Dental school with 3 retakes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mywaydental

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,

To keep this concise as possible I will get straight to the point. I had a 2.4 gpa and raised it to a 3.4 and hopefully I can raise it a tad bit more by the end these last quarters. However, what i'm worried about is the retakes. I got a D in calculus 1 & 2 and failed calculus 3. I have since retaken them and received A's in all three. Although it feels good to redeem those courses i'm worried about how dental schools will see the failures and retakes.



If i can score a 22+ on the DAT, what do you think my chances of acceptance is?
 
Hello Everyone,

To keep this concise as possible I will get straight to the point. I had a 2.4 gpa and raised it to a 3.4 and hopefully I can raise it a tad bit more by the end these last quarters. However, what i'm worried about is the retakes. I got a D in calculus 1 & 2 and failed calculus 3. I have since retaken them and received A's in all three. Although it feels good to redeem those courses i'm worried about how dental schools will see the failures and retakes.



If i can score a 22+ on the DAT, what do you think my chances of acceptance is?

They don't mind retakes as long as you do well the second time, which you did.

I'd say your chances are good. Apply broadly and selectively.
 
Are you calculating your GPA with both grades for that particular course? Even if you got a 21+ with a 3.4 GPA you would still have good chances. Good luck on the DAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First, get a 22+. It's harder said then done.
But, in theory, you would not have trouble getting in with a 21+ dat and 3.4 GPA even with retakes.
Best wishes.
 
Just so you know they calculate the failed grades in as well
See, I did not know that. I think that brings me down to a 3.1-3.2 according to their calculations. I will score a 22 or better on the DAT so maybe that will redeem the lower gpa. My university replace the grade altogether so thats why I mentioned it as 3.4.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!
 
See, I did not know that. I think that brings me down to a 3.1-3.2 according to their calculations. I will score a 22 or better on the DAT so maybe that will redeem the lower gpa. My university replace the grade altogether so thats why I mentioned it as 3.4.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

22+ will get you in with good LOR, SOP and EC.