Dental Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far this thread has been very medically orientated, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on dental public health? I am hoping to do dental public health, particularly international, but I dont know where to start. Can anyone help?? Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Cheers for the website!

However, I was more interested in dental public health in the developing world.......know anything like this?

For instance, I read a journal article about a study in Guatemala using dental health as an indicator for general health, for the purposes of policy formulation

Members don't see this ad :)
Kudos to you!
Dental public health is an important issue. It is also an issue that needs more attention.

I recommend that you look into Columbia University. They have a dental program there which has some faculty there that are leaders in dental public health. Here is the web site: http://dental.columbia.edu/

Dennis Mitchell is on faculty there and he actually does a lot of work in dental public health in NYC.

In terms of where to start, I would do a literature search and find what the major issues are and then start looking for faculty who would be good mentors.

Thanks for the tip gilbert......Yah I know about COlumbia and Ive already applied to their program and havent heard anything yet...they have a program in global dental public health that would be perfect for me, and I really hope to get an interview! Also, Boston Uni has a post-doc program in dental public health that looks interesting......From the interviews I have so far, only Temple and Tufts offer a combined DMD/MPH program, so I hope I can get into at least one of those!

Thanks again for your advice...it seems that no one on SDN is interested in dental public health :(

UMDNJ also has a DMD/MPH program. I know that they have a dMPH program... I dont think its that good. I would suggest that you do a DMD and then get an MPH in international health. I recently had the opportunity to visit Ethiopia and was amazed at the incompetence of UNICEF to handle oral health. I definitely think there is a lot of scope in this field.

Harvard also has a lot of fellowship opportunities that you can take advantage of following your degree. From what I hear, they've got a lot opportunities, and some may be international.

university of michigan does too, plus they also have the dental schl so makes for great research opportunities