Departing from CWRU's "Hold List"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gbiz said:
No way, I am 100% sure they told us they started in July- because they even told us that we need to have about $2000 of our own money, since school starts before we can get our financial aid! Also, thats why their deadline is April 15th instead of May 15th to narrow down to one choice!

Everything by Case is snail mail.
Those accepted to Case have until May 15th to decide actually because it starts in August. On this link you will find that first and second years register and begin classes in mid August http://casemed.case.edu/registrar/calendar.htm. If thats not enough, you can take your letter from the associate dean and all of the "see you in augusts" in the Case class of 09 thread as secondary evidence. ;)
You must be confusing Case with another school.

Members don't see this ad.

Got my waitlist letter today.

did any of you guys also on the hold list for cclcm hear anything yet!?? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the bump to the alternet list today.

Should I send a letter of intent and updated transcripts?
I 4.0'ed the last sem, think it will be worth it?

Thrice said:
I got the bump to the alternet list today.

Should I send a letter of intent and updated transcripts?
I 4.0'ed the last sem, think it will be worth it?
Made the cut for the alternate list as well, what a great feeling :D

Laughs aside, Thrice, if you intend to attend Case if you get in, you should definitely send that stuff in. Since they already have a photo of you on file, I am not sure what else you could do to boost your chances.

medstylee said:
did any of you guys also on the hold list for cclcm hear anything yet!?? :scared:
Next week I anticipating response from them. :luck: :luck: :luck:

So I got put on the alternate list today also. Does anyone know the chances of actually getting an acceptance off of it? I vaguely remember someone saying that hardly anyone ever gets in off of it in some previous thread about the hold list.

gz4444 said:
Until you have lived in Cleveland, you really shouldnt call it miserable and depressing... i've been here for 22 years, and i'm planning on spending another 4 at Case Med... it's actually a TON of fun and i dont think anyone can judge until they've been here for more than one afternoon... Also, the admissions staff members are INCREDIBLE. Dean Horwitz came here from Yale, and if you noticed the 2006 rankings, Case went up 4 places in research and 16 spots in primary care in the one year he has been here... pretty impressive. I can tell you weren't accepted because if you had been accepted and at Second Look weekend, your opinion would be completely different.

Case DOES rock...I LOVED second look! Did we meet, gz4444? (I'm the loud black Dominican...that should be enough to ID me...heheh)

Here is the letter for those who wanted the exact wording:

case_letteredited.jpg

MrTee said:
So I got put on the alternate list today also. Does anyone know the chances of actually getting an acceptance off of it? I vaguely remember someone saying that hardly anyone ever gets in off of it in some previous thread about the hold list.

It varies from year to year. One year nobody came off, the year before 20 did.

anyone get accepted off the hold list? i wonder how large the alternate list is. this feels like a slow death.

j04177117 said:
anyone get accepted off the hold list? i wonder how large the alternate list is. this feels like a slow death.
It does seem like a lot of us got on the alt list, but then again its already been established that the SDN crowd is not representative of the general population of medical applicants.

Add me to the list of individuals who received the alternate letter today. Does anyone know if this is a ranked list? How will acceptances off of the alternate list be made? I'm assuming we won't see any more movement until May 15.

...and the wait continues...

Members don't see this ad :)
PMinty44 said:
Case DOES rock...I LOVED second look! Did we meet, gz4444? (I'm the loud black Dominican...that should be enough to ID me...heheh)

I dont know if we met or not! I'm the talkative, crazy blonde girl who went to Case undergrad... that helped people ID me on the other Case thread, so maybe that will help you. But yeah, second look was awesome:)

Anyone have any idea how large the list is?

20 people? Ive heard case has large movement!

gbiz said:
Anyone have any idea how large the list is?

20 people? Ive heard case has large movement!
This is purely just my theory about this year. Applications were up ~5% overall I believe. Many individual schools however showed applications up 10-15%. Likely reason is that more people applied to more schools this year for some reason. Maybe its wishful thinking, but I am hoping this translates into greater than usual waitlist movement as the higher end applicants start to widdle away their multiple acceptances, which they have more of this year because they applied to more schools. :D

Yz, I hope you're right :) One of my interviewers (not at CWRU) told me that 15% of the applicants hold 80% of the seats before May 15. I don't know if it's true, but doesn't that sound pretty insane?

MrTee said:
Yz, I hope you're right :) One of my interviewers (not at CWRU) told me that 15% of the applicants hold 80% of the seats before May 15. I don't know if it's true, but doesn't that sound pretty insane?

It does sound insane at first, but when its reasoned out it actually makes sense. Around 40-50% of applicants will get in (closer to 40 from numbers I've heard for this year). So, 45%-15% = 30% = those who arn't part of the holding 80% crowd, but will get in. Those 30% are holding the other 20% of seats before May 15th. Not as insane as it originally sounded.

YzIa said:
It does sound insane at first, but when its reasoned out it actually makes sense. Around 40-50% of applicants will get in (closer to 40 from numbers I've heard for this year). So, 45%-15% = 30% = those who arn't part of the holding 80% crowd, but will get in. Those 30% are holding the other 20% of seats before May 15th. Not as insane as it originally sounded.

