DESPARATE!! for a ltr of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docsaintrita71

NYCOM Class 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:luck: :luck: Hello everyone/anyone:

I am in a bit of a pickle. :scared: I will be the first doctor, let alone DO, to graduate in my family. I have submitted ltrs of recommendation with one more underway -- the one from a doctor but its a MD not a DO. I just completed my interview with NYCOM today and it was suggested that it might strengthen my profile if I have a personal letter of rec from a DO sent. Unfortunately, I do not know of any!! :smuggrin: HELP!! I jumped online with American Osteopathic Association and found a few doctors in my area and in the field of study I am most interested in -- family practice. How do I ask or convince someone whom does not know me, except, perhaps for the briefest few moments when I introduce myslef, to write a personal letter of reference for me right away?? Please, HELP!!! :scared:

Thanks,
Cece:luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Send them your resume, a copy of your personal statement and a brief letter of intent stating that you would be willing to spend some time with them before they write you a letter....I faxed 30 D.Os in my area, I heard back from 3 and got a letter from him so good luck!

Send them your resume, a copy of your personal statement and a brief letter of intent stating that you would be willing to spend some time with them before they write you a letter....I faxed 30 D.Os in my area, I heard back from 3 and got a letter from him so good luck!

Yeah, I agree with this approach. These LORs are really helpful for people who have a good relationship with docs and teachers who can elaborate and write stellar stuff, but a pain in the arse for folks without.

The good news is, I think this approach happens a lot. About the best you can do is track one down (phone book, license search, AOA directory) and schedule a quick meeting and ask for a LOR based on resume, statement, or shadowing.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found a DO just as you did, then I gave him a call. Initailly I just spoke with his office manager and told her of my situation. She said she would talk with the DO. I also asked if it was okay to fax my personal statement and a short letter to the DO (which asked him if I could shadow him for the evaluation) -she said that she would give it to him.

He called me later that day and we set up a day to shadow. I asked him a lot of questions about how Osteopathy was used in his practice, his experience as a student, etc. At the end of the day I gave him a black folder with my personal statement, a copy of my transcript, and the forms for the DO eval. I also included self addressed stamped envelopes ready to go and a fax number to each school, just in case he wanted to fax it. About a week later, I took cookies over to his office as a thank you and double checked with his office manager that the letters did indeed get sent. It was quite a bit of work for a few days, but it was worth it! I was accepted at both schools that needed the letter. :)

I am writing to thank each of you for responding so very quickly to my "plea" for help. :D :D I am putting together a letter of intent to each of the ten physicians I located on AOA tonight. I will ask for help but I'm just concerned about wording it properly. BEFORE I send the ltr, I will call the number indicated for each one but, again, wording is so very important. Any ideas?? I agree with your ideas about shadowing for a day. I guess you cannot get something like this without at least offering to spend a little time with them. AND I will be able to ask questions from a DO who's been practicing in the field. :luck:

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate it. Its truly a blessing to have SDN as a tool to reach out and get ideas that have worked from other students who are going through the same thing. Its really is great. ;) Hope to hear from you guys again.:D :luck:

Cece

Is NYCOM the only schooled you interviewed at? I know many schools don't REQUIRE letters from DO's -- though many will "suggest it". I think several of my classmates only had letters from MDs.

I shadowed for a week, the D.O. was someone I saw myself for treatment. He was an I.M. doctor and had his own clinic as well as working in the hospital. Both places were good to get experience.

Is NYCOM the only schooled you interviewed at? I know many schools don't REQUIRE letters from DO's -- though many will "suggest it". I think several of my classmates only had letters from MDs.

Yes, its the school with which I have most recently interviewed. NYCOM said they don't REQUIRE a DO letter but I really want to go there and feel I need to submit a DO ltr to do so. The person who interviewed me mentioned its importance during the interview.:D

Thanks,
Cece

I shadowed for a week, the D.O. was someone I saw myself for treatment. He was an I.M. doctor and had his own clinic as well as working in the hospital. Both places were good to get experience.

Hello Comm. Riker (love that show!!):

I plan on doing the same type of shadowing experience -- but in family medicine, which is my interest. I also wish to gain some experience in Diagnostic Radiology and have also contacted one DO in this field. Its an emerging specialty with more of a set schedule so, I'd like to know more about it. I feel, if I can get a bird's eye view of what is available in terms of specialty, perhaps selecting one during my clerkship years will be a little easier. Thanks for replying to my "desparate" thread and offering me your suggestion. I appreciate it. ;) :D

Yeah, I agree with this approach. These LORs are really helpful for people who have a good relationship with docs and teachers who can elaborate and write stellar stuff, but a pain in the arse for folks without.

The good news is, I think this approach happens a lot. About the best you can do is track one down (phone book, license search, AOA directory) and schedule a quick meeting and ask for a LOR based on resume, statement, or shadowing.

Good luck.

Thanks, I will follow this technique. And, I appreciate the encouragement!!:D :D

Cece:luck:

Hello Comm. Riker (love that show!!):

I plan on doing the same type of shadowing experience -- but in family medicine, which is my interest. I also wish to gain some experience in Diagnostic Radiology and have also contacted one DO in this field. Its an emerging specialty with more of a set schedule so, I'd like to know more about it. I feel, if I can get a bird's eye view of what is available in terms of specialty, perhaps selecting one during my clerkship years will be a little easier. Thanks for replying to my "desparate" thread and offering me your suggestion. I appreciate it. ;) :D

No problem!