Dermatopathology Fellowship Applications 2024-2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could it be that the programs who participate in the ASDP timeline and haven't sent interviews, already have someone in mind for their spot?
That could definitely be a possibility. That said, I’ve had a couple interviews in which the agenda for the interview wasn’t sent out until the day before….so it is possible some might send an interview invite soon. But who really knows (definitely not me.)

Members don't see this ad.

Also folks, if you don't get a spot this year, don't beat yourself up over it. This seems to be a tough year. I don't know how many people applied, but a lot of the ones that did have really good apps.

If most of the same people got most of the interviews, there is the possibility that some action could happen after October 3rd if programs don't fill.

Boston university sent out invites. I also heard Wake forest sent out invites.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know all it takes is one, but how many interview invites will make you feel confident you will be offered a position?

I know all it takes is one, but how many interview invites will make you feel confident you will be offered a position?
I have been conditioned not to feel confident about anything. The medical field has beat all confidence and assuredness out of me haha

Reactions: 1 user
Wake Forest did send out an invite. UVA sent out a rejection (to me)

This is just to the best of my knowledge.

Programs I have heard from or know others have heard from as of today (or current status):
1. Baylor (filled)
2. Beth Israel (filled)
3. Brown (invites sent and/or interviews)
4. Cedars Sinai (filled)
5. Dartmouth (invites sent and/or interviews)
6. Duke (filled)
7. Geisinger (invites, finished second round interviews)
8. Indiana (invites sent and/or interviews)
9. Loyola (invites sent and/or interviews)
10. Mayo Clinic (Filled)
11. Montefiore (rejection sent...so possibly invites sent???)
12. MUSC (invites sent and/or interviews)
13. Northwestern McGaw (invites sent and/or interviews)
14. Ohio State (invites sent and/or interviews)
15. OHSU (invites sent and/or interviews)
16 Penn State (invites sent and/or interviews)
17. Thomas Jefferson (not accepting)
18. Saint louis (invites sent and/or interviews)
19. Stanford (filled)
20. UCLA (I was sent rejection...possibly sending interviews but not sure...)
21. UMASS (filled)
22. Univ of arkansas (filled)
23. Univ of colorado (program inactive)
24. Univ of florida (invites sent and/or interviews)
25 Univ of Pittsburgh (invites sent and/or interviews)
26. Univ of Rochester (invites sent and/or interviews)
27. Univ of South Florida (Filled)
28. Univ of texas MD Anderson (invites sent and/or interviews)
29. UTMB (invites sent and/or interviews)
30. Univ of Washington (invites sent and/or interviews)
31. Yale (Filled)

Programs that I have not heard from and who others have not heard from (please update as you hear..or correct me if I'm not accurate!). Those who participate in the ASDP timeline have an asterik * and I would expect they would send out invites next week if they are to meet the timeline (hopefully).
1. Boston University*
2. Harvard Brigham and womens (Harvard MGB)*
3. Cleveland Clinic*
4. Emory
5. Icahn
6. Johns Hopkins*
7. Memorial sloan kettering
8. NYU Langone
9. ProPath*
10. SUNY Downstate
11. Tulane
12. UAB
13. UCSF
14. Univ of Chicago*
15. Univ of Miami
16. Univ of Michigan
17. Univ of Pennsylvania*
18. Univ of Vermont*
19. Univ of Virginia
20. Wake Forest
Univ of Pennsylvania has sent out interviews, at least one of their spots has been filled.

I have been conditioned not to feel confident about anything. The medical field has beat all confidence and assuredness out of me haha
If any of you don't get a dermpath spot this cycle, PM me.

UCSF sent me a rejection email. Just so ya’ll know (as I assume interviews were sent and or filled)

Dermatopathology fellowship applicants waiting for next week.
7886400E-F946-45E2-89BB-72A57DDAA45D.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
Got Harvard and Cleveland Clinic invites last week but had to cancel as I accepted a position somewhere else. Final stats: 32 programs applied to, 9 interview invites, 5 completed interviews, 2 post interview rejections, 2 waiting for October 3, 1 offer.

Good luck to everyone still waiting. Incredibly tough year.

