Dentist Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muggs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I went to my family dentist today for a routine checkup and had a conversation with him about my interest in applying to dental school. I shadowed my dentist for roughly 15 hours 2 years ago. Since then, I have shadowed a different GP dentist (30 hours), oral surgeon (30 hours), and plan to shadow another GP dentist for 25 hours when I go back to school. I was planning on asking the dentist I have yet to shadow for a recommendation, because he has served as a kind of mentor to me throughout my pre-dental career thus far. He is familiar with some of the dental-related volunteer work I have done thus far (he helped me get a particular volunteering stint). I have also met with him on my school's campus where we had a very long and helpful conversation about academics, DAT, and any other questions I had.

Anyways, my family dentist today said that he would be happy to write me a recommendation (without me asking him). I believe he is a genuinely nice guy and would write me a good recommendation, but I am worried because I don't think I have left any sort of impression on him during the hours I shadowed him. If I was in his position, I don't know what I would write about (me), except for what would be a general cookie-cutter recommendation. By the way, he said that he would be more than happy to write one, adding on that "I was a good kid".

So my question is, who do you think I should go with for the recommendation. Again, I'm sure my family dentist would write me a positive recommendation, but I just don't know if it would be specifically catered to my own interests/passion for the field, but rather general comments.

Members don't see this ad.

So I went to my family dentist today for a routine checkup and had a conversation with him about my interest in applying to dental school. I shadowed my dentist for roughly 15 hours 2 years ago. Since then, I have shadowed a different GP dentist (30 hours), oral surgeon (30 hours), and plan to shadow another GP dentist for 25 hours when I go back to school. I was planning on asking the dentist I have yet to shadow for a recommendation, because he has served as a kind of mentor to me throughout my pre-dental career thus far. He is familiar with some of the dental-related volunteer work I have done thus far (he helped me get a particular volunteering stint). I have also met with him on my school's campus where we had a very long and helpful conversation about academics, DAT, and any other questions I had.

Anyways, my family dentist today said that he would be happy to write me a recommendation (without me asking him). I believe he is a genuinely nice guy and would write me a good recommendation, but I am worried because I don't think I have left any sort of impression on him during the hours I shadowed him. If I was in his position, I don't know what I would write about (me), except for what would be a general cookie-cutter recommendation. By the way, he said that he would be more than happy to write one, adding on that "I was a good kid".

So my question is, who do you think I should go with for the recommendation. Again, I'm sure my family dentist would write me a positive recommendation, but I just don't know if it would be specifically catered to my own interests/passion for the field, but rather general comments.

go with your family dentist. give him a resume/cv and a copy of your personal statement if possible

You're only aiming for 100 shadowing hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
go with your family dentist. give him a resume/cv and a copy of your personal statement if possible

hey predent,

thanks for the quick reply. I'm just wondering if there is a particular reason you suggested the family dentist. I agree that giving him a copy of those things will definitely help.

I would think so....unless other parts of your app or cv reflect a continued interest in the field (volunteering, pre-dental club, working/assisting at a clinic, summer program at a dental school...just to name a few). Seems you're only putting in minimal shadowing hours IMO

Yeah. Do you suggest doing more?
You don't need to do more. Most people on SDN go way overkill with shadowing numbers. Schools look at it as important, but its not THAT important. The minimum number of shadowing hours is more like 40-50.

I would think so....unless other parts of your app or cv reflect a continued interest in the field (volunteering, pre-dental club, working/assisting at a clinic, summer program at a dental school...just to name a few). Seems you're only putting in minimal shadowing hours IMO

Yeah I've done volunteering (oral hygiene educational sessions to elderly/disabled residents) and have worked as an assistant at a local dental clinic catered to the financially challenged.

On a similar note, I thought that there were a lot of applicants that didn't even fulfill the minimum recommended amount of shadowing hours and that that didn't have much of an effect at all on their acceptance(s). Aren't the recommended shadowing hours around 30 for most schools anyways?

Also, any more people have any input on the original question I posted?

Last edited:
You don't need to do more. Most people on SDN go way overkill with shadowing numbers. Schools look at it as important, but its not THAT important. The minimum number of shadowing hours is more like 40-50.

Someones in a deep coma :sleep:

To OP, go with the one that knows you best

My opinion on your question would depend on the situation.

Are you planning on applying ASAP? If so, I would definitely go with your family dentist. Give him your info like preDENT said, and maybe even schedule a meeting (if possible) so you guys can get acquainted, etc...

Do you have all the time in the world? If so, I would go with the other dentist who is your true mentor.

P.S. I think 100 hours of shadowing is sufficient, especially with your other dental related experiences. And I think it's great that you are shadowing several different dentists and an oral surgeon to get those 100 hrs.

100 hours is plenty....... enough said on that topic. Go with the one that can write the more personalized letter.