Dental School Expenses/Average Indebtedness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stateu2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So according to the most recent ADEA guide, only 1/5 dental school graduates is >$250,000 in debt. Can anyone explain to me how this number is so low?

At first I assumed it must be because there are a large number of students on armed forces scholarship, but the guide goes on to say that only 1/5 graduates has debt of <$80,000.

Considering the fact that "cheap" schools will still cost ~$50,000/yr to attend, and (the majority) expensive schools will cost >$80,000/yr, and the fact that interest is accruing all the while you are in school, and the fact that many dental students still carry undergrad, it is unfathomable to me how few students go into "extreme" debt (>$250,000) for the dental education. I mean, even $50,000/yr will end up being close to $250,000 at graduation, and that is assuming no undergrad debt.

All I can come up with is that I am DRASTICALLY underestimating the amount of students that are getting a huge amount of help from family, or perhaps that dental schools are drastically overstating the true cost of living/attendance.

----------------------------------

Additional random ?'s (sorry to have a multi-topic thread, but it seems better than me starting multiple threads at once)

- How terrible would it be to take the DAT without having taken Organic 2? Or without Cell Bio, for that matter? I know this has been discussed to an extent, but would like a few more opinions on the matter.

- Is it viewed unfavorably by dental schools to apply after completing your bachelor's (rather than after 3 years) if you will not be taking any classes in the "gap year"?

- Hypothetically speaking, would someone who has no volunteer experience to date be able to apply by June of 2012 and still have a reasonable chance at acceptance? Or would it look phony to have only ~6 months of volunteer experience?

- Is paid tutoring considered strictly employment? Or is it also an EC? Or community service?

- If you practicum/TA a class, yet are also technically enrolled (how my school does it, you would be enrolled in an upper-level bio, for example, BIO 990 - Biology Practicum) for credit, will this count on your sGPA? Would it count as an EC? Community service?

Sorry for being so long-winded. Thanks, everyone, in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

When I noticed the (relatively) low average debt I assumed that it had to do with family contributions. Lots of dental students come from professional families right? Even I will have living expenses covered.

Cell bio helps, as would orgo 2, but with with lots of studying I don't think it will matter. The cell material will be basic and things like the DAT destroyer will get you through orgo.

I think the gap year is one of the more common non-traditional paths to d-school. If your stats are good, it probably won't be an issue. (I think)

Idk about your other q's

Good luck.