Dental School Choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B0wMNj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I don't know too much about chances regarding getting into specific dental schools. I always have thought that you apply broadly and hope you get into your top choice. I can't afford to waste too much money on applying to a lot of dental schools and traveling for interviews, so I would really appreciate it if you guys can tell me if I'm on the right track in terms of the number of dental schools I want to apply to. I am a NY resident.

I have 3.89 GPA, 23/24/24 DAT score
100 hrs shadowing, 70 hrs volunteering in dental clinic, volunteering at hospital for 100 hrs, and bike instructor volunteer. I also worked part time through undergrad. I will also be starting research in periodontics about 4 days before the application cycle opens.

I only want to apply to Columbia, Stony Brook, NYU, Buffalo and UPenn.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply only where you'd want to go/live. You can be selective. Based on the snapshot of your app you shared, you don't need to over apply. You'd just be throwing time and money away. No one knows for sure, but I'd doubt you'd get shut out just sticking to those five schools.

Reactions: 1 users
You should be fine sticking to those schools. Just make sure that you practice for your interviews.

I applied to 5 schools as well. I think you will be fine. Like jeffity said, only apply to places you would genuinely consider attending--otherwise, you're just throwing money down the drain.

Reactions: 1 user
Consider applying to UCONN like Screwtape said, but other than that, I think you're set.