This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smb660

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on choosing schools that have programs with direct attention to the older adult, physically and mentally challenged and/or complex medical histories?

Members don't see this ad.

PITT

It was the only school I interviewed at that focused on treating special needs patients. I don't think many other schools in the country do that sort of thing.

Reactions: 3 users
Special needs training is also found in peds residency, so consider that if you are interested. In one of the offices I worked in prior to dental school we exclusively saw patients with developmental disabilities. Incredibly challenging, but also incredibly rewarding. That group of people tends to be very underserved. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
might be wrong but I think Maryland also has a special needs clinic

This is a great question. Volunteering with special needs and working directly with them is extremely challenging. I can only imagine how MUCH MORE challenging it would be to do this as a dentist. It's good to know that some programs do focus on this training. You definitely need some sort of training. But then again, experience is the best teacher for training so there's that too.

Pitt and Tufts have great predoc experiences with special needs patients