Dermatopathology Fellowship Applications 2024-2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiletteRaul

Reaction score
Please share any information you have regarding dermpath fellowship applications/interviews for positions starting in 2024

Here's what I've heard so far:

Cedars-Sinai - filled
Stanford - filled
Arkansas - filled
USF - filled
Moffitt/USF - filled
U Texas HSC Anderson - filled

Colorado - not participating
National Capital Consortium - not participating

Members don't see this ad.

Please share any information you have regarding dermpath fellowship applications/interviews for positions starting in 2024

Here's what I've heard so far:

Cedars-Sinai - filled
Stanford - filled
Arkansas - filled
USF - filled
Moffitt/USF - filled
U Texas HSC Anderson - filled

Colorado - not participating
National Capital Consortium - not participating
Thanks for the info and I also concur with your list. Here are two more programs

BIDM - filled
Thomas Jefferson - not participating

Reactions: 1 user
Mayo seems to be interviewing (or preparing to at least), possibly filled (I did not receive an invitation to interview)

Members don't see this ad :)
does derm path still fill outside of the match? Or is it a normal match Process like with mohs? Or do mohs programs still fill outside the match?

does derm path still fill outside of the match? Or is it a normal match Process like with mohs? Or do mohs programs still fill outside the match?
Dermpath is still outside the match vs Mohs which goes through the SF match.

Dermpath does now have a standardized timeline recommended by the ASDP which tells programs to accept applications between July to September. However, half at best programs abide by this.

Legitimately had a dream I was playing Squid Games for a fellowship spot. Anyone else feel completely in the dark at this point?

Legitimately had a dream I was playing Squid Games for a fellowship spot. Anyone else feel completely in the dark at this point?
dumb q what is a SOX10 used for - is this something that would be fair game for derm interviews or more resident level knowledge

Last edited:
dumb q what is a SOX10 used for - is this something that would be fair game for derm interviews or more resident level knowledge
It's usually used as a melanocyte marker but also stains other cells of neurocrest origin. I don't think anyone would ask you a question about it on an interview.

Last edited:
It's usually used as a melanocyte marker but also stains other cells of neurocrest origin. I don't think anyone would ask you a question about it on an interview.
I remember dirty socks can be nuclear to remember that its a nuclear stain for melanocytes and schwann cells

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats everyones plans as far as " if i dont hear back from programs by X date, I need to start looking at other fellowships"?

I remember dirty socks can be nuclear to remember that its a nuclear stain for melanocytes and schwann cells
As an aside, a lot of things that end with 'x' are some type of transcription factor (of the type that contain a homeodomain). Those are nuclear since the protein is there to control transcription.

SOX (SRY homeobox)
PAX (Paired box)
MSX (MSH homeobox)
etc.

Anyway, best of luck on the interview trail folks. It's frustrating to navigate around the programs that interview every other year or fill entirely from within for sure.

Derm residents have a reputation of being crème de la crème just because they already got into derm. Why would any derm resident feel nervous about his/her chances off getting a dermpath spot? You would probably make just as much if not more money doing general derm. Am I wrong on the last point?

Mayo seems to be interviewing (or preparing to at least), possibly filled (I did not receive an invitation to interview)
MUSC also seems to be interviewing or preparing to, possibly filled (I did not receive an invitation to interview)

Derm residents have a reputation of being crème de la crème just because they already got into derm. Why would any derm resident feel nervous about his/her chances off getting a dermpath spot? You would probably make just as much if not more money doing general derm. Am I wrong on the last point?
There is no cut and dry answer to this question, as there are infinite types of practice set ups

High volume dermpath makes more than gen Derm however, in general.

Has it been mostly silent for people/applicants?

So far Duke, MUSC, University of Rochester, and University of Florida are sending that I know of.

So far Duke, MUSC, University of Rochester, and University of Florida are sending that I know of.
Thanks for the information, are you the one getting these interviews? Thanks!

