Demand in southeast for Anesthesiologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlitzSleep

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if the southeast (TN, GA, FL, AL, etc.) were in need of Anesthesiologists...as a lot of people, I am afraid of spending all those years of my life and not be able to get a job...I have also become interested in Orthepedics ever since I broke my leg and have been in and out of their office, it has intrigued meas much as Anesthesia has...I heard they could use some people in that field...but what about Anesthesia?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't forsee a job shortage in the next 5 years. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

Having gone through the interview process last year, the choice selections in the SE are the toughest area in my opinion. Desirable spots like Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, and Nashville were few and far between.

Plenty of rural and FL however...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if the southeast (TN, GA, FL, AL, etc.) were in need of Anesthesiologists...as a lot of people, I am afraid of spending all those years of my life and not be able to get a job...I have also become interested in Orthepedics ever since I broke my leg and have been in and out of their office, it has intrigued meas much as Anesthesia has...I heard they could use some people in that field...but what about Anesthesia?

Looking for jobs, and not even in med school yet eh:confused: There are plently of jobs in the SE, but like anywhere else the good jobs are more difficult to find.

Have you watched ER? You might consider that as a specialty also.

For the mean time, maybe you should focus your efforts on getting into medical school as discussed previously, because it wont matter what type of jobs are out there if you dont:)

Having gone through the interview process last year, the choice selections in the SE are the toughest area in my opinion. Desirable spots like Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, and Nashville were few and far between.

Plenty of rural and FL however...

8 years to partner in Atlanta

I have heard of some groups in Atlanta have a seven or eight year partnership track. So I could sign on and after eight years of taking Q3 call and working every weekend and holiday, get fired for having a bad attitude or for not fitting into the group. By that time BlitzSleep would be fully trained and ready to sign up the plum partnership tract position that I was not good enough to successfully complete.

8 years to partner in Atlanta

I have heard of some groups in Atlanta have a seven or eight year partnership track. So I could sign on and after eight years of taking Q3 call and working every weekend and holiday, get fired for having a bad attitude or for not fitting into the group. By that time BlitzSleep would be fully trained and ready to sign up the plum partnership tract position that I was not good enough to successfully complete.

8 yrs!

Gosh. You gotta love the fact that whoever these guys are that are running the show in the group you're talking about probably couldnt get into Anesthesiology these days (I've had 2 PDs at 2 diff programs I interviewed at tell me this about themselves). Yet, they think they can twist the arms and legs of new grads as much as possible. It's unfortunate, that these 'groups' instead of embracing new ANESTHESIOLOGY grads as collegues, feel that they need to torture them....especially in more 'choice' areas.

Sure a little "pledging" and "hazing" is understandable, but 8 years!! Dont these guys realize they were once residents looking for jobs too? :mad:

Adding to the ridiculous length to partnerships in many "choice" locations in the SE are the requirement that many of the groups have for fellowship training.

Again, if you want a spot in Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, TheTriad (Greensboro, W-S. HP), Atlanta, Nashville be fellowship trained and expect a lengthy partnership track.

Adding to the ridiculous length to partnerships in many "choice" locations in the SE are the requirement that many of the groups have for fellowship training.

Again, if you want a spot in Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, TheTriad (Greensboro, W-S. HP), Atlanta, Nashville be fellowship trained and expect a lengthy partnership track.

What is :"choice" to one, is not so "choice" to another. Im from the triad area, and while its nice, its not the best place in the world either. You guys are making it sound like all the good jobs in the SE require 8 years to partnership and a fellowship and this is simply not true. And High Point? "Choice"? are you kidding?

What is :"choice" to one, is not so "choice" to another. Im from the triad area, and while its nice, its not the best place in the world either. You guys are making it sound like all the good jobs in the SE require 8 years to partnership and a fellowship and this is simply not true. And High Point? "Choice"? are you kidding?

I agree, The Triad is not "choice" by most standards--about as far away from the energy of Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham as you can get--Blue Collar, low-wage, crappy schools, slow growth, etc...

