against P/F, you should at least recognize that that is at least one of the problems they were trying to address (med student stress). So why didn't they move all the Steps to P/F? I don't know, they're probably trying to find a balance between reducing stressors and maintaining some criteria for residencies to use.

Makes sense because being a doctor isn't that stressful

Makes sense because being a doctor isn't that stressful

-shrug- My life as an attending anesthesiologist is far less stressful than life as an anesthesia resident (or med student). I suspect that's true for most but probably not everyone.

The goal shouldn't be to reduce "stress" necessarily. The goal should be to reduce depression/suicide and to some extent attrition 2/2 those.

If it is the case that transitioning to P/F in MS1/2 or standardized test taking reduces morbidity with negligible effects on academic performance, then those changes should be taken seriously. Just like any other public health measure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That's a pretty high horse you're sitting on. Objectively, the quality of medical students and residents has never been higher. Especially for anesthesiology.

There's a reason Step 1 became a pass/fail exam, and it wasn't because the quality of medical students went down.

View attachment 387137

There is a difference between doing well on tests and functioning well as a physician. Modern medical education seems to focus more on the former.

Reactions: 2 users
-shrug- My life as an attending anesthesiologist is far less stressful than life as an anesthesia resident (or med student). I suspect that's true for most but probably not everyone.

The goal shouldn't be to reduce "stress" necessarily. The goal should be to reduce depression/suicide and to some extent attrition 2/2 those.

If it is the case that transitioning to P/F in MS1/2 or standardized test taking reduces morbidity with negligible effects on academic performance, then those changes should be taken seriously. Just like any other public health measure.
Same here - attending life on my end is wayyyy less stressful than resident and fellow life. But from what I hear the new grads are finding attending life much more stressful than trainee life…. Somewhere around COVID a flip happened.

• Hmm
To all the "DEI is the problem" posters here: is there any data that the problem at UCLA is related? 50% fail rate is pretty high. What's the pass rate for "dei" students vs non "dei" students? Surely if you all are making this claim you have the data right?

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users

View attachment 387137
Right, but we have clear statistics of DEI admissions policies
No you haven't.

We have a name for people in our field who skimped on depth and breadth of book knowledge in favor of "exposure" type clinical experience: CRNA.

There's nothing wrong with being a CRNA, but they're not doctors.

Before P/F became trendy, did "many" med students not finish? I would argue that wasn't the case. A few percent attrition is an acceptable loss rate, especially considering that the figure also includes people who drop out for non-academic reasons.

According to some, vaguely defined "stress" is a modern bogeyman that must be countered at all costs. I don't agree. Stress and pressure in training is useful and necessary: it's undeniable that it has motivating power and drives most people to excel, at the cost of weeding out some.

I'm not quite on @aneftp level of wishing for the return 100-120 hr/week residencies (which was and is ridiculous, if for no other reason than well-documented patient safety risks that accompany that level of fatigue) but he's not wholly wrong. We're in a profession that demands more of us than the cheese packaging factory manager who lives down the street.

I suppose it's possible that what the country actually needs to maximize positive health outcomes per dollar spent is more "providers" of generally adequate quality. If that's the case we should be funneling more people into NP and PA and CRNA programs, rather than lowering standards and expectations of physicians.

Because that's what P/F and abbreviated preclinical time are really about, when you strip away the foggy misdirection of medical student stress and pandering to misguided premeds' desire to get to the "real doctorin' stuff" ASAP.
great post, agree wholeheartedly.

• Dislike
To all the "DEI is the problem" posters here: is there any data that the problem at UCLA is related? 50% fail rate is pretty high. What's the pass rate for "dei" students vs non "dei" students? Surely if you all are making this claim you have the data right?
The issue is only partially related to “pass” vs “no pass.”

We should be selecting for excellence in med school admissions. Then we should be fostering excellence in medical school and residency (even if there are periods of high stress in training).

