Dental School Loan Calculator Simulator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would this dental school loan calculator be useful for you?

• Yes

Votes: 38 95.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • There are others out there that are better (write in comment section please)

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

dieanotherday

Class of 2018. Yay... :)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DSLC1.PNG

My husband, the best programmer ever just made me this tool. Extremely helpful in determining what it will be like calculating total loans based off of the Direct Plus and Direct Unsubsidized Loans and their respective interest rates. These windows can be edited for whichever amounts corresponding to whichever interest amounts as well. The control on bottom is where you put your monthly payment of how much you want to pay and you click go to see what will be like.

So for my loans: $280,000, at the end of 4 years my interest that has accrued while in dental school is:
$44,243 making my total loan amount by the end of d school to be: $322,790
This is an approximation because the double values were casted to integers therefore some dollars might have been lost in the process when you get rid of the cent values.

the middle column is the amount of interest per month your loan is accruing
assuming a $3,000 payment a month you will be paying $0 towards the principal since my original is $280,000.

Let me know what you guys think of it and private message me if you want it. I can dropbox it for you. This forum doesn't let me upload .exe

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to add that when you enter repayment, the interest accrued during dental school capitalizes into your principle therefore the total cost is slightly more since you are accruing interest on a higher principle after 4 years.
May need to tweak the algorithm as needed.

Just wanted to add that when you enter repayment, the interest accrued during dental school capitalizes into your principle therefore the total cost is slightly more since you are accruing interest on a higher principle in after years.
May need to tweak the algorithm as needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he already took care of that since loans enter into repayment as you get th
Therefore the interest accrued during d school was 44k

For example the first loans you get accrue interest at 1.05 and 1.06 and then the second year loans is added onto the first year and then that total amount is multipled by 1.05 and 1.06 and so and so forth

Then 3rd gets add to 1 and 2 and then 4th gets added to 1,2 and 3

And since loans are just sitting accruing interest throughout the entirety of 4 years the amount is still accruing interest even when you start paying them back which is why for the first year you have only paid interest depending on the amount of monthly payment

One thing he did not do was add in the 1.0 loan interest fee that is applied immediately for each respective loan as I'm trying to understand that so he can implement it. Either way it's a work in progress with everyone's input it can only get better and be useful to a lot of people.

I made an excel document that has all of this information. If I had some programming knowledge I would have made something similar, but unfortunately, I only know excel. If you want to use the formulas in that, feel free. Hopefully this helps!

One thing he did not do was add in the 1.0 loan interest fee that is applied immediately for each respective loan as I'm trying to understand that so he can implement it. Either way it's a work in progress with everyone's input it can only get better and be useful to a lot of people.

Just read this. The loan origination fee is taken out of the loan itself - it does not increase the loan principle, and thus is already accounted for in the calculations given.

You can also ZERO out all amounts if you just want to calculate 1, 2, or just 3 years etc and it will still do the correct calculation.

You can also change interest amounts and principal loan amount.

bump
i have used the app and found it very helpful, especially how the monthly payments are broken down, and how long it will take to finish repaying the loans, i am seeing smoe big numbers and that def put things into perspective

View attachment 177920

My husband, the best programmer ever just made me this tool. Extremely helpful in determining what it will be like calculating total loans based off of the Direct Plus and Direct Unsubsidized Loans and their respective interest rates. These windows can be edited for whichever amounts corresponding to whichever interest amounts as well. The control on bottom is where you put your monthly payment of how much you want to pay and you click go to see what will be like.

So for my loans: $280,000, at the end of 4 years my interest that has accrued while in dental school is:
This is an approximation because the double values were casted to integers therefore some dollars might have been lost in the process when you get rid of the cent values.

assuming a $3,000 payment a month you will be paying $0 towards the principal since my original is $280,000.

Let me know what you guys think of it and private message me if you want it. I can dropbox it for you. This forum doesn't let me upload .exe

Do you still have this?

View attachment 177920

Wow I think this is absolutely awesome amd I would be very interested in obtaining and using it.