However, I'm from there too and had virtually no luck finding openings in the area last Fall and I was coming from a Top 10 program.

If you've had a different experience, I'd like to hear about it. Oh yeah, as much as I love NC, I had no interest in living in rural NC and the two groups that lock-down Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham had no openings.

Again, I'd love to hear your experience...

What exactly is a fellowship? Nashville or Chattanooga sounds good to me. I was hoping to work at Erlanger in Chattanooga because I've been there so much and I feel comfortable there.

Yeah i'm not in med school yet, but I am concerned about spending all those years in school for nothing. And a lot of money in student loans down the drain. Nothing wrong with that I hope?

What exactly is a fellowship? Nashville or Chattanooga sounds good to me. I was hoping to work at Erlanger in Chattanooga because I've been there so much and I feel comfortable there.

Yeah i'm not in med school yet, but I am concerned about spending all those years in school for nothing. And a lot of money in student loans down the drain. Nothing wrong with that I hope?

8+ years of training and all this planning for the goal of getting a anesthesiology job at some hospital in Chattanooga. You're kidding right? Are you that same kid who is in high school and is going to community college next year?

Dude here's some million dollar advice: go shadow a general medical doctor a few times. If you like it, apply to med school - if you think its crap, find something else.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are enough young fools who MUST live in certain cities...with certain amenities.....

not just young.. young and old... .. remain independent...... if you do join a group you will have an arrogant chief saying you dont "fit in" as military says... and try to get rid of you. and get into your back pocket and tell you when and how long you can take vacation.. and which cases to do.. etc. etc... you want control remain independent and if more people do that it will become the norm..

8+ years of training and all this planning for the goal of getting a anesthesiology job at some hospital in Chattanooga. You're kidding right? Are you that same kid who is in high school and is going to community college next year?

Dude here's some million dollar advice: go shadow a general medical doctor a few times. If you like it, apply to med school - if you think its crap, find something else.

Whats wrong with a hospital in chattanooga?

Last edited:
8+ years of training and all this planning for the goal of getting a anesthesiology job at some hospital in Chattanooga. You're kidding right?

Unless you know the package for anesthesiologists that Memorial and Erlanger are offering and have talked to the respective groups, perhaps you should quit looking down on Chattanooga....I work at Erlanger and I know the basics of the doc's package.

Not gonna post it here because I am loyal to the group, but I SINCERELY don't think it is much to scoff at.

8+ years of training and all this planning for the goal of getting a anesthesiology job at some hospital in Chattanooga.

How the crap did 2 people misread this as looking down on Chattanooga? The point was that BlitzSleep is a hyperactive premed busying the Anesthesiology forum with his set-in-stone decision to live in a particular city before he's even in medschool. Yikes!

RN, thats great....How is it working at Erlanger?

Why am I getting flamed for being concerned with my future? This is really confusing. and how am I "busying" the forum when I've made...3OPs? and one wasn't even in this forum. You're the one wasting your time reading my posts, it's not a requirement to read every single one.

How the crap did 2 people misread this as looking down on Chattanooga? The point was that BlitzSleep is a hyperactive premed busying the Anesthesiology forum with his set-in-stone decision to live in a particular city before he's even in medschool. Yikes!

If I read this wrong, then I will be the first to apologize. Same if I missed the point you made fakin' the funk....But I know for a fact that the package is a very good one, with a minimal partner tract. Pretty sound location, good lifestyle and is not in BFE. Sorry if I misread the poster.

If I read this wrong, then I will be the first to apologize. Same if I missed the point you made fakin' the funk....But I know for a fact that the package is a very good one, with a minimal partner tract. Pretty sound location, good lifestyle and is not in BFE. Sorry if I misread the poster.

go back to allnursing to discuss nursing salaries and how you want independence... dont come round here no mo'

go back to allnursing to discuss nursing salaries and how you want independence... dont come round here no mo'

Wow...please tell me your just joking, because if your not thats something a freshman in high school would say lol.

