Dental knowledge books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I'm a junior undergrad student about to apply to dental schools this summer. I'm looking to find a book, or books, that can help me expand my knowledge of dentistry to make me more knowledgeable about the field, procedures, and general terminology before I start the application process.

Are there any good introduction to dentistry, intro to dental terminology, or handbook to dental a assisting books that anyone would recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN,

I'm a junior undergrad student about to apply to dental schools this summer. I'm looking to find a book, or books, that can help me expand my knowledge of dentistry to make me more knowledgeable about the field, procedures, and general terminology before I start the application process.

Are there any good introduction to dentistry, intro to dental terminology, or handbook to dental a assisting books that anyone would recommend?
You are not required to know dental terminology or anatomy before applying for dental school. The best way to learn about this... shadowing and working front desk, you guessed it congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm about to start dental school in the fall and I recently purchased "Concise Dental Anatomy and Morphology" (Fourth Edition). Loving it so far. Got it used on Amazon for less than $15. Also grabbed a mouth model (that had transparent gum tissue so you can see all the roots) so when I read something in the book, I can refer to the model. And I spend many evenings just YouTube'ing dental procedures. Very thorough, nicely explained procedures on there. For example, search "class 2 composite restoration" and boom...That should keep you busy for a while. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDN,

watch Youtube... its there for a good reason.

Youtube is definitely the best, but if you have your heart set on a book, buy an old/used version of a NBDE part I prep book. That has your entire first 1.5 years of dental school packed into concise paragraphs that are easy to digest.

Hello SDN,

Really unnecessary. If you were to do anything, I would only go as far as knowing the names of the teeth: Central Incisor, Lateral Incisor, Canine, 1st Premolar, 2nd Premolar, 1st Molar, 2nd Molar, 3rd Molar, and maxillary vs mandibular.

Reactions: 1 user