derma. vs ENT vs. Ophthal

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by grayfish, Feb 13, 2002.

1. grayfish

grayfish Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am going in my third year of medical school and am confused about what residency is best suited for me. I am interested in derm. ENT and Ophthal. I was wondering if anyone has advice on the pros and cons of each. How do these compare as far as lifestyle, salary, and job stability/market?

2. LR6SO4

LR6SO4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good, Good and Good. There's a reason that these are some of the hardest specialties to get. They are good for just the reasons you mentioned, lifestyle, salary and job market.

3. Dermatology, ENT, and ophthamology are VERY DIFFERENT specialties!!!

Do rotations in each if you think you're interested. You will be miserable if you try to make your decision based on hours and pay...

4. navs

navs Member
    10+ Year Member

Can anyone explain what "stats" someone should have to have a good chance of matching into any of the mentioned residencies, derm, radio, ENT, and opthal??

Thanks.

5. nyskindr

nyskindr Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

As far as dermatology which is probably the most competitive of the fields mentioned due to the very small number of openings each year ~260 nationally,you will have to be highly motivated and dedicated to get in.Most matched applicants have STELLAR records as well as research.Political connections..that is getting to know the right people is very important.Doing an audition elective at the program you
    are most interested in will be a big help.Many derm programs give preference to their own med school grads...so thats a good place to start.

6. edmadison

edmadison 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Decide soon too because you would have to worry about the "early match"

Ed

7. grayfish

grayfish Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

When do I have to get everything ready for "early match"? I also heard that the job market for ophthal is not very good right now and it is over crowded. I was just wondering what are the opinions/insights on the job market issue.

8. LR6SO4

LR6SO4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I can only comment on ophtho from my small section of the world in the midwest, and it is good if you don't want to live in the cities. From the docs that I've talked to if you are willing to go more rural you can make GREAT money provided you have the patient base and there are still many areas that need docs. As far as the downside some have told me that many ophthos tend to practice for a relatively long time and can be pretty territorial. If they have a well established practice then they won't take you on until someone retires. I wouldn't really base a decision too much on job market because it changes so quickly and you never know what it will be when it matters. In any scenario though worst case is you end up somewhere you're not thrilled about living in until something opens up where you want to be, so it's never THAT bad. All of the speculation about CRNA's taking over anes, teleradiology making the market shrink, and PA's and NP's may be real threats but they may never pan out to be anything too. I wouldn't worry too much.

9. TheThroat

TheThroat SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Lifestyle and pay should not be a deciding factor between these specialties, since they are all fairly similar, with the exception of residency, where the lifestyle is better in derm and ophtho then oto. The first deciding factor regards surgery. Do you want to be a surgeon/do you like the OR? Then you will be happier doing ophtho/oto, vs. derm. All three deal with a variety of patients, old and young, with minor complaints and with with severe illnesses. All have pretty busy clinics. It really all depends on the type of pathology you wish to be dealing with.
    Also, re: the early match. I would send my app. off to sfmatch by mid to late August.