And if you read this quote from my first post, you will see that i am not "set in stone" about anesthesiology:

...I have also become interested in Orthepedics ever since I broke my leg and have been in and out of their office, it has intrigued meas much as Anesthesia has...

Unless you know the package for anesthesiologists that Memorial and Erlanger are offering and have talked to the respective groups, perhaps you should quit looking down on Chattanooga....I work at Erlanger and I know the basics of the doc's package.

Not gonna post it here because I am loyal to the group, but I SINCERELY don't think it is much to scoff at.

The point is not Chatanooga, or whatever particular hospital - the point is approaching a very hard and difficult road, 4 years of med school and 4 years of residency, both of which are diffcult and require a lot of sacrafice along with giving up many years of your life to studying based on the job outlook in a certain city, or even in a certain region of the country. He is approaching this decision like one would approach tech school (like becoming an xray tech or something). The decision to study hard in college and miss parties, then double the studying during med school, and then 4+ years of residency should be based on you wanting to be a doctor, not based on the projected job market. Not saying that a bad job market might not sway you away from medicine, but anyone thinking of going through 8 years of post graduate training the decision should not be largely based on job openings in a certain region. The comment about the particular hospital in chatanooga was just too funny. Not trying to pick on anyone - just think that if you want to go into medicine Blitz, dont even think about specialties, or job openings, etc - just decide if you like medicine or not, period.

Not trying to pick on anyone - just think that if you want to go into medicine Blitz, dont even think about specialties, or job openings, etc - just decide if you like medicine or not, period.

Funny - I work with quite a doctors that entered the exact same specialty as their father (or mother). You think they didn't start considering that long before they ever got into med school or college?

Funny - I work with quite a doctors that entered the exact same specialty as their father (or mother). You think they didn't start considering that long before they ever got into med school or college?

This person is about 12 years from getting a job in anesthesiology, a little far out to be looking at specific places dont you think:idea:
If there isnt a job opening in chatanooga is Blitz going to forget about med school completely and drop out of community college? What is the point of this thread?

Everyone has gone off topic to flame me for thinking about my future and wondering if the demand is low or high. I'm starting to lose patience and respect for the people that have posted negative comments about me, and the city I would LIKE to work in. Yet again...another poster has failed to read :\
Nashville or Chattanooga sounds good to me
This quote is showing that i'm willing to work in other locations. I mean come on! This is common sense here! Read the Thread name! its at the top of the web browser! "Demand in SOUTHEAST for Anesthesiologists" Whats the point of this thread? Thats like asking whats the point of this forum, not that hard to figure out, if an 18 year old can figure it, I hope to God that you can.

Everyone has gone off topic to flame me for thinking about my future and wondering if the demand is low or high. I'm starting to lose patience and respect for the people that have posted negative comments about me, and the city I would LIKE to work in. Yet again...another poster has failed to read :\ This quote is showing that i'm willing to work in other locations. I mean come on! This is common sense here! Read the Thread name! its at the top of the web browser! "Demand in SOUTHEAST for Anesthesiologists" Whats the point of this thread? Thats like asking whats the point of this forum, not that hard to figure out, if an 18 year old can figure it, I hope to God that you can.

Look, you havent even decided on a specialty, you dont know what a fellowship is, and you dont know what we do, have been through, or have to know, and despite all these things you are asking about the job future 12 YEARS from now in a specific region.
10 years ago graduates couldnt find a decent job anywhere, what will it be like 12 years or more from now? NO ONE KNOWS THIS!Thats what I mean by this thread having no point. Now, can an 18 year old figure that out? I hope to god you can.
You say in the same thread that you hurt your leg and now your interested in ortho? Whats next, youre going to blow your nose, and get out some nice big goobers, and decide that ENT seems pretty cool?

