Diary: ExamKracker MCAT studying begins... Who is with me? Version 6 for May

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christian15213

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!!

Just wanted to invite anyone who owns the examkrackers examination books version 6 and is starting to study for the mcats this upcomming April / May. I can only afford to take this test one time because the application and entire process begins for me this summer.

I have started first with the Biology section and have a couple comments and things about the book that I like so far and some complaints so far. I have only done lecture one.

As well, I have audio osmosis and one of the things I really like is that is follows the book quite nicely. Please respond asap and we can work on things and go through things together.

Members don't see this ad.

Guys I need some help, before I shell out my ducat$ at Amazon.

What exactly is in the "Examkrackers Complete Study Package?"

Do the "Examkrackers 1001 Questions in (subject)" and "101 passages" seperate?

no the 1001 and verbal 101 are separate books.
WHat you get in the package is verba, bio, chem, orgo and phys books. They have excercizes in them and 30-minute lecture exams. You also get a FL 1g with the package (paper based if you getting the 6th edition).
But i sugest to shell your ducat$ for all of them and for Audio Osmosis.
AO is amazing to get the concepts really hammered into your brain after you read the lecture, especially if you have a lot of driving. Saves a lot of time too because while you are stuck in trafic you are learning MCAT material. It makes being stuck in trafic actually very rewarding :laugh:
But look on ebay. They always have the whole bundules for sale and it's much better deal if you want to buy all of the EK stuff.
:luck:

way to start kicia glad you can join us in this thread. I will finish my last bio (Lecture 9) 30 min test tonight :smuggrin: Good luck:laugh:

:laugh: i was so happy, because it went so smoothly and i needed only one day to do a full lecture. I am also almost done with lecture 1 in gen chem book.
My friend is laughing that i am on fire or something, because on top of the MCAT i am taking 23 credit hrs and so far the lowest grade i got was 99.5% on my art history quiz LOL. I think everything is doable if you really organize yourself and keep with the schedule.
I use google callendar and have every day of the week commited to something. For instance saturday is my orgoII and gen chemII day (i am taking both, gen chem is a retake:oops: ). And i always try to squeeze the MCAT wherever possible.
I have no idea how i find time to go to the gym 5 days a week...(but then i read my art history readings while doing 45 min cardio on the elipcical:laugh: ).
It works so far. We will see how it will continue to work.
I think by june i will be so drained from all this but i hope i will be very satisfied:D
:luck: and i will update you on gen chem lecture 1 exam.
I may also take the FL diag today if i get all done with my orgo review for the exam on thursday:scared: .

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, they come seperately.

I swear I thought you were already in med school :laugh:

Well, I've completed my first round of EK (for those of you that don't know, I ran through all the lectures in the EK books, mostly to see where I was weaker at). I took a CBT test at MCAT-prep, and scored a 27, but when I went back and looked at the answers, it didn't register the answer to one of my questions (not sure why... I remember clicking the answer) and I put the correct answer for two questions, but it marked them wrong. Since two of those questions were on Verbal, I think my score was lightly higher than that. I know I definitely need to work on PS, and I'll be starting up my modified 14 week program this week (it's the 10 week program stretched out a little and changed slightly to allow for more review at the very end). Here's hoping I improve some over the next few weeks, and that all this is a good investment.

Anastasis

:D I WANT YOUR AVITAR:D

I love it:love: When I was in grad school I spent every day studying at starbucks. It was that or my dormroom... Anyway if I was in the states now I would be going to one to study, lol.

Where did you find it?

:love:

Here's a question for you guys:

I've been through the material once and would like to get going on my 1001/101/mini-mcats/QBank and practice FLs - I have 3 months until the MCAT - should I just dive into practice problems or should I also keep reviewing the material.

Or, should I dive into practice problems, keep track of where my weaknesses are, and review only the areas of weakness as I go?

I want to be as efficient as possible! :)

Thanks guys!

I've been through the material once and would like to get going on my 1001/101/mini-mcats/QBank and practice FLs - I have 3 months until the MCAT - should I just dive into practice problems or should I also keep reviewing the material.

Or, should I dive into practice problems, keep track of where my weaknesses are, and review only the areas of weakness as I go?

Thanks guys!

megboo everyone is different with their study regimen but since MCAT is mostly testing you abbility to think in a critical way i'd dive into the FL and practice problems.
They will give you idea of what you need to review or where you weak areas are.
:luck: :luck: :luck:

Anastasis

:D I WANT YOUR AVITAR:D

I love it:love: When I was in grad school I spent every day studying at starbucks. It was that or my dormroom... Anyway if I was in the states now I would be going to one to study, lol.

Where did you find it?

:love:
KentW, an admin, photoshopped it and posted it in the EM forum and then Arsenic reposted it here so I ripped it off :laugh:

Wish I could take credit for being that creative.

And right now I'm working for the sole reason of supporting my coffee habit. how sad is that? ;)

Thanks guys!
Honestly, have you taken all the30 minute tests in EK? I'd go back and do more practice problems in any particular chapter where you had difficulty. Do maybe 20 practice problems? After you do that start with FL and then do practice problems in any subject that comes up in which you have difficulty. That's what I did.

Honestly, have you taken all the30 minute tests in EK? I'd go back and do more practice problems in any particular chapter where you had difficulty. Do maybe 20 practice problems? After you do that start with FL and then do practice problems in any subject that comes up in which you have difficulty. That's what I did.

