Dentist as an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harmony14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my interviewers is a dentist. I don't know how to approach this because I will not see this man around medical school. Heck, he is the dean of the school of dentistry. What type of questions should I ask him?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my interviewers is a dentist. I don't know how to approach this because I will not see this man around medical school. Heck, he is the dean of the school of dentistry. What type of questions should I ask him?
What do you mean “approach this”. Answer his questions honestly, put your best foot forward, and know why you want to go to that school. As for questions you can ask him, I’m sure there will be some that come up organically in the interview. If you’re worried about this (which you shouldn’t be), ask about campus culture or something along those lines while obviously not asking anything to do with being a physician.

What do you mean “approach this”. Answer his questions honestly, put your best foot forward, and know why you want to go to that school. As for questions you can ask him, I’m sure there will be some that come up organically in the interview. If you’re worried about this (which you shouldn’t be), ask about campus culture or something along those lines while obviously not asking anything to do with being a physician.

thank you. I typically ask questions about the program and clubs and preceptor groups of the school so I was worried about what to ask someone who is not involved in any of those. I will definitely ask about the school culture and student body.

Members don't see this ad :)
If someone is interviewing candidates for medical school, I would feel comfortable asking that person questions about the medical school--even if they are not a doctor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't be so quick to assume that someone of the dental school has no role in the medical school. I could see someone in that role being a lecturer on head and neck anatomy, head and neck cancer, collaborative efforts by dentists and physicians in the treatment of those cancers, fetal anomolies related to the teeth.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
A number of medical schools use outside members of the community as interviewers. So, your meeting with the Dean is less informative about the school, and more a 1:1 to prove that you're a good human being.

Reactions: 1 users
This happened to me at Foster and it turned out totally fine! She ended up telling me a lot about the dental school and I listened politely, then she suggested I ask questions specific to living in El Paso. I asked about availability of good hiking spots as my dog and I hike a lot. At the end, I thanked her for telling me about her experiences with the dental school since this wasn't an area I knew much about. I told her I found it interesting and she reminded me that as a family physician (something I'm interested in), dental care was important too. I promised her I would stress that to my patients. :) I've already gotten an acceptance at Foster now. Don't stress about this, just be human and you'll be fine!

Reactions: 2 users