Artificially selecting poorer performing students due to DEI does not select for excellence.

Again, do the Dallas Cowboys select for the slower, weaker, players when they build their football teams? Come on…

I don't know. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of the pass/fail system and I think there are other ways to address student wellness. This (1) suggests non-academic reasons for attrition have decreased over time minutely - but I don't know if that is psych related or not or related to changing grading systems. I would say that just because attrition for psych issues in the past may have been accepted or ignored, that doesn't mean we have to accept it going forward. This retrospective of multiple countries suggests psychological morbidity was present in 40% of students who dropped out (2).

There is nothing that anyone, ever, could possibly do or say, to change the fact that a failing medical student will be sad. It's a lifelong dream for most. They've slaved away as premeds, made the cut to get in, and worked hard. And some just can't hack it and need to go. Of course that's going to bring on an existential crisis of some sort for all of them.

I think you're chicken-egg'ing the problem here - the usual scenario isn't that a med student fails out for psych reasons. It's that they're failing and that brings on or exacerbates the psychological issue. The correct answer there isn't to kindly keep them going in training they can't handle, by pretending grades don't matter with P/F schemes. It's to support them as they leave.

P/F preclinical courses and P/F board exams are only two of the changes to medical education that have deliberately pushed the "difficult talk" and firing decision further and further along. I suspect these changes, the reduction of preclinical course time for the "benefit" of earlier clinical exposure, and other changes (maybe even a bit of DEI!) have had harmful downstream effects on GME.

It is admittedly difficult to sort out my own anecdotal observations and biases, and mesh them with the published data. Especially when published data is largely retrospective fuzzy social science stuff affected by other biases.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the problem is multifactorial. The minimal passing score for the USMLE has been going up at a predictable pace for at least 3 decades. There has been a tremendous grade inflation as the importance of the exam has gone up and as the exam prep resources have become improved and omnipresent. It used to be that the exam was just something you had to take that didn't matter for anything but getting a license and you just needed to pass. Then the score began to matter if you were pursuing a competitive specialty such as ortho, derm, or plastics. Then it mattered to everyone for almost every specialty except family and pedi. Now scores matter for all because the number of medical students graduating far outnumbers the quantity of residency positions available.

It used to be that there was a question book that a handful of people knew about that you could buy and it would help you get an extra 10-20 questions correct. Then, there were multiple Q&A books available. Then prep courses. Then came computer question banks with a few hundred questions. Then came multiple question banks with literally 1000's of questions. Then came the apps you could add to your phone and subscribe to all of those services. You can literally be doing questions while sitting on the toilet. The ones who score very well on the standardized exams have typically reviewed a few thousand questions and learned patterns of what question writers find to be important. Many of those questions are patterned after the questions from the pool actually used by the USMLE or ABA or whatever organization. It is impossible for these organizations to keep up with new and unique questions at the same rate that their existing topics are being covered by the Q banks. So, when a well-prepared test taker sits for the exam, they are not typically seeing many foreign topics that they have not seen on practice exams.

Sometimes, that Q-bank knowledge translates well into the clinical setting and makes them a better clinician. Sometimes it doesn't. But program directors and programs are graded by how many of their grads pass the certification exams, so a track record of success in these exams is of significant importance, because it generally means that they will figure out how to pass the next standardized exams and become board certified. Similarly, a track record of poor performance will frequently translate to struggling with board certification.

So, to the poster who said they went to pass fail because people from decades ago would not pass now, that is an uninformed and disingenuous viewpoint. The importance of the exam, the content of the exam, and the resources for success on the exam are far different now.

Additionally, the quality of the medical students today has been impacted by dilution. There are far more medical students now than there ever has been. Rampant expansion of medical schools over the past 15 years has made a huge impact. Certainly, not all medical schools are the same and many offer shoddy and inconsistent basic science and clinical experiences. In addition, many schools offer little to no mentoring or career guidance. The students often have a responsibility to find their own clinical experiences, which can vary widely. Fourth year electives are a free for all, hail-Mary attempt to get something they can use because the competition is so great for limited quality clinical sites. I personally think that a new Flexner Report is warranted, because some of these new schools are clearly just in it for the money and the students pay the price. They pay for Cadillac education but instead get Yugo quality education.

