Departing from CWRU's "Hold List"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopaminophile

nerd extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the much anticipated April 15 decision time approaches, I'd like to hear if others have gotten off of the "hold list" yet. If you were put into this category last year and got in, got waitlisted, or got rejected, let us know what the time-frame for that was! I'm eagerly anticipating word... anyone else?

-dope-

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP (im in same situation)!!!

gbiz said:
BUMP (im in same situation)!!!
April 15th is the date that we'll hear back?

Members don't see this ad :)
YzIa said:
April 15th is the date that we'll hear back?

For those of us who were given the decision of no decision!

gbiz said:
For those of us who were given the decision of no decision!
Well thats good to know, I pretty much gave up on Case after my interview/hold decision. Havn't sent an update/letter of interest or anything. I think I have sealed my fate.

YzIa said:
Well thats good to know, I pretty much gave up on Case after my interview/hold decision. Havn't sent an update/letter of interest or anything. I think I have sealed my fate.

Me too. I haven't sent anything to any of the schools that I've been waitlisted at. I'm happy with MCW and I couldn't really see myself living in Cleveland. I did love the school though.

ZappBrannigan said:
Me too. I haven't sent anything to any of the schools that I've been waitlisted at. I'm happy with MCW and I couldn't really see myself living in Cleveland. I did love the school though.
We have eerily similar situations. While Case was hands down a better program in my opinion, I felt I wouldn't attend the university program over MCW do to finances, comfort, and location (Cleveland did not impress me either) even if accepted. Now I am thinking twice about that position, but in reality there is little I could have/can do. I'm still crossing my fingers for the college program at Case :rolleyes:. That I definitely would move to Cleveland for.

I have to say it's good to hear that people haven't started getting letters yet. I decided today to make a last-ditch effort at persuading them to take me. I'm hoping that I can get something into my file before the ADCOM goes over the hold-list again. I dunno if they have or even if I have the process pegged. Maybe they made up their minds way back in November when they interviewed me.

Good luck to us all :luck: :luck: :luck: :D

If you read the letter is says acceptance offers are made through March. Hence it would stand to reason that if you did not hear in March, you will not be getting an acceptance<?>
They probably send out their reject/wl letters by April15th

Case was by far the school that least impressed me. Cleveland is a miserable depressing city, and the admissions staff struck me as kooky and weird. Not to mention as an URM they had me meet with some other URMs enrolled there in a meeting known as a "rap session". Is that supposed to be some sort of..how u say..double entendre?
The school was lame..they can shove their acceptance

I'm shamelessly bumping to see if anyone has gotten any news...

... and hoping that Troy is wrong.

I haven't heard of anyone accepted off of Case's Hold List up to this point, so I don't know if they actually did accept people as they went like they said they would do in their letter. But when I called last week or so the lady said that on April 15 they would send out acceptances, waitlists, or rejections to everyone on the hold list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Troyoncello26 said:
If you read the letter is says acceptance offers are made through March. Hence it would stand to reason that if you did not hear in March, you will not be getting an acceptance<?>
They probably send out their reject/wl letters by April15th

Case was by far the school that least impressed me. Cleveland is a miserable depressing city, and the admissions staff struck me as kooky and weird. Not to mention as an URM they had me meet with some other URMs enrolled there in a meeting known as a "rap session". Is that supposed to be some sort of..how u say..double entendre?
The school was lame..they can shove their acceptance

Until you have lived in Cleveland, you really shouldnt call it miserable and depressing... i've been here for 22 years, and i'm planning on spending another 4 at Case Med... it's actually a TON of fun and i dont think anyone can judge until they've been here for more than one afternoon... Also, the admissions staff members are INCREDIBLE. Dean Horwitz came here from Yale, and if you noticed the 2006 rankings, Case went up 4 places in research and 16 spots in primary care in the one year he has been here... pretty impressive. I can tell you weren't accepted because if you had been accepted and at Second Look weekend, your opinion would be completely different.

Kazema said:
I haven't heard of anyone accepted off of Case's Hold List up to this point, so I don't know if they actually did accept people as they went like they said they would do in their letter. But when I called last week or so the lady said that on April 15 they would send out acceptances, waitlists, or rejections to everyone on the hold list.

