Dental to Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cookie_nibbler

Roseman DMD'26
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Im writing to get everyones input on my situation. I recently took the DAT and scored a 111 on it (adding all the sections together). I know some schools require at least a 105 on the DAT to be considered competitive. Im currently in the dental hygiene program and was applying this cycle. I really like the dental field given the fact that I get one-on-one patient interaction, which can also be seen in the optometry program. I just wanted to get everyones opinions and let me know what you think.

Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

The two fields are actually complete opposites.

Try shadowing both doctors and make a chart on what you like/don't like and go from there.

Reactions: 1 user
Considering you presented no other relevant information, aside from your dental experience, I would say you'd be happier with dental? Like the post above says, the two fields aren't similar, so that would be a decision you need to make based on more than "one on one patient interaction." Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I actually shadowed an optometrist that was in a similar situation as you. He didn't do too well on the DAT and so wrote the OAT instead, did well and ended up going to optometry school. Years later, he now regrets not retaking the DAT and choosing optometry just because it was an easier option in that moment. So if I've learned anything, you should choose what career you are most passionate about even if that takes a little more time and effort.

Reactions: 3 users
does anyone have the list of schools that take the DAT for optometry school?