Then the whole DEI thing is just a mess, but that argument has been made ad nauseum on this forum.

Additionally, the psychology of the generations has changed significantly. In the older generations, nobody ever wanted to show weakness or vulnerability. They most certainly NEVER wanted to have a psychiatric diagnosis. Oddly, I have noticed that many young people desire a psychiatric diagnosis and actually self-diagnose and brag about it on social media. It is certainly an odd phenomenon. The best balance is somewhere in the middle, where, those with true psychiatric struggles can feel comfortable seeking help without fear of negatively impacting their career.

Last edited:
I think you're chicken-egg'ing the problem here - the usual scenario isn't that a med student aren't fails out for psych reasons. It's that they're failing and that brings on or exacerbates the psychological issue. The correct answer there isn't to kindly keep them going in training they can't handle, by pretending grades don't matter with P/F schemes. It's to support them as they leave.

Maybe that's the case. I can imagine the middling student who would otherwise be ok, but falls into depression and that exacerbates the problem. Would medication be the best option and mandating physicals every quarter? Changing grading systems? Massage therapy and bringing support animals on test days (my med school did this)? If we're reducing depression I would hope we see improvements in performance.

I stand by the idea that the goal should be reducing depression/suicide not necessarily reducing stress.

Edit: There is the old trope of the "top-of-his-class" undergrad who comes to medical school and discovers that he is merely average.

Last edited:

We should be selecting for excellence in med school admissions. Then we should be fostering excellence in medical school and residency (even if there are periods of high stress in training).

Artificially selecting poorer performing students due to DEI does not select for excellence.

Again, do the Dallas Cowboys select for the slower, weaker, players when they build their football teams? Come on…

*The Dallas Cowgirls
-Consigliere

I think the problem is multifactorial. The minimal passing score for the USMLE has been going up at a predictable pace for at least 3 decades. There has been a tremendous grade inflation as the importance of the exam has gone up and as the exam prep resources have become improved and omnipresent. It used to be that the exam was just something you had to take that didn't matter for anything but getting a license. Then it mattered if you were pursuing a competitive specialty such as ortho, derm, or plastics. Then it mattered to everyone for almost every specialty except family and pedi. Now it matters for all because the number of medical students graduating far outnumbers the quantity of residency positions available.

It used to be that there was a question book that a handful of people knew about that you could buy and it would help you get an extra 10-20 questions correct. Then, there were multiple Q&A books available. Then prep courses. Then came computer question banks with a few hundred questions. Then came multiple question banks with literally 1000's of questions. Then came the apps you could add to your phone and subscribe to all of those services. You can literally be doing questions while sitting on the toilet or sitting in a long case. The ones who score very well on the standardized exams have typically reviewed a few thousand questions and learned patterns of what question writers find to be important. Many of those questions are patterned after the questions from the pool actually used by the USMLE or ABA or whatever organization. It is impossible for these organizations to keep up with new and unique questions at the same rate that their existing topics are being covered by the Q banks. So, when a well-prepared test taker sits for the exam, they are not typically seeing many foreign topics that they have not seen on practice exams.

Sometimes, that Q-bank knowledge translates well into the clinical setting and makes them a better clinician. Sometimes it doesn't. But program directors and programs are graded by how many of their grads pass the certification exams, so a track record of success in these exams is of significant importance, because it generally means that they will figure out how to pass the next standardized exams and become board certified. Similarly, a track record of poor performance will frequently translate to struggling with board certification.

So, to the poster who said they went to pass fail because people from decades ago would not pass now, that is an uninformed and disingenuous viewpoint. The importance of the exam, the content of the exam, and the resources for success on the exam are far different now.

