Demotivated and looking for genuine advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnsureAboutLife

Reaction score
Hi! So I am a 27 year old who decided to pursue medicine in 2018. I graduated in 2016 with a degree in Computer Engineering. I majored in that for a multitude of reasons I wont bore you with but ultimately I never enjoyed my major and my GPA reflected that. I graduated with a 3.1 GPA and started working immediately as a software engineer in NYC. Fast forward to 2 years later I had been really considering going back to school to study medicine and after much thought decided to apply to the NYU postbacc program and got in for spring 2019 semester to take my prereqs. Over the course of 2 years I completed 51 credits and received a GPA of 3.7. I dont know if science GPA matters for postbaccs but I did take a bunch of science classes in my undergrad and got a 3.7 GPA on that, it was mostly my Electrical Engineering courses that were kicking my ass. I am scheduled to take my MCAT in late Jan and so far most of my practice tests land me in the 510 ballpark but I am still hoping to improve that by the exam date. I was working full time during my postbacc (even started my own company) due to monetary reasons (I am an immigrant who moved her on my own at 19 and have no relatives to help me pay for school). During the past 2 years I started doing extra curriculars, which were the following:
Clinical Volunteering - 1 year (400 hours)
EMT work - 4 months (220 hours) -- was also an EMT during the height of the pandemic

I was supposed to start a volunteer research position early 2020 that got cancelled due to covid and then another one late 2020 that also ended up getting cancelled. I went back to my home country early 2021 to try to save money while remote and shadowed there for about 200 hours, but I know that probably wont count, but I am hoping to will explain the gap in my ECs for 2021. I have been finding it incredibly challenging to land shadowing/volunteer opportunities since coming back in mid 2021 and have sent out dozens of cold emails and calls but opportunities seem to be limited due to COVID restrictions.

I know my EC hours are low, my undergrad GPA terrible and my postbacc GPA is decent but not superb and I am really banking on acing the MCAT now to fluff my application.

I guess here is my question:
Do I actually have a decent shot at getting into a low-tier MD or DO school? Oh and I am a NY resident.
Also should I even consider EDP or are my chances for that bad, I am really confused on whether EDP is a good idea or not.
And I guess the pessimist in me wants to ask if I should even bother applying at all? I really, without one doubt in my mind want to become a doctor, and it was very challenging for me to even get to where I am in the first place and I think I will probably apply regardless just to not have that "what if?" factor but I suppose I am looking for external opinions as to not get my hopes up.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not a big fan of EDP, and I'm not sure it would make sense in your case to put your chips in on one school. I would delay until I got sufficient experience in a clinical setting (150 hours at least) and do US-domestic community service. While you do come from an immigrant background, you need to show your flexibility in working with underserved communities of all types (150 hours at least). I don't know how you are doing with your company and why you would want to leave it behind for the cost- and time-intensive training of medicine, but you will have to consider completely walking away from it and its income should you be accepted.

You should do a lot of networking with the schools and their financial aid departments given your situation and concerns about your cost of education. The financial aid advisors will be people you will have to work with beyond just medical school, so the relationship you make with them will be critical.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not a big fan of EDP, and I'm not sure it would make sense in your case to put your chips in on one school. I would delay until I got sufficient experience in a clinical setting (150 hours at least) and do US-domestic community service. While you do come from an immigrant background, you need to show your flexibility in working with underserved communities of all types (150 hours at least). I don't know how you are doing with your company and why you would want to leave it behind for the cost- and time-intensive training of medicine, but you will have to consider completely walking away from it and its income should you be accepted.

You should do a lot of networking with the schools and their financial aid departments given your situation and concerns about your cost of education. The financial aid advisors will be people you will have to work with beyond just medical school, so the relationship you make with them will be critical.
I have about 400 hours doing what I am assuming is clinical volunteering, would that cut it? I was volunteering in an ER. Is there a different setting I need to be targeting? I am constantly cold calling doctors to find a shadowing spot

Members don't see this ad :)
Your clinical volunteering is more than enough, and very admirable.

Your postbac work and GPA are great, and yes, the sGPA counts more than the cGPA.

There are indeed MD and DO schools that reward reinvention.

Shadow doctors, and get in some nonclinical volunteering now.

Your clinical volunteering is more than enough, and very admirable.

Your postbac work and GPA are great, and yes, the sGPA counts more than the cGPA.

There are indeed MD and DO schools that reward reinvention.

Shadow doctors, and get in some nonclinical volunteering now.
Thank you so much! I am planning on representing my company to work with orgs like girlswhocode as my non-clinical

Will continue the hunt for shadowing opportunities