Look, you havent even decided on a specialty, you dont know what a fellowship is, and you dont know what we do, have been through, or have to know, and despite all these things you are asking about the job future 12 YEARS from now in a specific region.
10 years ago graduates couldnt find a decent job anywhere, what will it be like 12 years or more from now? NO ONE KNOWS THIS!Thats what I mean by this thread having no point. Now, can an 18 year old figure that out? I hope to god you can.
You say in the same thread that you hurt your leg and now your interested in ortho? Whats next, youre going to blow your nose, and get out some nice big goobers, and decide that ENT seems pretty cool?
He's young - He has an interest in medicine - thinks he might have found something he might be interested in as far as a specialty, based on what he has seen so far. He doesn't have the background yet to know all the answers, maybe not even the right questions to ask, so lo and behold, he finds a forum where he thinks he might get the answers to a few questions by some people who MIGHT have answers.

Instead of flaming him, why don't you either provide some information, or maybe even just keep out of the discussion altogether since you obviously have no real interest in the thread except trying to be an a**hole.

He's young - He has an interest in medicine - thinks he might have found something he might be interested in as far as a specialty, based on what he has seen so far. He doesn't have the background yet to know all the answers, maybe not even the right questions to ask, so lo and behold, he finds a forum where he thinks he might get the answers to a few questions by some people who MIGHT have answers.

Instead of flaming him, why don't you either provide some information, or maybe even just keep out of the discussion altogether since you obviously have no real interest in the thread except trying to be an a**hole.

I did provide relevant information, no one knows what the future of the job market is and not to base your decision on what it is now. That seems relevant to me. I also said to focus on medical school admission. Whether or not you want to admit it JWK, the job market now should not factor into his decision to go to medical school when he hasnt even decided on a field. And, yes I am an a**hole for pointing out the obvious that no one else seems to want to say.

Man some people like to pull the trigger of the blowtorch way to quickly: a dude comes in asking for a gig in Chattanooga (or said plainly the a$$ hole of the world) 12 years from now and everybody goes jumping :rolleyes:
if this dude is that concerned about his future he might never get there :D

There's a reason Laryngospasm has no real interest in this thread, that's cuz it's a crap thread started by a premed student for insane, selfish reasons: "I want to be an anesthesiologist IN CHATTANOOGA, IN 12 YEARS, what's the job market gonnna be like?" Is that what this board's about? Honestly.

On another note, how about some actual docs post some cool/interesting cases for discussion and learning?

So long as you don't have Lilapsophobia (fear of Hurricanes, thanks Google ;-) ) New Orleans will likely be suffering a shortage of lots of specialties particularly Anesthesiologists. Perhaps Jet can back me up on this one?

So long as you don't have Lilapsophobia (fear of Hurricanes, thanks Google ;-) ) New Orleans will likely be suffering a shortage of lots of specialties particularly Anesthesiologists. Perhaps Jet can back me up on this one?

Ironically, Lost, New Orleans has no shortage for two reasons:

1) many anesthesiologists lost their jobs when their hospitals didnt re-open and are working begrudgeoningly elsewhere, awaiting opportunities to return

2) Docs that are from New Orleans frequently return to New Orleans. On a side note, so do the hot chicks from New Orleans. Try and live elsewhere with an S.O. from New Orleans for a few years and you'll find yourself living with Linda Blair of The Exorcist. In essence, most New Orleanians wanna stay here.

Thank you, jwk. Finally someone understands.

There's a reason Laryngospasm has no real interest in this thread, that's cuz it's a crap thread started by a premed student for insane, selfish reasons: "I want to be an anesthesiologist IN CHATTANOOGA, IN 12 YEARS, what's the job market gonnna be like?" Is that what this board's about? Honestly.

On another note, how about some actual docs post some cool/interesting cases for discussion and learning?

Wow you quote a sentence I didn't even type! Retake English please? I asked a simple question "whats the demand in the south east for Anesthesiologists" and one of the only ones to understand this question is LostTommyGuns. I would like to thank everyone that has answered or helped answer my question (I've noticed that everyone that flamed me is not from the south...biased perhaps? heh) Well thats alright.

