Dentistry Without Drills: Paint Your Cavities Away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fullosseousflap

Wet-Gloved Dentist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The New York Times reports that Japanese researchers say they have found a way to produce an artificial tooth enamel that is chemically like the real thing.

The discovery, they report in the current issue of Nature, may allow dentists to fill some cavities without using a drill.

Read about it here.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been reading about it in mainstream news, but I haven't had a chance to pick up a copy of nature to look at it.

I just wonder about the efficacy of the material as opposed to restorative procedures. Granted the "paint on enamel" is only being pushed for very small caries lesions from what i saw.

CJWolf said:
I've been reading about it in mainstream news, but I haven't had a chance to pick up a copy of nature to look at it.

I just wonder about the efficacy of the material as opposed to restorative procedures. Granted the "paint on enamel" is only being pushed for very small caries lesions from what i saw.
Yup. It might have potential for the future...but right now it doesn't seem all that superior to simple restorative sealants.

CJWolf said:

Just the beginning.... the implications are for better cements and biomimitic restorative materials.

The profession has been awaiting these type of materials since the begiinning of modern dentistry.