Delaying my MCAT Date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aev20

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a rising senior undergrad (will be taking a gap year after college, aka applying in 2019). I was planning on taking my MCAT in early September, however, I am worried that I will not be prepared enough. I have been studying this summer, but due to some unforeseen circumstances have had less time to do so than I originally planned. I'm considering taking the MCAT in January 2019, but am worried about studying during the semester alongside classes. Unsure if I should try to take it in Sept. nonetheless, or wait and get more studying in during the fall...

Anyone have experiences studying for the MCAT while also taking classes, doing research, ECs, and volunteering?

As a note, I have not yet taken biochemistry (will be doing so Fall 2018). Any advice about taking the MCAT without having taken biochem first? The review book content seems fairly straightforward, but I have heard that one should take the class before the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I studied for the MCAT while taking classes and working in the emergency department. Not as packed as schedule as yours sounds, but I feel like it all boils down to making a regular study schedule and having the discipline to stick with it.

It is definitely possible to do well on the MCAT without taking biochemistry. However, taking the class shortly before you take the MCAT might help to keep the material fresh in your mind.