Now what I do not understand is, why would someone with "no interest" be posting here? If I do not have interest I tend to find a thread that is interesting....apparently this thread is interesting it has sparked some debate. I came to this forum early on to get to know everyone...now I see that I can't do that, i'm sorry for assuming...

Jet - happy to hear that you feel that way! Not sure that I can agree yet though.

Agreed that New Orleanians tend to come back, frankly I don't blame them - I rather like it here (sorry!). I could also agree that there may be no shortage presently, but consider the following:

+ Tulane has increased their usage of CRNAs because there are fewer residents.
+ Tulane is using a fair amount of Locums, due to staffing shortages. Those that are working tend to be busy as heck.
+ As more people return to the city and more hospitals open up there will be an increased need for physicians.
+ The longer physicians that were here stay elsewhere, the less likely they will come back. This is compounded by the fact that of the 3rd year residents at Tulane (of which there are 5) 1-2 may stay at best, compared to 4-8 (this is a rough guess) of the 15 third years in past years.
+ Attracting people to New Orleans will likely be difficult due to lilapsophobia :D

Granted my knowledge of New Orleans job market is fairly limited since I'm not in the loop per se and a lot of what I see is through the Tulane looking glass, but having talked with some of the docs at Tulane and trying to consider the matter objectively, at best I could see it going either way.

Jet - happy to hear that you feel that way! Not sure that I can agree yet though.

Agreed that New Orleanians tend to come back, frankly I don't blame them - I rather like it here (sorry!). I could also agree that there may be no shortage presently, but consider the following:

+ Tulane has increased their usage of CRNAs because there are fewer residents.
+ Tulane is using a fair amount of Locums, due to staffing shortages. Those that are working tend to be busy as heck.
+ As more people return to the city and more hospitals open up there will be an increased need for physicians.
+ The longer physicians that were here stay elsewhere, the less likely they will come back. This is compounded by the fact that of the 3rd year residents at Tulane (of which there are 5) 1-2 may stay at best, compared to 4-8 (this is a rough guess) of the 15 third years in past years.
+ Attracting people to New Orleans will likely be difficult due to lilapsophobia :D

Granted my knowledge of New Orleans job market is fairly limited since I'm not in the loop per se and a lot of what I see is through the Tulane looking glass, but having talked with some of the docs at Tulane and trying to consider the matter objectively, at best I could see it going either way.

Opinion respected.

Glad you respect it... but do you agree? I'm guessing not, but I'd be interested in hearing why...?

Glad you respect it... but do you agree? I'm guessing not, but I'd be interested in hearing why...?

You are right about Tulane hiring right now, as will LSU soon in anticipation of University reopening, so yes, in the short run there will be some slots to fill.

After that, yes, there will be slots here and there for attrition....my point being...I've watched the anesthesia market in New Orleans for years now since I practiced elsewhere from 1996-2004, all along with a wife begging to return here and there was never a plethora of opportunity here.

Compound that with the post-Katrina issues....

Ironically, Lost, New Orleans has no shortage for two reasons:

1) many anesthesiologists lost their jobs when their hospitals didnt re-open and are working begrudgeoningly elsewhere, awaiting opportunities to return

2) Docs that are from New Orleans frequently return to New Orleans. On a side note, so do the hot chicks from New Orleans. Try and live elsewhere with an S.O. from New Orleans for a few years and you'll find yourself living with Linda Blair of The Exorcist. In essence, most New Orleanians wanna stay here.

just curious jet, are you also originally from new orleans?

just curious jet, are you also originally from new orleans?

Nope.

The New Orleans connection came when I did my residency at Tulane (1992-1996).

Grew up in Bradenton, Florida. College at USF in Tampa, med school U of Miami.

Florida boy living in the big EZ cuz bosslady is from here.....and reread my post above about hot chicks from New Orleans.....