Additionally, the quality of the medical students today has been impacted by dilution. There are far more medical students now than there ever has been. Rampant expansion of medical schools over the past 15 years has made a huge impact. Certainly, not all medical schools are the same and many offer shoddy and inconsistent basic science and clinical experiences. In addition, many schools offer little to no mentoring or career guidance. The students often have a responsibility to find their own clinical experiences, which can vary widely. Fourth year electives are a free for all, hail-Mary attempt to get something they can use because the competition is so great for limited quality clinical sites. I personally think that a new Flexner Report is warranted, because some of these new schools are clearly just in it for the money and the students pay the price. They pay for Cadillac education but instead get Yugo quality education.

Then the whole DEI thing is just a mess, but that argument has been made ad nauseum on this forum.

Additionally, the psychology of the generations has changed significantly. In the older generations, nobody ever wanted to show weakness or vulnerability. They most certainly NEVER wanted to have a psychiatric diagnosis. Oddly, I have noticed that many young people desire a psychiatric diagnosis and actually self-diagnose and brag about it on social media. It is certainly an odd phenomenon. The best balance is somewhere in the middle, where, those with true psychiatric struggles can feel comfortable seeking help without fear of negatively impacting their career.

Just saw this comment on reddit:
"I think in our general culture idolizes the struggle and over coming adversity. If you don't have your struggle story than you're seen as lucky, or privileged, or like you didn't earn what you have. It's like everyone has to justify their existence in context of what mountain they had to climb. So you end up with these stupid struggolympics where everyone has to out struggle each other for the moral high ground."

I was always astounded that anyone intelligent enough to make it into med school could fail out. At my school all of the tests were multiple choice and they gave us access to previous years exams ( hint: the material doesn’t change that much). If you just reviewed the PowerPoints and did a lot of MCQ practice questions you breezed right through. Undergrad was significantly more difficult….

You didnt answer my question. Do you have any data that its the "DEI" candidates that are doing worse? Or are you just going off of feelings?

Your Cowboys analogy is a bad one, because speed and strength isnt the only metric they use right? They dont just pick their running backs based solely on speed. Or their QB simply on who can throw the farthest. Surely you've heard of players having "intangibles", right?

"I think in our general culture idolizes the struggle and over coming adversity. If you don't have your struggle story than you're seen as lucky, or privileged, or like you didn't earn what you have. It's like everyone has to justify their existence in context of what mountain they had to climb. So you end up with these stupid struggolympics where everyone has to out struggle each other for the moral high ground."
Funny enough I used to joke about this. Like I would say I had a hard time writing my personal statement because I had no adversity in life to overcome.

You've already said you're "not a believer in mental health" and don't seem to be willing to grant that other people might reasonably place higher value on it than you do. You even seem to bite the bullet and say a more harda** system (with questionable effects on resident resilience) that results in ~100 more residents having severe depression/suicidality would be preferable to the status quo.

If those are the positions that you already hold, I'm not going to bother trying to persuade you with any racial critiques of the American healthcare system.
You got peeps like my crazy cuz bring her “emotional” support animal (which can be obtained via online for as little as $50) to major league and nfl games due to “mental health”. She even takes dog on cruises. It’s ridiculous some of this mental health crap. I’m sorry. But mental health excuse is over used. We seen it use as stupid criminal offenses as well.

“Hey”. I didn’t mean to do it. I wasn’t in the right mindset. Even the Asa posted peeps need time off after a traumatic experience (like patient death in Or) and should be relieved of their duties maybe just go home.

Do I think mental health is important to some people? Yes. I do.

For me. I say grow up. It’s a hard line of mindset I have. But this is a profession where lives are at stake. Why do you think the ask on medical staff applications and licenses if you have ever been dismissed or had mental health issues? Or physically unable to perform the task. Because it matters.

No you haven't.