Out of curiosity, are you folks derm or path trained? It seems to me that this may be a tough year for dermpath.
Derm trained. Was told I had a strong application but year to year random events and luck come into play such as having internal candidates already lined up for the position

Derm trained. Was told I had a strong application but year to year random events and luck come into play such as having internal candidates already lined up for the position
Are you applying this year? Have you heard anything?

I would guesstimate that roughly half of programs have not sent out invites yet so there is sill hope!
I hope you are right! In addition, Loyola, Pitt, Penn state, and St louis have also sent out their invitations!

Are any others programs sending invites?
I'm unsure, up to this point i've received 5 and these are the programs I haven't heard from yet (outside of the ones mentioned as having sent invites)
ProPath Dermatopathology
Cleveland Clinic
Boston University School of Medicine
Brown University
Harvard-MGB
Oregon Health & Science University
University of Vermont College of Medicine
University of Chicago
Emory University School of Medicine
University of Alabama at Birmingham

I'm unsure, up to this point i've received 5 and these are the programs I haven't heard from yet (outside of the ones mentioned as having sent invites)
Thank you so much...this process is eating me alive!

Thank you so much...this process is eating me alive!
I've also done a lot of thinking/analyzing. I'm sure you've already seen it

Characterization of dermatopathology fellowship applicants: a 5-year single institution experience - PubMed

but based on Jerad Gardners paper, about 6% of dermatologists and pathologists combined apply to dermpath ( I pulled from total number of dermatology and pathology positions offered from NRMP data for the year 2009 [the highest number of applicants in his paper was for the year 2011, and theoretically people would be applying 2 years out). Based on that number and the number of dermatologists and pathologists for the year most of us graduated applying this cycle (2020) there should be around 68-69 applicants. According to the ACGME there are 73 dermpath spots in the country.

In the year 2011 this number was 87, and applicants for his program 2011 was 53. This could be a couple of different things 1) There were more spots than total applicants 2) There was a subset of people not interested in going to Arkansas 3) The difference in spots vs applicants is due to people gaining a spot internally in a program and not needing to send an application out.

If you were to operate under assumption 3, then you can count on approximately 39% of total dermpath spots being filled by internal candidates (candidates not counted in the application pool). So realistically of the 73 dermpath spots in the country 44 are up for grabs by the 69 applicants. So if you are in the top 64% of applicants you should be able to land a spot somewhere (assuming you've applied to every program).

My issue is , it seems like places with 1 spot seem to invite 5 (most likely top 7%) people to interview and places with 2 spots seem to invite 10 (top 14%) people to interview. With October 3rd being the earliest a good chunk of people of are offering positions, I feel like there is going to be a ton of overlap in who programs are going to want. I don't think it's an unlikely event that places with 1 spot might have to send out a second batch of interviews if that top 7% accepts a position somewhere else.

Does anyone know if upenn, hopkins, cleveland clinic, propath, emory have sent out their invites?

This is just to the best of my knowledge.

Programs I have heard from or know others have heard from as of today (or current status):
1. Baylor (filled)
2. Beth Israel (filled)
3. Brown (invites sent and/or interviews)
4. Cedars Sinai (filled)
5. Dartmouth (invites sent and/or interviews)
6. Duke (filled)
7. Geisinger (invites, finished second round interviews)
8. Indiana (invites sent and/or interviews)
9. Loyola (invites sent and/or interviews)
10. Mayo Clinic (Filled)
11. Montefiore (rejection sent...so possibly invites sent???)
12. MUSC (invites sent and/or interviews)
13. Northwestern McGaw (invites sent and/or interviews)
14. Ohio State (invites sent and/or interviews)
15. OHSU (invites sent and/or interviews)
16 Penn State (invites sent and/or interviews)
17. Thomas Jefferson (not accepting)
18. Saint louis (invites sent and/or interviews)
19. Stanford (filled)
20. UCLA (I was sent rejection...possibly sending interviews but not sure...)
21. UMASS (filled)
22. Univ of arkansas (filled)
23. Univ of colorado (program inactive)
24. Univ of florida (invites sent and/or interviews)
25 Univ of Pittsburgh (invites sent and/or interviews)
26. Univ of Rochester (invites sent and/or interviews)
27. Univ of South Florida (Filled)
28. Univ of texas MD Anderson (invites sent and/or interviews)
29. UTMB (invites sent and/or interviews)
30. Univ of Washington (invites sent and/or interviews)
31. Yale (Filled)

