Dental pre-requisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi. I am currently in college getting a non-science related major. I have always liked dentistry and would like to take that path after finishing what I already started--a Bachelor of arts degree. I am wondering if anyone could give me information as for the science classes I should take. Some universities require only 6 classes while some others require 16 classes (Science coursework).

There is a community college here where I live that offers intensive science classes which grants you 6 quarter credits in one quarter (which is equivalent to one semester or 4 semester credits).

This is what I have so far:
-2 general biology courses (12 semester hours/18 quarter credits)
-2 general/inorganic chemistry (8 semester hours/12 quarter credits)
-2 organic chemistry courses (8 semester hours/12 quarter credits)
-2 physics classes (8 semester hours/12 quarter credits)
-1 microbiology course (4 semester hours/6 quarter credits)
-1 biochemistry course (3.3 semester hours/5 quarter credits)

Should I take anatomy and physiology or just anatomy or an anatomy/physiology combined class?

Did anyone take classes in q quarter sequence? what did dental schools say about that? Any other classes that most schools require? Your help is highly appreciated

I also dont want to spend too many years in a community college taking classes that are not important for the application.

Members don't see this ad.

Take all of the classes you listed and you'll qualify for most schools you'll be applying to. Good luck!

yeah but most school list classes such as immunology, cell biology, etc as highly recommended. Should I take them? or? What classes did you take and/or plan to take?

Hi. I am currently in college getting a non-science related major. I have always liked dentistry and would like to take that path after finishing what I already started--a Bachelor of arts degree. I am wondering if anyone could give me information as for the science classes I should take. Some universities require only 6 classes while some others require 16 classes (Science coursework).

There is a community college here where I live that offers intensive science classes which grants you 6 quarter credits in one quarter (which is equivalent to one semester or 4 semester credits).

This is what I have so far:
-2 general biology courses (12 semester hours/18 quarter credits)
-2 general/inorganic chemistry (8 semester hours/12 quarter credits)
-2 organic chemistry courses (8 semester hours/12 quarter credits)
-2 physics classes (8 semester hours/12 quarter credits)
-1 microbiology course (4 semester hours/6 quarter credits)
-1 biochemistry course (3.3 semester hours/5 quarter credits)

Should I take anatomy and physiology or just anatomy or an anatomy/physiology combined class?

Did anyone take classes in q quarter sequence? what did dental schools say about that? Any other classes that most schools require? Your help is highly appreciated

I also dont want to spend too many years in a community college taking classes that are not important for the application.

I've taken non-prereq science coursework in quarter hours and it was fine. For AADSAS, they accept credit hours in both quarter or semester hours. Just make sure you meet the minimal number of credits for the prereqs, check ADEA guide book or school websites.

Can't really comment on the A&P, but it seems like a combined course is like two birds with one stone.

Prioritize by completing all the required coursework, then consider the recommended coursework like A&P (if time and finances permit) as it'll show you can handle upper level classes.