Dental School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuxDrugs&Rocuronium

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've asked this before, but my school list has changed a little and since the application is open I figured I'd get some more input on the schools i'm planning on applying to.

My stats:
Utah Resident
Graduated in Biochemistry (Cum Laude)
oGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.55
DAT: 26AA/27TS/22PAT
300+ volunteer hours (in a hospital, elementary schools, church based, and at my undergrad)
2 semesters as a Human Anatomy lab instructor (includes teaching a weekly lab to students and performing dissections on human cadaver)
1.5 years leadership as a supervisor at my part time job
Private Tutor for 2 years
100+ shadowing hours ( I plan on having 100+ by the time i apply next summer)
2 year LDS mission ( I'm not sure if this helps at all, but we were required to do at least 4 hours of volunteer service each week)
Fluent in Portuguese

I would like to go somewhere west coast or midwest. I'm not very interested in moving to the east coast. So far here are the schools I have been looking at:

UCLA
University of Utah
UNLV
University of Oregon
UoP
Creighton
Louisville
Marquette
VCU
Buffalo
Ohio State
All three Texas schools

I don't really care much about research, so tuition has been the biggest factor so far along with location. Any help or advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

There are threads regarding which states allow you to establish residency in dental school. I'd look into those threads if COA is your main factor. California is a state where you can establish residency after D1, and UCSF (like UCLA) hits your two biggest concerns, so I'd add it to your list.

I wouldn’t risk applying to Texas state schools since you’re not from Texas

Members don't see this ad :)
consider UCLA and UCSF, I have similar stats to your and I'll be applying there this cycle. not the cheapest cost of attendance but very good weather. and definitely apply to all Texas schools as they are the best option by far if you get in.

There are threads regarding which states allow you to establish residency in dental school. I'd look into those threads if COA is your main factor. California is a state where you can establish residency after D1, and UCSF (like UCLA) hits your two biggest concerns, so I'd add it to your list.
Even if tuition does become in state after D1, what about their out of state friendliness? If chances of admission are very low for out of state students, is there any point in paying the application fees there?

Even if tuition does become in state after D1, what about their out of state friendliness? If chances of admission are very low for out of state students, is there any point in paying the application fees there?

I think so. It’s $100-200 you’re spending to apply vs a possible 100k difference in tuition. I think the benefits outweighs the risk. That’s why I’m applying to Texas. It was $165 for all three schools and although it’s a long shot, it’s a huge potential savings in tuition cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk