dental schools with pbl curriculum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetbitna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

just wondering, beside USC, which dental schools also use PBL curriculum?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard and Indiana... that's all I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJ = New Jersey dental school has a large component of their learning as PBL case studies. Hope this helps!

UConn also...

NYUCD is also incorporating PBL approach to its curriculum

Please enlighten me. What is PBL? I obviously haven't done my research.

For those of you who go to a school that uses PBL, what do you think about it?

We are a school that rarely uses PBL in the first 2 years. Personally, I think some PBL is needed for a well rounded education. If you don't use PBL to a degree, you miss out on being able to appy the info you learn in school. If you solely rely on PBL, you miss out on a lot of info that is taught or have to learn this info on your own. Personally, I would like to see a school that taught about 75% old-school method and 25% PBL. This way you could learn what you need to know and then spend a lot of time applying the info to real life problems.

For those of you who go to a school that uses PBL, what do you think about it?

Harvard has a hybrid sort of curriculum. So far we have as many hours of PBL/clinic sessions as lectures. There is a direct application of what we are taught during the lectures. The pbl/tutorial sessions re-enforce those concepts and makes it easier during the exams.

Thanks for the info!
It does seem like a mix of PBL and traditional lectures would be more beneficial for students. I like it how you guys get to practice what you learn in lecture in a clinical situation.