This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sydknee

Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Usually the advice is to retake any classes in the prerequisites where you have a C- or lower. The schools need to see that you are strong in the sciences, so you may need a post-bacc concentrating on upper level science courses.

Reactions: 1 user
We can’t speculate now. See where you are at the end of junior year or even better after you graduate. Don’t take the MCAT until you are consistently scoring at our above your target goal on FL practice tests. You should keep post bacc work options open. Just remember you have to turn this around right away. If you have a grade below C in a prereq you’ll probably to retake it. Just work hard from now on. Remember the responsibility is on you and you have to get As from now on.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't retake Cs, only retake below a C, ie: C-. If you retake a C and don't get at least an A, it looks bad

Reactions: 1 user
My grades are pretty bad. I have a 3.17 GPA and I will be a junior in September (I have taken summer classes this summer and last, so I already have a lot of classes). A mix of As and Bs, but I got a C in Gen Chem II freshman year, a C- in Biology (micro) this summer, and a C in Orgo II this summer. There was a legit reason for the Gen Chem C, but honestly my poor grades are mostly due to bad studying and laziness. I just haven't been disciplined and my grades show it. I'm committed to doing better and getting As for the rest of undergrad, but I want to know if that will be enough or if I need to make adjustments to my plan. Also, I'm double majoring in Spanish and Biology at a good school.

My extracurriculars are pretty solid. I have volunteering at my local humane society, volunteering as an english tutor to spanish-speaking immigrants, volunteering with this program that assists elderly people and immigrants with going to the doctor, working as a Certified Nursing Assistant, a bit of shadowing, Bioethics Club, I write for my school's Journal of Bioethics, roller derby, and I will be doing reserach this fall thru next summer (at least). Before you guys tell me I'm getting bad grades because I'm doing a lot of stuff, that's not it. This looks like a lot, but stretched over time it's honestly not.

I'm going to study like crazy so I'm guessing I will do somewhere between 60th and 80th percentile on the MCAT.

I'm just looking for an honest, objective assesment of my situation. Thanks and sorry for the info dump!
@sydknee ... I wish you the best of success and have another resource for you to consider: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention (@Goro).

Reactions: 1 users