dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainman

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am just wondering if anyone knows about case western reserve in cleveland, ohio, and tufts in boston.
even a single shred of info would be really appreciated.
i need to send a deposit soon, therefore, i'd like to know which school would be better for me.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Rainman,

Congrats on both acceptances! I can only offer you a "shred" of info, but perhaps you already know this. There was a thread (I tried to find it to direct you, but was unsuccessful) that a current Tufts student responded to (about BU dental school). I e-mailed him to ask for more info, and part of what he told me indicated that Tufts really doesn't emphasize the clinic until the 3rd and 4th years. He said that they get their own patients at the end of the 2nd year. However, they do get a little exposure in a certain course before then called ICE (Intro to Clinical Experience). Now, from only what I read from Case Western's brochures, it sounded like they get more clinical exposure earlier. But you should check this out to compare.

So, perhaps something you can factor in your decision (depending on the importance of this and other factors to you) is whether you want to emphasize biomedical sciences your 1st two years or whether you want to go somewhere that emphasizes early clinical exposure.

Hope this was a helpful "shred" of info! Good luck to you!

------------------
You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Hi again. I found the topic that the Tufts student responded to. Look under "Dental (DDS/DMD)" and click to see "all topics", not just those of the past 20 days. Then you'll see a thread for BU Dental.

Also, having seen your other post in the Dental forum, my feeling is that everywhere you go the students are going to be stressed and have a lot of work. Maybe the question to be asking is how typical is it to have to go into labs on the weekend. I do know that at other schools the students say that if you don't finish your work during the regular scheduled lab time you do need to go in to finish on your own time.

------------------
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for your info.
i was a little disappointed that nobody had replied to my message, but you brightened my day.
thank you.
i am wondering if you know anything about univ. of southern california.
i have an interview scheduled with the school soon.
i have heard that usc has a very good clinical program.
do you know if this is true?
because i am more interested in schools with more clinical orientation.
have a nice day.

rainman

Well, I'm from the northeast and don't have the foggiest idea about USC's program. (I know that UCSF has a great reputation, but that doesn't exactly help you!
wink.gif
) Do you have either their brochure(s) or the wonderful AADS Admissions Requirements book? The most I'd be able to do would be to check in the book for you if you don't have it. Other thoughts: check their website (linked to ADA or AADSAS). Sorry I can't help much, but good luck on your interview! Sounds like you're pretty lucky to be getting one at this point in the cycle!!

------------------
--Eleanor Roosevelt

[This message has been edited by DentalDi (edited 04-05-2000).]