We have a name for people in our field who skimped on depth and breadth of book knowledge in favor of "exposure" type clinical experience: CRNA.

There's nothing wrong with being a CRNA, but they're not doctors.
Disagree. If you put a first semester medical school test in front of me at this point (without any studying), I would not pass it. Simple as that. The vast majority of it was not retained.

The separation between anesthesiologists and CRNAs doesn't lie in reciting the Krebs cycle. Inane to think that. We simply underwent a much more rigorous training (residency) and thereby learned how to manage difficult pathology during that rigorous training. I learned none of that in medical school. Anyone can memorize basic facts to pass a medical school test. Not everyone can apply that clinically and think critically.

Disagree. If you put a first semester medical school test in front of me at this point (without any studying), I would not pass it. Simple as that. The vast majority of it was not retained.

Oh, I'd fail any of those exams too, and probably the USMLE Step 1 if I took it today. That doesn't mean I didn't benefit from learning all of those things.

Some of the benefit is also in training physicians to think like scientists.

The separation between anesthesiologists and CRNAs doesn't lie in reciting the Krebs cycle. Inane to think that. We simply underwent a much more rigorous training (residency) and thereby learned how to manage difficult pathology during that rigorous training. I learned none of that in medical school. Anyone can memorize basic facts to pass a medical school test. Not everyone can apply that clinically and think critically.

Couldn't disagree more. If the only difference between CRNAs and anesthesiologists is that our residency was more "rigorous" then the gap between a new grad anesthesiologist and an experienced CRNA would be essentially nil. It's all just reps and sets, right? Background education doesn't matter, right? (There are some people, mostly CRNAs, who believe this.)

Give yourself some credit. You understand that difficult pathology and are able to manage it better because of what you learned in medical school.

Neither of us could draw the Krebs cycle right now, but the breadth and depth of our understanding of biochemistry is far greater than any RN's, and that knowledge - and the path we took to acquire it, even if the details are fuzzy now - shaped how we think, how we understand disease, and how we practice medicine.

This isn’t DEI. This is new curriculum.

I went through something similar at my med school when they redesigned the preclinical curriculum (at a top 20 school). It ended up being kind of a cluster. I remember pharm being taught before biochem and relevant physiology, for example, a randomly divided anatomy curriculum, and other quirks first year that made things difficult to learn. Second year was much better.

It was not an easy being one of the first few classes through it. If I recall, something like 25-30% of the class had to remediate a block.

I felt that if you had a good background in the med school subject matter from undergrad, you had an advantage. But if it was your first exposure, it was a painful experience.
Was this PBL by chance? If so I was one of the first few classes to transition to this and I loved it. People before me said they used to have a test week of about six exams each six weeks or so. Nope nope nope.

Are you sure you’ve forgotten as much as you think? Maybe you couldn’t draw out the steroid synthesis pathways but you know enough of the concepts that you can grasp why etomidate causes problems. When a new drug comes out, I can typically look at the mechanism of action and grasp how it works, even if a lot of the science was done after I finished school. Any competent medical school graduate should be able to do the same and if we lose that in our graduates I’d be concerned.

Was this PBL by chance? If so I was one of the first few classes to transition to this and I loved it. People before me said they used to have a test week of about six exams each six weeks or so. Nope nope nope.

We did get PBL. Doesn’t sound like the old one they replaced. Was over 10 years ago.

Scores were lower in the 1990s because med students didn’t have access to all the prep materials they had in 2016-2018. I suspect with pass/fail scores (if they exist internally) on step 1 would be lower in 2024 by a wide margin vs 2018.
So you had no preparation of any kind? No Review courses? Authorized old test questions?

The problem with this very reasonable thought is there is a very vocal segment of progressives/liberals etc who think a meritocracy is sexist, racist, classiest, and every other type of ist you can think of.

They know in a true meritocracy, some races would be left behind.

