Dental Hygienist to Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SirocN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I was just wondering if it is at all possible to go from Dental Hygiene program straight into a dental school?

I am asking this because my undergraduate grade is not great (2.8ish out of 4.0) and I dont know if there are any schools that would even look at my application with that grade lol.

If anyone knows of any school PLEASE do let me know!
Also, dont give me the generic question of do the research... I have, I just want to see if I can get anymore info.

Thank You

P.S
I am open to INTERNATIONAL schools

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think any U.S dental school will let you. Few schools even let dental students transfer to their dental school. You would have to drop out and apply like everyone else. For your gpa you would need to do a post back program or masters depending on what pre-reqs you still need to take.

Not too sure about that @princeafrica . NYU College of Dentistry stated in an email I sent them that "Yes, you can apply for NYU's DDS program after studying dental hygiene, as we do not have any restrictions on what you can major in".

Thats why I was just asking if anyone knows of any other dental schools that let that happen

Members don't see this ad :)
Not too sure about that @princeafrica . NYU College of Dentistry stated in an email I sent them that "Yes, you can apply for NYU's DDS program after studying dental hygiene, as we do not have any restrictions on what you can major in".

Thats why I was just asking if anyone knows of any other dental schools that let that happen

Yes what they said is correct. You can finish your dental hygiene program but after you are done, you will have to apply to dental school like everyone else through AADSAS and show them your undergraduate transcript and hygiene program transcript. What I am saying (and thought that's what you were asking) is that you cannot transfer straight from hygiene program to dental school without putting in an application through AADSAS like the rest of us. You will still need to have all the necessary prerequisite done and also take the DAT.

Here's an older post about this: Dental Hygienist to DDS?

Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 9.16.05 AM.png

Last edited:
Take more undergrad classed and aim for a 4.0. Then take a 1-2 year masters and 4.0 it. Crush your dat as well and you stand a chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone.
I was just wondering if it is at all possible to go from Dental Hygiene program straight into a dental school?

I am asking this because my undergraduate grade is not great (2.8ish out of 4.0) and I dont know if there are any schools that would even look at my application with that grade lol.

Also, dont give me the generic question of do the research... I have, I just want to see if I can get anymore info.

Thank You

P.S
Are you interest other field beside dental?

Hey everyone.

Thank You

P.S

I’m at Pitt SDM right now. One of my classmates did hygiene here before she decided to get her DMD. Do not do it if you can’t see yourself potentially becoming a hygienist if things don’t work out. You don’t want to tie yourself to it financially or temporally if it’s going to be something you would regret having done without a dental school admission.

I know that this is a limited sample size, but 2/3 of the dental schools that I interviewed at said that they won't look at your application if any GPA is under 3.2... and any DAT section is under a 17. They said that they get thousands of applications, so they have to weed some out automatically (i.e. straight numbers)

BTW- I heard Loma Linda has a Hygienist to Dentist bridge program, but I know absolutely nothing about that.... like what factors they look at...

Reactions: 1 user
Yes what they said is correct. You can finish your dental hygiene program but after you are done, you will have to apply to dental school like everyone else through AADSAS and show them your undergraduate transcript and hygiene program transcript. What I am saying (and thought that's what you were asking) is that you cannot transfer straight from hygiene program to dental school without putting in an application through AADSAS like the rest of us. You will still need to have all the necessary prerequisite done and also take the DAT.

Here's an older post about this: Dental Hygienist to DDS?

View attachment 240783

that's moi :)