If you already accepted a position, can you decline the position if another program offers you a position later on?

Got Harvard and Cleveland Clinic invites last week but had to cancel as I accepted a position somewhere else. Final stats: 32 programs applied to, 9 interview invites, 5 completed interviews, 2 post interview rejections, 2 waiting for October 3, 1 offer.

If you do not mind DM ing me where you accepted the position, that would be great!

My stats: 40 programs applied to, 5 interview invites, 5 completed interviews, 1 offer. Good luck to everyone and future colleagues in DP!

If you already accepted a position, can you decline the position if another program offers you a position later on?
I know someone already said “no”…but that’s not correct if you’ve only signed an offer letter. Offer letters are not contracts and not legally binding. People drop fellowship spots all the time….

My stats,: 21 programs applied to, 5 interview invites, 4 interviews completed, 1 offer prior to Oct 3rd

Hi everyone, any updates on which programs got filled?

U Wash - filled
SLU - filled

Any others?

PSA: maybe this applies to no one and I’m talking into the void….but, if you have 2 or more offers currently, and are still waiting on potential other offer(s) that could trickle in from your preferred program in the next day or two, it would be good form I think to reject the less preferred of the ones you have now. You can still wait to accept until another potential offer comes about, but perhaps your less preferred option is someone else’s opportunity and would save a lot of anxiety for them :)

I had 4 interviews, 1 rejection and the other 3 are silent :(

PSA: maybe this applies to no one and I’m talking into the void….but, if you have 2 or more offers currently, and are still waiting on potential other offer(s) that could trickle in from your preferred program in the next day or two, it would be good form I think to reject the less preferred of the ones you have now. You can still wait to accept until another potential offer comes about, but perhaps your less preferred option is someone else’s opportunity and would save a lot of anxiety for them :)
100% agree. I had multiple offers, already declined all the way down to just one left. Still waiting on one program

I have had 10 interviews, >3 offers, declined all the way down to one, and waiting on just one more. Also declined the two interviews scheduled next week because I know I wont rank them higher (and I will not hedge if whether they would offer me spots while declining this spot I really love).

I myself would be anxious to hear, I do not wish that on anyone. I made moves above very quickly because I want to save some of my future colleagues.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much, that is so thoughtful and considerate...

I have had 10 interviews, >3 offers, declined all the way down to one, and waiting on just one more. Also declined the two interviews scheduled next week because I know I wont rank them higher (and I will not hedge if whether they would offer me spots while declining this spot I really love).

I myself would be anxious to hear, I do not wish that on anyone. I made moves above very quickly because I want to save some of my future colleagues.
That's very impressive. What were the strong parts of your application? Good recs? Pubs?

Ohio state just sent email saying they are filled

I admit that I am holding onto an offer because someone else is deciding on my preferred program. As people have already mentioned, really hoping we can make decisions asap so turnover can occur

I m only waiting to hear back from one more program before I can officially forget about dermpath all together :(

I’m also holding on to my one offer I got (just one offer being held total). Waiting to see if anything shakes up today, possibly part of the day tomorrow. It may not

Loyola has likely filled (got a “thank you, but no thank you” email).

Really appreciate all your updates. Just curious, how are you so well informed?
There were a good number at my program (derm and path trained residency applicants) applying this year. So, including myself, I know they got some spots. Then we talk amongst ourselves and get emails from programs (some we interviewed at and others we just applied to) saying they have filled their spots.

Did you all signed a contract or was it just a formal email acceptance?

Does anybody have any quantifying data on how competitive it was this year?

Got a rejection from johns hopkins. Their email said unprecedented, but they probably say that for every year. Who knows, but I am curious too.

Boston University sent me a rejection (so probably filled). Cleveland Clinic reached out yesterday asking if I’d like to interview and OHSU called and asked if I accepted from another program (which I did). Soooo, seems those two programs are open still. Don’t know how many of Cleveland Clinics spots are filled though.

Does anybody have any quantifying data on how competitive it was this year?
I feel the prior post describing Jerad Gardner’s paper with stats is likely accurate. Geisinger had about 67 applicants total (the PD told me this during first round interview), so it’s probably similar at other programs.