We must drag everyone down so we can all be equal.
What races would be left behind in a true meritocracy? Care to elaborate? I bet not but I have a little hope.

I think it’s two different things - the quality of medical students (and residents) is going down, and these places are also simultaneously ramming DEI into everything. They’re overlapped but not fully cause and effect.

I will say that awhile ago when I was looking for academic jobs I had to write DEI tribute statements for most applications, and I had to interview with DEI executives at more than one job. One of said execs was absolutely condescending to me based on my incorrect race and gender. I am very in favor of equity and treating all people with respect - but I really dislike this “kiss the DEI ring” requirement.
Condescending to you because you were the wrong race or gender eh?
Welcome to being a woman or minority in medicine. This is nothing new for women and minorities. How does it feel for the shoe to be on the other foot? Did you like it? Hahaha

• Dislike
So you had no preparation of any kind? No Review courses? Authorized old test questions?
According to lore, studying for step 1 pre-‘first aid’ consisted of re-reading your textbooks and notes, and maybe reviewing your own old tests. MCAT had review courses since at least the 70s but the boards didn’t get competitive for some time.

The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.
Literally. Because why does it say that the medical student berated the attending in the OP article? Berated the attendinf for asking a question? On what planet. This is normal now?

And yeah as far as luxury you watch these medstudents and residents in their 20s on Social Media. It’s wild. Complain about being $400k in debt and yet I see so many handbags that cost $1k plus, and people driving Luxury cars. This luxury aesthetic in medicine from the young people is quite disturbing.
And don’t you suggest a med student stay late in order to see cool cases possibly. You are labeled abusive. While I care about mental health, and don’t beloved in the abuse that is so common in medicine. We are creating a bunch of weak products because everyone has to get a prize. It’s getting weird. Like the students are in charge now. And of course the NPPs. Not the actual physician attendings.

Do you guys know that in some places NPP (Non Physician Providers) are in charge of students and residents and sign off on their notes? And some are given the title of Attendings. No joke.

Stay healthy, stop eating crap food, maintain an healthy muscle to fat ratio, and exercise my friends. Because healthcare in this country is going to the dogs.

I have no sympathy for people who can’t handle stress. Call me old fashion. But if you can’t take the heat. Leave. Find another career that suits you. It’s the cold harsh truth.

I’m not a believer in mental health. Again. People are free to do with however they want to handle stress. But if they can’t handle the stress. They shouldn’t be in this profession. Go into something less demanding. Like making Starbucks coffee for a living. But even some Starbucks coffee baristas can’t even handle that.

You are being brain wash to treating people with kid gloves. You push people to the edge. See how they perform. That’s how you make strong doctors. Or do you want to be the next vontae Davis. A very good football player who literally quit in the middle of an nfl game. He was widely criticized for quitting. Same thing should happen to doctors in training. If they can’t perform. There is an exit door and they don’t have to come back.
Mental health it’s important. Many cultures disregard it and maybe your culture does but it’s very important.
I don’t think the Pass Fail system is the answer. I think the subjective verbal abuse from attendings is the problem and needs to be addressed. Not the actual curriculum.

Are you sure you’ve forgotten as much as you think? Maybe you couldn’t draw out the steroid synthesis pathways but you know enough of the concepts that you can grasp why etomidate causes problems. When a new drug comes out, I can typically look at the mechanism of action and grasp how it works, even if a lot of the science was done after I finished school. Any competent medical school graduate should be able to do the same and if we lose that in our graduates I’d be concerned.
I agree. It is not the minutiae of the biochem stuff that is important, but the ability to understand the implications such as understanding when a drug negatively impacts the electron transport chain and what that means. It helps in understanding just why nitroprusside results in an elevated SVo2 and other clinical nuances. The baseline knowledge allows you to do better critical analysis of new journal articles and decide what is true and what is garbage or to understand the side effect profiles of drugs based on their mechanism of action.

