desperate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miracle4eva

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just back my score and yea they are beyond horrible 24O: 7bs, 9ps, 8vr:oops:. I plan on retaking but the sept slots are filled. Do i even have a shot.
URM, ChE 3.87 GPA, 2yrs research and some volunteering

Members don't see this ad.

well your gpa is amazing, so all you really need to do is pull up that mcat, obviously. I mean, you don't necessarily have to shoot for a 38 or something, which would be great, but even a 5-6 point increase to get you around a 30 would do the trick. I don't know if you used a practice course or not, but it might be beneficial for you to use a princeton review course or something. Use some examkrackers books, do a review, and study study study. You do that, and you should pull it up definitely to around a 30 or so.

i just back my score and yea they are beyond horrible 24O: 7bs, 9ps, 8vr:oops:. I plan on retaking but the sept slots are filled. Do i even have a shot.
URM, ChE 3.87 GPA, 2yrs research and some volunteering

Unfortunately, that 24 is gonna be really rough on your app. If it was me, I would spend a good deal of time studying for the MCAT again and re-take it as soon as you can. That is probably your best shot. Your PS is not bad, and your BS can be brought up at least a couple points realistically with some study. If you can pull at least a 27 or 28 you will be in range for some schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, that 24 is gonna be really rough on your app. If it was me, I would spend a good deal of time studying for the MCAT again and re-take it as soon as you can. That is probably your best shot. Your PS is not bad, and your BS can be brought up at least a couple points realistically with some study. If you can pull at least a 27 or 28 you will be in range for some schools.

i agree with haemulon totally. i would focus solely on MCAT. what helped me the most was taking practice tests (not that i dominated the MCAT, but still helped me), as many as i could get my hands on, and then going back and seeing which sections i did poorly on and study those. practice makes perfect. good luck.

Well, I did an mdapps search for people with between a 3.8/3.9 GPA, and between 23/25 MCAT score, with URM status. No one has ever reported an acceptance with these stats on mdapps. When I unchecked the mdapps box, though, there were about 10-15 acceptances. So, if non-URMs got in with these stats, I think you could get in. Firstly, you had a notorious major, and you have the URM thing going for you. However, I'd retake, because you'd probably at best only get one acceptance.

Definitely retake the MCAT and do better this time. Take tons of practice tests and once you consistently score above a 30 retake the test for real.

It sounds like you have a strong application...just make sure you don't lose yourself in this MCAT thing. It's important to still have a life while studying for the test otherwise you'll go insane.

thanks u all :thumbup:. towards the middle/end of my practice i was consistently getting 11 on ps and at least 9 on bs using aamc so i guess my nerves got the best of me during the exam. 24 was actually my 1st full lenght score. So i know i can do better. I am just worried about not being able to apply this cycle if i am not able to retake in sept. and if i apply with my present score my chances look slim

I definitely think you should retake but if you are set on getting applications in early maybe apply to Howard, Meharry, Morehouse because their average is around a 24 and your GPA is good.