Programs that I have not heard from and who others have not heard from (please update as you hear..or correct me if I'm not accurate!). Those who participate in the ASDP timeline have an asterik * and I would expect they would send out invites next week if they are to meet the timeline (hopefully).
1. Boston University*
2. Harvard Brigham and womens (Harvard MGB)*
3. Cleveland Clinic*
4. Emory
5. Icahn
6. Johns Hopkins*
7. Memorial sloan kettering
8. NYU Langone
9. ProPath*
10. SUNY Downstate
11. Tulane
12. UAB
13. UCSF
14. Univ of Chicago*
15. Univ of Miami
16. Univ of Michigan
17. Univ of Pennsylvania*
18. Univ of Vermont*
19. Univ of Virginia
20. Wake Forest

This is just to the best of my knowledge.

Programs I have heard from or know others have heard from as of today (or current status):
1. Baylor (filled)
2. Beth Israel (filled)
3. Brown (invites sent and/or interviews)
4. Cedars Sinai (filled)
5. Dartmouth (invites sent and/or interviews)
6. Duke (filled)
7. Geisinger (invites, finished second round interviews)
8. Indiana (invites sent and/or interviews)
9. Loyola (invites sent and/or interviews)
10. Mayo Clinic (Filled)
11. Montefiore (rejection sent...so possibly invites sent???)
12. MUSC (invites sent and/or interviews)
13. Northwestern McGaw (invites sent and/or interviews)
14. Ohio State (invites sent and/or interviews)
15. OHSU (invites sent and/or interviews)
16 Penn State (invites sent and/or interviews)
17. Thomas Jefferson (not accepting)
18. Saint louis (invites sent and/or interviews)
19. Stanford (filled)
20. UCLA (I was sent rejection...possibly sending interviews but not sure...)
21. UMASS (filled)
22. Univ of arkansas (filled)
23. Univ of colorado (program inactive)
24. Univ of florida (invites sent and/or interviews)
25 Univ of Pittsburgh (invites sent and/or interviews)
26. Univ of Rochester (invites sent and/or interviews)
27. Univ of South Florida (Filled)
28. Univ of texas MD Anderson (invites sent and/or interviews)
29. UTMB (invites sent and/or interviews)
30. Univ of Washington (invites sent and/or interviews)
31. Yale (Filled)

Programs that I have not heard from and who others have not heard from (please update as you hear..or correct me if I'm not accurate!). Those who participate in the ASDP timeline have an asterik * and I would expect they would send out invites next week if they are to meet the timeline (hopefully).
1. Boston University*
2. Harvard Brigham and womens (Harvard MGB)*
3. Cleveland Clinic*
4. Emory
5. Icahn
6. Johns Hopkins*
7. Memorial sloan kettering
8. NYU Langone
9. ProPath*
10. SUNY Downstate
11. Tulane
12. UAB
13. UCSF
14. Univ of Chicago*
15. Univ of Miami
16. Univ of Michigan
17. Univ of Pennsylvania*
18. Univ of Vermont*
19. Univ of Virginia
20. Wake Forest
Doing the lords work. Thank you for this

• Haha
Could it be that the programs who participate in the ASDP timeline and haven't sent interviews, already have someone in mind for their spot?

Certainly possible. While there are some programs that I'm sure drag their feet during the process, even with the ASDP timeline in place, it almost behooves programs who don't follow that timeline to interview early instead of later since a rolling non-match process in general favors the program, not the applicants.

While it doesn't take long to set up an online/remote interview, it's getting a bit late in the game for the October 3rd time frame.