Last edited:
Condescending to you because you were the wrong race or gender eh?
Welcome to being a woman or minority in medicine. This is nothing new for women and minorities. How does it feel for the shoe to be on the other foot? Did you like it? Hahaha
Yes that’s exactly why they were condescending. And I also agree with you that it is and has always been inappropriate for women and minorities to be mistreated.

Only a sick person would think that mistreatment is funny.

Yes that’s exactly why they were condescending. And I also agree with you that it is and has always been inappropriate for women and minorities to be mistreated.

Only a sick person would think that mistreatment is funny.
You are being way too sensitive. Lighten up man!!!!. 😂😂

That’s a stupid quote

• Dislike
Not in the 00's either. For anesthesia, there was an in-person review course by Jensen, and some audio CDs, and some binders of notes. Not much else.

Online qbanks are a very recent thing.

pgg storytime -

The ABA released their 1994-1996 board exams and answer keys (no explanations). There were 350 questions in each for a total of 1050.

The main review material available ca. 2008 when I was studying for boards was an old paperback book (Hall) with another 900-something questions, and something called Big Blue that had some remembered questions.

At one point (and this is funny) a review book (Chu) was published using one of the released old exams, because the ASA office screwed up and accidentally gave permission to him to duplicate this. I only know this because when I digitized those three exams for my own use and built a rudimentary online qbank with them, I asked the ASA for permission to distribute the URL free for anyone to use. They responded with a form letter that looked a lot like the FBI warning they put up at the beginning of DVDs. All rights reserved. Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited etc. They even put the word DENIED in boldfaced underlined type to make absolute sure I wouldn't misinterpret their answer.

In a more polite and informal followup communication, someone gave the story behind the accidentally authorized Chu review book (I still LOL at that) and said no one would mind if I went ahead and used the material internally at my residency program.

So I built that qbank and shared it with my classmates and following classes. I wrote referenced explanations for about 1/3 of the questions, which itself was a good learning exercise for me. I credit making and using it for my 99 %-Ile ITE and written board scores the next 3 years. For a couple years there were only about 20 of us in the country that had access to an anesthesia board qbank and I think it was a huge advantage.

I think it can't be overstated how much qbanks and question grinding has changed how people study and take those tests. It's possible to never open a book and smoke the exams now, just by grinding through a few thousand questions.

I have no sympathy for people who can’t handle stress. Call me old fashion. But if you can’t take the heat. Leave. Find another career that suits you. It’s the cold harsh truth.

I’m not a believer in mental health. Again. People are free to do with however they want to handle stress. But if they can’t handle the stress. They shouldn’t be in this profession. Go into something less demanding. Like making Starbucks coffee for a living. But even some Starbucks coffee baristas can’t even handle that.

You are being brain wash to treating people with kid gloves. You push people to the edge. See how they perform. That’s how you make strong doctors. Or do you want to be the next vontae Davis. A very good football player who literally quit in the middle of an nfl game. He was widely criticized for quitting. Same thing should happen to doctors in training. If they can’t perform. There is an exit door and they don’t have to come back.
I agree. After the first three months of internship boot camp there should be a Navy Seals like Hell Week. All 100 of the hospital's interns enter into it the last week of September, and by the end of the week only 15 are left. Attendings scream at them 24/7 what a worthless pos they are while making the interns do intense physical and mental training such as 300 pound patient gurney races, wind sprints to see your next patient, and CT machine dead lifts, all while getting 25 minutes of rest per 24 hour period and living off of vending machine food. That'll turn these pansies into men (No women will finish. They'll ring the bell like all of the other losers). After completion these 15 men will now do the work previously done by all 100 sorry-a** interns that had complained of being overworked.

• Dislike
Are you seeing a correlation with the residents with lower skills being in the DEI group? Whereas the great ones are consistently white males? Just curious no snark.
I fear many want that required 10 million dollar Blade retirement fund before touching this one.....

