Deposits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mainstreeter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with withdrawing from an acceptance after placing a nonrefundable deposit? I put in my deposit around 3 weeks ago for a school that accepted me Dec 1st but heard back recently from my top choice and am planning to withdraw my first acceptance. Is there any precedent for getting a full/partial refund if you let the school know promptly?

I know what I signed up for when I put down my deposit and the money was well spent in giving me a peace of mind while waiting for top choice, but just wanted to get others' opinion on whether I should even ask the admissions office when I withdraw. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have experience with withdrawing from an acceptance after placing a nonrefundable deposit? I put in my deposit around 3 weeks ago for a school that accepted me Dec 1st but heard back recently from my top choice and am planning to withdraw my first acceptance. Is there any precedent for getting a full/partial refund if you let the school know promptly?

I know what I signed up for when I put down my deposit and the money was well spent in giving me a peace of mind while waiting for top choice, but just wanted to get others' opinion on whether I should even ask the admissions office when I withdraw. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Nonrefundable is nonrefundable. You are unlikely to receive a refund for the reason you stated above.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same position.

I noticed while making my second deposit that they offer $100 refund if notified within a specified timeframe. I would think it's in the schools best interest to incentivize early notification of withdrawal. So it may be worth calling and asking if they do a partial refund. I would at least go back and read any documentation associated with the deposit.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When will dental schools switch to the med school deposit system where deposits cost ~$100 and are refundable until May? :/