Well, whatever the statistics are, all those insanely acceptable people holding onto 4,5, or 10 schools should hurry up and drop them so the rest of us that simply want one acceptance can de-stress and be happy.

j04177117 said:
Well, whatever the statistics are, all those insanely acceptable people holding onto 4,5, or 10 schools should hurry up and drop them so the rest of us that simply want one acceptance can de-stress and be happy.
All in good time. You've waited this long, whats another month? :p

YzIa said:
All in good time. You've waited this long, whats another month? :p

i guess my wait is over. got my letter today.

j04177117 said:
i guess my wait is over. got my letter today.

and?

j04177117 said:
it's a no go. won't be able to see king james do his thing.

Oh, Im sorry :(

so does anyone get accepted off the hold list? is it just waitlist and rejections? i give up lol.

j04177117 said:
it's a no go. won't be able to see king james do his thing.

Sorry to hear the bad news. :( Better luck at other schools!

Yeah they rejected me entirely. I have the worst luck in the world. :( :( :(

getunconcsious said:
Yeah they rejected me entirely. I have the worst luck in the world. :( :( :(

Same here. :(

Still waiting! Nothing in the mail today. Anyone else in this same position?

mcjay said:
Still waiting! Nothing in the mail today. Anyone else in this same position?

Yeah, I'm still waiting too -- nothing today. It's more a matter of curiosity than anything else -- if I'm waitlisted, I'm not sitting.

crazyvladif said:
Yeah, I'm still waiting too -- nothing today. It's more a matter of curiosity than anything else -- if I'm waitlisted, I'm not sitting.
Have you decided between Dartmouth and UWisc yet (or are there other choices)?

Don't feel bad about getting rejected from Case. I'm an undergrad there, and I got my rejection letter Saturday. I wasn't planning to go there anyways, loved undergrad, not a fan of the med school (and plus I loved OSU)....

Still waiting to hear! I think I am going crazy. Anyone else still waiting?

mcjay said:
Still waiting to hear! I think I am going crazy. Anyone else still waiting?

I'm still waiting--I can't believe it's taken so long for a letter to get from Ohio to Michigan! The suspense is killing me (not that I suppose it matters, since it's either wait-list or rejection--mabe it's better not to know!?) I had actually called Admissions today to see if they could tell me the final decision over the phone, which they couldn't. Though they were also surprised I hadn't received the letter yet. They told me that if I still hadn't received anything today that I could call back tomorrow--maybe then they'll tell me over the phone?
Ah well I guess I'll just have to wait, and then wait some more. You'd think that I'd be used to this by now...Good luck to all!

So these are only rejeciton or wait list mailings? Are they offering any acceptances during this period?

mcjay said:
So these are only rejeciton or wait list mailings? Are they offering any acceptances during this period?

It doesn't seem like they're accepting at this point. My guess is that they're done accepting for now and are going to go to the wait list as people withdraw their acceptances. Anyone else have alternative hypotheses?

MrTee said:
It doesn't seem like they're accepting at this point. My guess is that they're done accepting for now and are going to go to the wait list as people withdraw their acceptances. Anyone else have alternative hypotheses?
Thats what I figured too, we'll see if anyone gets off after the May 15th rush.

YzIa said:
Have you decided between Dartmouth and UWisc yet (or are there other choices)?

Man, just got the Case rejection letter today. Bummer.

But hey, got another letter today from U of Wisconsin -- They're offering me a 10 g/year scholarship, on top of in state tuition! That makes the total cost difference between Dartmouth and Wisconsin ~100,000. Kinda makes my decision a bit easier ;)

I still haven't received a letter!! Did anyone call Friday?

This is crazy. It probably takes longer for the large acceptance envelope to get here, LOL! :D

Bump.

Still waiting. Anyone?!

mcjay said:
Bump.

Still waiting. Anyone?!

I got my waitlist letter about a week ago, and i'm over in CA. I bet they'll be able to tell you over the phone since it's already like over 10 days after they apparently sent out the letters.
This could be a good sign though... ;-) maybe they did the waitlists/rejects in a batch and are now going through the rest to pick out some acceptances?

anyone here who is accepted to CCLCM and not case? (or vice versa?). do you know if they talk to each other and if they'll be offended if you stay on the waitlist for the other school??? :-\

ardemus said:
I got my waitlist letter about a week ago, and i'm over in CA. I bet they'll be able to tell you over the phone since it's already like over 10 days after they apparently sent out the letters.
This could be a good sign though... ;-) maybe they did the waitlists/rejects in a batch and are now going through the rest to pick out some acceptances?

anyone here who is accepted to CCLCM and not case? (or vice versa?). do you know if they talk to each other and if they'll be offended if you stay on the waitlist for the other school??? :-\
From what I was told and have gathered, they know what the other is doing with an applicant of interest. I don't believe they care, infact I was told that if accepted to one program and waitlisted at the other (one that I liked more) to write a letter of intent to that one.

ardemus said:

I hope that's the Case, pun intended. :laugh:

Realistically, I think it got lost in the mail. My application is attracted to wait lists!

I apologize for so many messages, but I talked with the admissions office today. They said that they still have letters to send out. Is anyone else out there in this position?