There won’t be any data published about what you’re asking because doing so would be considered “racist”. The outcome of such a study “could” undermine the DEI movement. Correspondingly for years, anesthesiologists have called upon the CMS (Ctr. for Medicare Services) to publish data on clinical outcomes between anesthesiologists vs. CRNA’s. To date, CMS has refused to do that. They don’t want to undermine their payment structure or the validity of CRNA-provided care. Do you want to make the claim that CRNA care is superior to anesthesiologist care because CMS refuses to publish the requested study?

We can make the claim that DEI and the high fail rate because the medical school makeup has changed in the last decade. If you dispute that, then present your data.

• Dislike
Probably Hispanic/Black/Native American.

This isn't even controversial so please stop trying to make it into some gotcha moment.

This is an example in urology where using a more "holistic" approach with P/F step 1 would help boost their URM numbers.

So do you think that this is due to their race? They perform poorly because they are inherently not as intelligent? This isn’t even controversial?

First paragraph yes.

Second paragraph no.
The separation between the product of a top program and a bottom program isn't the rigorous training, it's the more qualified talented candidate getting into the top program typically will become a better product than the lesser qualified lesser talented candidate getting into the bottom program. Same as the expected (not always) difference between MD and CRNA.

Last edited:
There won’t be any data published about what you’re asking because doing so would be considered “racist”. The outcome of such a study “could” undermine the DEI movement. Correspondingly for years, anesthesiologists have called upon the CMS (Ctr. for Medicare Services) to publish data on clinical outcomes between anesthesiologists vs. CRNA’s. To date, CMS has refused to do that. They don’t want to undermine their payment structure or the validity of CRNA-provided care. Do you want to make the claim that CRNA care is superior to anesthesiologist care because CMS refuses to publish the requested study?

We can make the claim that DEI and the high fail rate because the medical school makeup has changed in the last decade. If you dispute that, then present your data.
Yeah except @anonperson just linked a study of the urology match and URMs and he’s very quick to like this post which contradicts his reference to a Science Direct article. So quite frankly there are apparently studies out there if you cared to look instead of just jumping on “they won’t publish it.
Hahah. You guys are hilarious.

First paragraph yes.

Second paragraph no.
The separation between the product of a top program and a bottom program isn't the rigorous training, it's the more qualified talented candidate getting into the top program typically will become a better product than the lesser qualified lesser talented candidate getting into the bottom program. Same as the expected (not always) difference between MD and CRNA.
The problem with that logic is that all anesthesiologists should be rockstars because they simply aced some tests and got into medical school. We all know colleagues that are dangerous or incompetent. Yes, academically speaking, MD candidates are light years ahead of SRNA candidates. Very few SRNA candidates could get into medical school. That's obvious. Goes without saying. We go above and beyond in our postgraduate training to learn challenging pathology and how it directly impacts anesthetic care. CRNAs do not do that. They have zero postgraduate training. The gap between anesthesiologists and CRNAs would be fairly small if we didn't do residencies. It's a light year since we have structured postgraduate training.

Some of you are acting like the preclinical years are the most important time of one's medical education. At a loss for words.

Congress makes the laws in the USA. If they want to increase the representing of under represented minorities in certain occupations for a more holistic approach. How about we have DEI with congress elections first. Do it the Russian way for elections.

Only put under represented minority on the ballet and have people choose only from those people.

Or have special factors so that the URM (under presented minority) candidate gets a 30% boost on votes to level the playing field. So if Biden/trump/pelosi/whoever the f the house speaker is/. If they get 60% of the votes and the URM candidate gets 40% of the voters. The URM candidate will win the election since they get 30% boost.

That’s what DEI is folks. DEI should apply to the diversity of congress and other ceo types of positions as well to reflect the USA populations. After all. An URM should be ceo of a large private equity owned rental business conglomerate since they will have a more holistic view approach to not kicking out other URM in section 8 rental units the rental business owns? Right? Since they are the same color race.

• Dislike