Delayed App vs More Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benlikeslizards

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in a dilemma of choosing to shadow physicians in person (I have 15 hours in person shadowing, 25 hours virtual. Not really a fan of the virtual shadowing) or delaying my application to get more in person hours. I could probably get 5-10 shadowing hours/week, but I'm stuck working 2 remote jobs besides (And applying to med school), so time is a bit tight. I was just allowed to shadow in person by the local healthcare system, so that is now an option. I believe I have enough hours/stats so that nothing else would be too concerning to apply MD (3.8 GPA/521 MCAT/500 hrs clinical/300 hrs non-clinical volunteer).

To delay or not to delay? Or should I send an update to medical schools after sending out my primary? I do want to better observe problem solving and the before/after interaction with patients that you sometimes get to see as a physician but I think I've seen enough to believe that I know what I'm getting myself into, good and bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your question is whether to delay your app and do more shadowing, you can do more shadowing and still submit your app this cycle (provided you are ready)!
You have a good bit of clinical experience already and you can always submit updates on you new shadowing.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry about that, had small technical difficulties, see the revision above:

I am in a dilemma of choosing to shadow physicians in person (I have 15 hours in person shadowing, 25 hours virtual. Not really a fan of the virtual shadowing) or delaying my application to get more in person hours. I could probably get 5-10 shadowing hours/week, but I'm stuck working 2 remote jobs besides (And applying to med school), so time is a bit tight. I was just allowed to shadow in person by the local healthcare system, so that is now an option. I believe I have enough hours/stats so that nothing else would be too concerning to apply MD (3.8 GPA/521 MCAT/500 hrs clinical/300 hrs non-clinical volunteer).

To delay or not to delay? Or should I send an update to medical schools after sending out my primary?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean I personally would be worried if I were submitting an app with 2 days worth of shadowing (15 hours).

Reactions: 2 users
I think it depends on what you got out of your shadowing/what your takeaways are and what you other clinical experiences are. If your other clinical exp is scribing than I personally don’t see a whole lot to be gained from delaying an app cycle for more shadowing.

take some time to reflect on your clinical experiences including shadowing and what you have learned. How have they shaped your decision to pursue medicine? What do you hope to gain from additional shadowing and would update letters be enough or would that shadowing drastically change your application?
Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
You can get some more shadowing along the way. I would apply now. You have 40 hours total including the virtual and you have a fair amount of clinical hours.

Reactions: 1 users
You have good stats and clinical exposure hours. Accumulate another 15+ hours of shadowing this month and submit your application by the end of June.
Submit all your secondaries in July.

Reactions: 7 users
Sorry to hijack the thread. I only have 10 hours of primary care shadowing, COVID got in the way. But I have over 200 hours of primary care scribing. Would that be okay?

Reactions: 1 user
If you are staying with the same doctor and or listing all your shadowing under 1 activity there is nothing stopping you from listing future shadowing hours you know you will be doing.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hijack the thread. I only have 10 hours of primary care shadowing, COVID got in the way. But I have over 200 hours of primary care scribing. Would that be okay?
That's more than enough. Some adcoms say scribing is glorified shadowing!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

To delay or not to delay? Or should I send an update to medical schools after sending out my primary? I do want to better observe problem solving and the before/after interaction with patients that you sometimes get to see as a physician but I think I've seen enough to believe that I know what I'm getting myself into, good and bad.
There's a lengthy discussion of this topic at 0 Shadowing Hours .

Personally, I would recommend you proceed with your app given the amount of clinical experience you mentioned. I'm assuming it's quality experience.) Good luck!