DISCUSS: New dental schools for 2025 and after?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The 2024-2025 cycle will be interesting as many new dental schools will begin recruiting to fill inaugural classes, likely during the cycle pending CODA decisions. Read this brief (which includes a school opening dental hygiene programs).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yay more dentists for the workforce. This should address the workforce shortage.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG_0743.gif

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
annnnndddddd it keeps getting worst, outlook for dentistry was already in decline and now they want to pump more dentists out? This is not good at all.

Reactions: 1 user
To bump this thread back up, Go Dental and Go Cheaply!
note that all of these schools that are cheap for non-residents are very OOS unfriendly, and that their OOS stats are generally higher because of the lower cost leading to competition for those seats...

note that all of these schools that are cheap for non-residents are very OOS unfriendly, and that their OOS stats are generally higher because of the lower cost leading to competition for those seats...
sorry, i should specify that this applies to howard, puerto rico and missouri much less than the other schools...

annnnndddddd it keeps getting worst, outlook for dentistry was already in decline and now they want to pump more dentists out? This is not good at all.
hey man, as long as there is some dentist out there making 1 mil takehome on 18% overhead, then how can one say dentistry ain't good no more.

/sarcasm

Members don't see this ad :)
No wonder some corporate dental offices in highly saturated areas only offering $120k a year. Lol

Also, Roseman is increasing its class size and has just opened a new location in Nevada (class size 20 this year -> 40 students next year). The Utah location is increasing to 120 this year and 136 next year. Who knows how much larger they will grow too.

Bumping up for the Ohio applicants. They anticipate accepting AADSAS applications in 2024-2025.

Add: In-person monthly tours have been scheduled.

Last edited:
Another new school…?
It is listed in the first press release... just posting their admissions website which will have opportunities to schedule with their admissions recruiter (once those are placed on their Calendly widget). I hadn't seen it before, and I'm monitoring when they'll make the announcement that their shop is open for applications in AADSAS.

Another school anticipated for its inaugural class recruitment in this AADSAS 2025 cycle:
Tanner/Pikeville: Dental Medicine | UPIKE | University of Pikeville - Pikeville, Kentucky

Note the volunteer service hours requirement/expectation (200 hours over the last 5 years) and forms for documenting shadowing and service on that page.
Our normal advising recommendation is to gain 100 hours of community service before submission.

Nothing has been posted about tuition or other costs as of this post.

(Helping the moderators setting up the new threads for 2024-2025.)

Last edited:
Pacific Northwest University expects to recruit for its inaugural class in 2025.

Monthly recruitment sessions via Zoom (beginning May 21):

Review the website for details about requirements, including LORs and anticipated costs of attendance (tuition $75K + $10K additional).

Workman/High Point University School of Dental Medicine will NOT be using AADSAS for 2024-2025. Their own application portal will open May 1.

Pay attention to their admissions process (CARE curriculum): https://www.highpoint.edu/dental-medicine/files/2023/08/WSDMAdmitModel2024.pdf

Monthly information sessions begin on May 14: Campus Visit: Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)

Thank you @Mr.Smile12 for getting these links. I will be creating the threads this weekend for the newer schools and we will work with admin to get new SDN interview pages set up
Whatever I can do to get the recon for these. Workman HPU will open May 1, but we'll see when the others will open for applications since I don't think they will open on May 6 with AADSAS.

But this is a lot of new schools! I don't think we've had this many openings since the late 2000's. I don't remember three openings on the same cycle off-hand.

Whatever I can do to get the recon for these. Workman HPU will open May 1, but we'll see when the others will open for applications since I don't think they will open on May 6 with AADSAS.

But this is a lot of new schools! I don't think we've had this many openings since the late 2000's. I don't remember three openings on the same cycle off-hand.
Should be interesting to see how many students they're able to recruit. Taking a look, PNWU and UPike do not require the dat, but PNWU is a full letter grade above most schools' prerequisite grade requirements requiring applicants to have a minimum of a B to apply. Will be curious to see how PNWU handles being cheaper than UW and if able to pull some of those students away due to costs and how UPike attracts students from the other two Kentucky schools.

Should be interesting to see how many students they're able to recruit. Taking a look, PNWU and UPike do not require the dat, but PNWU is a full letter grade above most schools' prerequisite grade requirements requiring applicants to have a minimum of a B to apply. Will be curious to see how PNWU handles being cheaper than UW and if able to pull some of those students away due to costs and how UPike attracts students from the other two Kentucky schools.
Oh! I haven't had a chance to dive deeper into requirements (I'm busy signing up for virtual tours :) and outreach). They sound like they intend to start with the AADSAS opening in May (but will they???).

That should be interesting to lift the DAT requirement. BUT They seem focused on the rural/WWAMI workforce... and Oregon!
"... emphasizing service in rural and medically underserved areas throughout the Pacific Northwest states of Washington, Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Montana."

Looks like we will need to post updates for applicants!

Oh! I haven't had a chance to dive deeper into requirements (I'm busy signing up for virtual tours :) and outreach). They sound like they intend to start with the AADSAS opening in May (but will they???).

That should be interesting to lift the DAT requirement. BUT They seem focused on the rural/WWAMI workforce... and Oregon!
"... emphasizing service in rural and medically underserved areas throughout the Pacific Northwest states of Washington, Alaska, Idaho, Oregon, and Montana."

Looks like we will need to post updates for applicants!
I will be curious to see how schools going DAT optional will affect applicants and I will be especially curious to see how those applicants compare to traditional applicants who did take the DAT and went to schools requiring it.

I will be curious to see how schools going DAT optional will affect applicants and I will be especially curious to see how those applicants compare to traditional applicants who did take the DAT and went to schools requiring it.
Right... I want to see how HPU did. ;)

I think competition in dental education will make it better. Other schools will have to stop the garbage they are putting out and up their quality. However, this will saturate the market with new dentists