Dental schools that calculate GPA w/ grade replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fallenfromgrace

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that ADEA AADSAS takes all grades into account for their GPA calculation, but the official calculation page also says that "Many college/universities count only the 'new' grade in the repeated course(s) in GPA computation" in case you've repeated a course. Does anyone have a list or know of any schools that do this?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that ADEA AADSAS takes all grades into their GPA calculation, but the official calculation page also says that "Many college/universities count only the 'new' grade in the repeated course(s) in GPA computation" in case you've repeated a course. Does anyone have a list or know of any schools that do this?

Dental schools do not "calculate GPA w/ grade replacement."

I looked up the regulation you are mentioning on the ADEA AADSAS website- That sentence that you quoted is explaining why ADEA AADSAS GPAs may differ from that of your undergrad. college. If you go to a college that disregards the old course when calculating your GPA, your AADSAS GPA will be different from your college's overall GPA since AADSAS WILL take the old course into account.

Here is the full regulation:

"
Factors that may result in a GPA calculation that is different from the transcript include the following:

1. Many colleges/universities count only the new grade in repeated course(s) in GPA computation. ADEA AADSAS counts the previously earned grade and the new grade. For example, if you took Introduction to Biology in fall 2012 and earned a grade of C, then retook the same course in spring 2013 and earned an A, ADEA AADSAS would use both the C grade and the A grade to calculate the GPA."

Reactions: 1 users
Dental schools do not "calculate GPA w/ grade replacement."

I looked up the regulation you are mentioning on the ADEA AADSAS website- That sentence that you quoted is explaining why ADEA AADSAS GPAs may differ from that of your undergrad. college. If you go to a college that disregards the old course when calculating your GPA, your AADSAS GPA will be different from your college's overall GPA since AADSAS WILL take the old course into account.

Here is the full regulation:

"
Factors that may result in a GPA calculation that is different from the transcript include the following:

1. Many colleges/universities count only the new grade in repeated course(s) in GPA computation. ADEA AADSAS counts the previously earned grade and the new grade. For example, if you took Introduction to Biology in fall 2012 and earned a grade of C, then retook the same course in spring 2013 and earned an A, ADEA AADSAS would use both the C grade and the A grade to calculate the GPA."
Damn you're fast!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know that ADEA AADSAS takes all grades into account for their GPA calculation, but the official calculation page also says that "Many college/universities count only the 'new' grade in the repeated course(s) in GPA computation" in case you've repeated a course. Does anyone have a list or know of any schools that do this?
@Incis0r is right.
When they talk about schools that do grade replacement, they are talking about undergrad, not dental schools. So if you retake a course at undergrad with a better grade, the old one goes away. That's not the case with dental school applications. As far as I know, only osteopathic medical schools do that.

Reactions: 1 users
@Incis0r is right.
When they talk about schools that do grade replacement, they are talking about undergrad, not dental schools. So if you retake a course at undergrad with a better grade, the old one goes away. That's not the case with dental school applications. As far as I know, only osteopathic medical schools do that.

Optometry does as well if courses are taken in the same institution.
Useless info i know.. but just wanted to throw it in there :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

I feel the question was left mostly unanswered.

Is there a single accredited dental school in the United States of America that calculates gpa with grade replacement?

Hi,

Is there a single accredited dental school in the United States of America that calculates gpa with grade replacement?

Seems like too much extra work lol. AADSAS calculates your GPA. Insanely breaks it down. Schools get 1000+ applications. I doubt they take the time to go back to calculat GPA will grade replacement when it is easier to just plug in what AADSAS gave them into their excel sheet. ... I may be wrong but doubt there are any

Hi,

No.

Reactions: 1 user