I spoke with the admissions staff on behalf of some of my friends who are on the hold list, and they said that most acceptances off the list wont start until in may... they have to wait for enough people to decline their positions before they have more spots to give away... they also said that the number of people off the wait list varies from 0 (last year) to half the class.

Sorry that's all the info I have... it's not much. But I wish everyone on the hold list the best of luck--Case is an INCREDIBLE school. I wish you all could have been at Second Look Weekend... everyone was awesome and we had a great time. So Case is worth the wait for sure. I hope to see some of you there in the fall!!

gz4444 said:
Until you have lived in Cleveland, you really shouldnt call it miserable and depressing... i've been here for 22 years, and i'm planning on spending another 4 at Case Med... it's actually a TON of fun and i dont think anyone can judge until they've been here for more than one afternoon... Also, the admissions staff members are INCREDIBLE. Dean Horwitz came here from Yale, and if you noticed the 2006 rankings, Case went up 4 places in research and 16 spots in primary care in the one year he has been here... pretty impressive. I can tell you weren't accepted because if you had been accepted and at Second Look weekend, your opinion would be completely different.

I'd have to agree...had I been accepted at Case I would have loved to stay in Cleveland for another four years. There are so many medical opportunities in Cleveland, and lots to do....one afternoon in here does not do it justice. Case is an great school in a great city. Give it another look before you decide its miserable!

gz4444 said:
I spoke with the admissions staff on behalf of some of my friends who are on the hold list, and they said that most acceptances off the list wont start until in may... they have to wait for enough people to decline their positions before they have more spots to give away... they also said that the number of people off the wait list varies from 0 (last year) to half the class.

Sorry that's all the info I have... it's not much. But I wish everyone on the hold list the best of luck--Case is an INCREDIBLE school. I wish you all could have been at Second Look Weekend... everyone was awesome and we had a great time. So Case is worth the wait for sure. I hope to see some of you there in the fall!!
gz, any inside info on how the hold-list falls apart or on waitlist movement?

Hi, I have nothing positive to contribute, but would just like to second the "Cleveland is a miserable, depressing city and Case is really weird" sentiment.

getunconcsious said:
Hi, I have nothing positive to contribute, but would just like to second the "Cleveland is a miserable, depressing city and Case is really weird" sentiment.
That makes the decision really easy for you then. Thanks for contributing.

**excess sarcasm splats onto shoe... first coat will take a while to dry**

Heh. I'm not a big fan of Cleveland but I did love Case. And I figure once I take off my black and gold sunglasses I won't mind Cleveland too much; I like Pittsburgh and am managing to live in Rochester so I probably could handle 4 years of Cleveland :laugh:.

Well... I'm sending off a last ditch letter tomorrow. Hopefully, Dr. Heneghan will get it Monday, have an epiphany, there will be an adcom meeting on Teusday, and they will change my reject into an accept! Hey, it could happen.

Good luck :luck: :luck: :luck:!

To us both ;)

Kazema said:
Heh. I'm not a big fan of Cleveland but I did love Case. And I figure once I take off my black and gold sunglasses I won't mind Cleveland too much; I like Pittsburgh and am managing to live in Rochester so I probably could handle 4 years of Cleveland :laugh:.

If you like Pittsburgh, then you should LOVE cleveland, haha. I hate pittsburgh!!

Inside info on the hold list: None. I tried to pry at Dr. Mehta and Dean Horwitz but they didn't really say too much. They don't know too much themselves I guess... but hold out if you really want to come here... I think (as with most schools) that most waitlist movement isn't until after May 15. SEND LETTERS OF INTENT AND UPDATED INFO!!! And if I stop by the admissions office I'll pry a little bit more for some info.

gz4444 said:
If you like Pittsburgh, then you should LOVE cleveland, haha. I hate pittsburgh!!

