This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeAreDOoMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Are you applying to the post bacc program at El Paso or the MS in Biomedical Sciences? Or both?

Are you applying to the post bacc program at El Paso or the MS in Biomedical Sciences? Or both?

I only applied to the master's program but have not heard anything back yet. Some are saying that they are not admitting on a rolling basis so maybe well hear back from them soon for interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

This is basically a place to keep a list of programs that I am applying to this cycle and to see if anyone else has applied as well. These programs don't have a lot of information to work with so since I've submitted my apps, I've kind of been in the dark as far as what to expect. If you have any experience with any of the programs listed below, please feel free to comment! (All for Fall 2020)

University of Houston-Master's in Biology with biomed track (submitted 02/28)
A&M University- Masters of biomedical sciences non-thesis track (submitted 02/28)
TTUHSC-Lubbock- Masters of biomedical sciences (submitted 02/28) REJECTED (03/31)
TTUHSC-PLFSOM El Paso- Masters of Biomedical sciences (will submit on 03/27)

I will post my stats once I get rejection/acceptance offers. Again any information on any of these will be appreciated.

cGPA: 3.0
sGPA: 3.2
GRE: 301
URM
Scribe for 2 years
Independent research project

I don't have direct experience in the UH MS with Biomed track but I have taken a couple of courses with students in that track and did my undergrad there.

UH is a school that does not hold you hand, but it has the advantage of being comparatively less expensive and the program appears to directly pair you with a research PI. There is a service learning component with Legacy Healthcare in Houston, but you can easily find volunteer/scribe positions in the Texas Medical Center and medical clinics. With the new medical school, you may want to keep an eye to see how/if medical curriculum is integrated this MS degree.

Edit: Have you looked at the University of Incarnate Word or the UNT Master's programs that are kinda related to DO schools?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have direct experience in the UH MS with Biomed track but I have taken a couple of courses with students in that track and did my undergrad there.

UH is a school that does not hold you hand, but it has the advantage of being comparatively less expensive and the program appears to directly pair you with a research PI. There is a service learning component with Legacy Healthcare in Houston, but you can easily find volunteer/scribe positions in the Texas Medical Center and medical clinics. With the new medical school, you may want to keep an eye to see how/if medical curriculum is integrated this MS degree.

Edit: Have you looked at the University of Incarnate Word or the UNT Master's programs that are kinda related to DO schools?

I have not taken my MCAT yet so if I don't make it this cycle, I will study for my MCAT and then apply to the UNT one. Also, my spouse is a veteran and since we are inTexas, if I can get accepted to a public school it is paid for. (this is why I haven't looked at UIW, also reviews for the program have been all over the place).

Hey, thanks for posting this! I am from the Houston area and I actually did not hear about any other program other than UH's and UNT's. I'll be sure to look at the A&M program. Good luck on your application! I believe in you.

Anyone hear anything from El Paso, Houston, or A&M?

Nothing yet from Houston! Keep me updated. I sent in a late GRE-score just today, hopefully my chances don't diminish.
I emailed Wendy from admissions for Houston and she said that we should hear back around May15th till the end ofMay. Basically they will be done accepting people by the end of may so we will see what happens. Good Luck.

"Applications are due June 1st and we will begin reviewing applications then. We strive to have decisions sent out no later than the end of June"
(This is from A&M for anyone that has applied for the Fall and is wondering when we will hear back)

I've received my results from UH yesterday. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to A&M for MS BIMS. UH-Victoria also has an MS in biomedical science too. Does anyone know about the A&M one?

Congratulation!! They are taking awhile to process my supplemental documents...I am honestly nervous but I really wanna go. Do you anyone that sucessfully completed the program recently? I spoke to people but they did the program years ago. Nonetheless, they had nothing but good things to say.

Congratulation!! They are taking awhile to process my supplemental documents...I am honestly nervous but I really wanna go. Do you anyone that sucessfully completed the program recently? I spoke to people but they did the program years ago. Nonetheless, they had nothing but good things to say.
thank you! They took almost 2 weeks to process all my documents as well but don't worry they definitely have gotten them. They emailed me a while letting me know that they would be making decisions all throughout June so keep your hopes up! Lastly, I actually don't know anyone that has attended the program recently so all the information I have is through members on SDN

Hey guys so did anyone take the Houston Masters in Biomedical science program? If so, pros and cons? Any linkage?

Hey guys so did anyone take the Houston Masters in Biomedical science program? If so, pros and cons? Any linkage?
Currently taking it; great program. Pros are the added help/advice for crafting your medical application (great advice from program directors, some meetings with UH Med AdComs/faculty), only con I know is that choosing a practicum internship is completely your responsibility in corresponding with everyone. Sometimes it can be hard to secure a good practicum, given the COVID situation. However, all worthwhile things require a bit of self-work ;). Good luck! I'd recommend the program to my buddies trying to get in. Message me if you have any more questions.

Currently taking it; great program. Pros are the added help/advice for crafting your medical application (great advice from program directors, some meetings with UH Med AdComs/faculty), only con I know is that choosing a practicum internship is completely your responsibility in corresponding with everyone. Sometimes it can be hard to secure a good practicum, given the COVID situation. However, all worthwhile things require a bit of self-work ;). Good luck! I'd recommend the program to my buddies trying to get in. Message me if you have any more questions.
Hey it won't let me message you but do they have any linkage to med schools? Do they work on an individual's MCAT or is it more for GPA improvement?

Hey it won't let me message you but do they have any linkage to med schools? Do they work on an individual's MCAT or is it more for GPA improvement?
Whoops.. may have tweaked out the settings around. Try again! No clear linkage.. probably still in the works since the med school is new. Mainly a GPA/extracurricular improver. I haven't heard of any SMP/MS Program that does MCAT tutoring though.

Has anyone who's applied to UH's masters program this cycle heard back yet?