Inside info on the hold list: None. I tried to pry at Dr. Mehta and Dean Horwitz but they didn't really say too much. They don't know too much themselves I guess... but hold out if you really want to come here... I think (as with most schools) that most waitlist movement isn't until after May 15. SEND LETTERS OF INTENT AND UPDATED INFO!!! And if I stop by the admissions office I'll pry a little bit more for some info.
We appreciate it gz! I'm throwing everything I can think of at them. I finally made the leap today to say that I'd go there for sure if accepted, and I shot of a note to Dr. Heneghan to that effect. sheesh... lets hope! I don't think there's much more I can do until after the post-4/15 hands have been dealt. If it's not an accept or a reject then, it'll be a flood of letters up I-77!

gz4444 said:

So I want to know is it true that on your tour they did not take some of you guys through the hospital?
I heard they did that during second look weekend also. If they did that, then there is reason to be weary about Case! And dont defend them by saying they 4got!! That would not make sense!

So... is your implication that University Hospitals suck? What's your frame of reference? Only about half of the schools at which I interviewed took us on a tour of the hospitals. I'd say there can be insecurities about the application of HIPAA to med school tours on the wards. I dunno... I'd like to know where you're coming from though.

riceman04 said:
So I want to know is it true that on your tour they did not take some of you guys through the hospital?
I heard they did that during second look weekend also. If they did that, then there is reason to be weary about Case! And dont defend them by saying they 4got!! That would not make sense!

Umm...They took my interview group on a tour of the hospitals. :confused: Did other groups not get a tour?

getunconcsious said:
Umm...They took my interview group on a tour of the hospitals. :confused: Did other groups not get a tour?

We had a brief tour of the hospital, but I did not tour hospitals at schools like WashU and Vandy, so there is no reason to be unsure because of that... besides, Cleveland Clinic is #1 in the world in so many areas, University Hospitals are ranked very high for a lot of things, and Rainbow babies is the #5 children's hospital in the country (#1 in the Midwest). No reason to be uneasy about Case at all. It's moving up in the rankings pretty fast.

dopaminophile said:
We appreciate it gz! I'm throwing everything I can think of at them. I finally made the leap today to say that I'd go there for sure if accepted, and I shot of a note to Dr. Heneghan to that effect. sheesh... lets hope! I don't think there's much more I can do until after the post-4/15 hands have been dealt. If it's not an accept or a reject then, it'll be a flood of letters up I-77!

Good luck!!!! I hope you get in!!!

riceman04 said:

Im wary of your spelling skills. :p

UH is a beautiful hospital, i think its a shame if you DONT get to see it. I know they cut it out of the tour if there are time constraints.

gz4444 said:
Rainbow babies is the #5 children's hospital in the country (#1 in the Midwest). .
Since I'm on hold at Case (and in at MCW), I've got to bring this up. Children's Hospital of Wisconsin is the 3rd ranked children's hospital in the country, so that would make them the #1 in the midwest and Rainbow #2 at #5 overall. This is according to Child Magazine (http://www.child.com/kids/health_nutrition/top_hospitals04.jsp).
University Hospitals was great from what we saw as everyone else has said.

YzIa said:
Since I'm on hold at Case (and in at MCW), I've got to bring this up. Children's Hospital of Wisconsin is the 3rd ranked children's hospital in the country, so that would make them the #1 in the midwest and Rainbow #2 at #5 overall. This is according to Child Magazine (http://www.chw.org/display/displayFile.asp?docid=10956&filename=/documents/CMPressRelease.pdf).
University Hospitals was great from what we saw as everyone else has said.

The #5 and #1 gz quoted is US News.

Child Magazine actually ranks Rainbow and Babies #1 in the nation (two years ago). It might have changed

exmike said:
The #5 and #1 gz quoted is US News.

Child Magazine actually ranks Rainbow and Babies #1 in the nation.
Follow the link for the new rankings where Rainbow is 5 and CHW is 3. I couldn't find the US News report you speak of, could you provide a link?

EDIT: I edited the previous post and changed the link to show the Child Magazine rankings.

YzIa said:
Follow the link for the new rankings where Rainbow is 5 and CHW is 3. I couldn't find the US News report you speak of, could you provide a link?

Its probably last year? there is a big banner that says #1 child magazine next to the hospital. (i edited my last post b/c apparently there are new rankings?)

Anyway, not a big point, both schools have great peds hospitals.

The only thing I could find on US News was departmental rankings where Rainbow was 6 in pediatrics, but thats not a hospital ranking, just departmental.

Yeah, new, the child rankings that I am speaking of just came out a month ago.
I think I saw that banner when I interviewed. Its quite a lovely place.

I stayed with a friend who goes to Case for undergrad during my interview, and one of the first places she took me was the University Hospitals. I was amazed by how beautiful it was, especially the Atrium. I heard that some Case undergrads study at the Atrium when the libraries close b/c it was open 24-7; it's cool the hospital lets them stay. I, too, am keeping my fingers crossed for an acceptance from Case (though I'm afraid to hope too much since my interview was not the best). Guess we'll find out in a week or two!

Bumping for this week's mail... anyone heard anything?

dopaminophile said:
Bumping for this week's mail... anyone heard anything?

April 04, 2005

XXXXX X. XXXXX
#### XXXXXX
XXXXX XXX, MI #####

Dear, Mr. XXXXXXXXX:

We have completed the final selection of students for the calss entering in August, 2005 (EDIT, WHAT? THEY START IN JULY!). We are offering you a place on our alternate list in anitcipation of persons currently on our class roster withdrawing between now and the date of matriculation. The number of such changes is quite unpredictable so that we have no way of determing your chances of acceptance.

Sincerely your,
Amy Heneghan, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions

gbiz said:
April 04, 2005

XXXXX X. XXXXX
#### XXXXXX
XXXXX XXX, MI #####

Dear, Mr. XXXXXXXXX:

We have completed the final selection of students for the calss entering in August, 2005 (EDIT, WHAT? THEY START IN JULY!). We are offering you a place on our alternate list in anitcipation of persons currently on our class roster withdrawing between now and the date of matriculation. The number of such changes is quite unpredictable so that we have no way of determing your chances of acceptance.

Sincerely your,
Amy Heneghan, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions

Is this a typed version of a letter you received?

ps - Case does start in August, CCLCM starts in July.

I got a rejection today. It was pretty much expected and saved me the hassle of turning them down so it all works out. Better luck to the rest of you.

ZappBrannigan said:
I got a rejection today. It was pretty much expected and saved me the hassle of turning them down so it all works out. Better luck to the rest of you.

HA YOURE ZAPP BRANNIGAN!!!!! I just recently got into that show ;)

YzIa said:
Is this a typed version of a letter you received?

ps - Case does start in August, CCLCM starts in July.

No way, I am 100% sure they told us they started in July- because they even told us that we need to have about $2000 of our own money, since school starts before we can get our financial aid! Also, thats why their deadline is April 15th instead of May 15th to narrow down to one choice!

Everything by Case is snail mail.

gbiz said:
HA YOURE ZAPP BRANNIGAN!!!!! I just recently got into that show ;)

It's a great show, cancelled in its prime. :mad:

ZappBrannigan said:
It's a great show, cancelled in its prime. :mad:

I never really got into it when it was on, maybe it was on a poor time

That was my biggest problem with family guy, it was on a horrible time, but I loved that show. I am so glad that one is coming back!

So you guys have already gotten your letters from Case? I've still heard nothing. :confused:

getunconcsious said:
So you guys have already gotten your letters from Case? I've still heard nothing. :confused:

In today's mail.

Futurama used to be on at 7 or 7:30 on Sundays. The commentary on the DVDs is hilarious so I recommend checking those out (same with the Simpsons). Family guy is good, too. Did you see the episode of American Dad, also a Seth MacFarlane creation? Back to Case though, I would think everyone would hear something soon, there's really not that much time left in the admission season.

ZappBrannigan said:
Futurama used to be on at 7 or 7:30 on Sundays. The commentary on the DVDs is hilarious so I recommend checking those out (same with the Simpsons). Family guy is good, too. Did you see the episode of American Dad, also a Seth MacFarlane creation? Back to Case though, I would think everyone would hear something soon, there's really not that much time left in the admission season.

Yeh I saw AmDad; it was alright. Not like FG, but it had some potential. Yeh Sundays Im always playing hockey, so I always missed it.

Yeh, case said youd hear by the 15th, so everyone should hear soon