No - I just started working on the 1001 Chem book. I took AAMC 3R (27) and with your and Kicia's advice solidifying what I thought anyway, I figured I'd work through practice problems during the week and FLs on the weekend. Any problem areas I can just review.

ok... next update.
I am done with gen chem lecture 1. I was a b*tch:mad: . I took it long time ago and was really dusty in that whole material. I did 112 first problems in the 1001 book (some of them are so tricky...did anyone looked at these? Maybe i am just ******ed couse out of 112 i did i got 23 wrong:( ).
Anyways i took the 30-minute in class exam (i thought it was really tricky) for lacture 1 and got a 9. So not as bad as i thought after doing all these 1001 problems.
Most of the questions i got wrong, not because i didn't understand the material, but because i didn't read the question right.:rolleyes:
So i can see once again. I need to FOCUS while taking practice exams and READ the questions and make sure i understand them.
Anyone is having a similiar problem?
Any advice?
tx

Members don't see this ad :)
No - I just started working on the 1001 Chem book. I took AAMC 3R (27) and with your and Kicia's advice solidifying what I thought anyway, I figured I'd work through practice problems during the week and FLs on the weekend. Any problem areas I can just review.

i think you have a good plan going here. Practice is the most important for the MCAT. But i hear you on the time issue. I am not able to take FL on the weekdays either (i am taking 6 classes), but next weekend i really want to take a diag and then every 2 weeks i hope i iwill be able to get a FL done.
I study a little bit differently because i read the lecture, highlight what i need to know, write a little note on the margin of thigs that i have trouble remebering. Then i listen to AO coresponding lecture twice(i comute about an 1hr each way to school so it works very nice LOL).
Then i do 1001 stuff and then i take the 30-minute exam.
But on the other side i am affraid i will run out of problems (since i did 112problems today i potencially could do them all in the next 10 days LOL).
I think i will reduce it so i have more practice for when it's closer to the MCAT.
I am just so paranoid about having enough of time and just doing good enough so i don't have to take it ever again.

Megboo, i think it would be good for you to kinda through yourself into a deep water and take 10R next to see how you will score and what your weak areas are.
Good luck.

Update:
I finished all of Bio and have been doing the 1001q's with mixed results. I about six passages 50-60 q's at a time. My problem is I am only getting about 8's, granted that is an improvement but I need to do better. I really need to review genetics, na/k pump, hormones, and the nitty gritty stuff such as transduction, translation, etc. How are you guys finding the bio passages, are they true to life on the real mcat?

VR- I took test 4 and did just as well as test 3. Another 11 :D I am really excited about that. I am only doing six passages 40 q's at a time to make it more cbt like but I am doing well with it so who knows.

Chem- I am getting there. I meet with a national girl twice a week and she attempts to explain the stuff I don't understand to me. So far it seems to be slowly sinking in. I gave up on the exams at the back of the book and lec. exams until I can learn it better. I am doing the 1001q's to review the info.

Physics- I am ready to throw in the towel. I just don't get it and don't really care for it. I wonder if I can do well enough on chem if this will really matter. I will be restarting it in March most likely.

OChem-start today, here we go.......

Test Date: exactly 10 weeks from today :eek:

just finished 30 min bio 9 tests. Didnt do as well as I thought I will do but time to move into chem and then orgo. They need to be completed this month at the latest, then use march for physics and then follow the 10 week schedule for my test on may 31st.

Megboo, i think it would be good for you to kinda through yourself into a deep water and take 10R next to see how you will score and what your weak areas are.
Good luck.

:scared:

But you may be right.

I might take 10 and save 8 and 9 for later after I've had more practice.

I wish AAMC hadn't taken away the other FLs!

:scared:

But you may be right.

I might take 10 and save 8 and 9 for later after I've had more practice.

I wish AAMC hadn't taken away the other FLs!

i think they should be posting them back on soon. You can also do Kaplan and TPR ones that are on their webs for free(but these for sure will be b*tches as the prep companies want you to freak out).
I was first going to take Kaplan as my diag, but then i realized that i will probobly get like 20 and get depressed:laugh:
i will be taking 3r next weekend to see how i will do. I do not want to waste 40 bucks for the diagnostic LOL. I am not at the same level with prep as you so it would be a waste of a test for me.

Let us know how you do on the 10r.
i know it's scary but think this way:
you still have time to improve your weak areas...but you have to know what they are:D
best of luck, and keep us posted

Yeah , I was thinking about taking Kaplan's dx this coming weekend, too and ultimately saving the AAMC exams for later in the game since they're supposed to be more representative (or whatever).

I did ok on 3r, not stellar, but I know where my weak areas still are:

Electrochem!!!!!!!

I have finished the first 100 questions in Chem 1001 and I think i missed 5, so that's a nice start. I'm almost afraid to keep going lest it burst my bubble!

I'm going to start doing as many practice problems as I can get my hands on.

I have been taking a slightly different approach to studying...I haven't really spent much time just going through the study materials. What I've been doing is taking full-lengths (kaplan and aamc) and a few mini kaplan tests (passage based, only ~30 q's per section, I just do BS and PS though). After I take the test, I look at the answer explanations and consult EK for the concepts I got wrong, taking lots of notes. I figure that this way, I get a lot of practice and by the time april comes around, I will have reviewed nearly all the topics and worked out my weaknesses. So I only really use EK to look over stuff I got wrong on the practice tests. I haven't done any of the EK problems, I'm not sure if I'll even get around to that (is it worth it as long as I've got other practice material?). Anyway, I feel I have a pretty good grasp on almost all of the topics now since I have seen them in passages. And I'd feel fairly comfortable taking the MCAT tomorrow (ok, maybe not that comfortable). I have already taken 7 full-length exams (and they are the old version length- so it's very grueling! But when I take the real MCAT, I'll be thinking, oh wow, that was quick! I hope :rolleyes: ). I plan to take a full-length every weekend until April.
My progress has been variable on the individual sections, although overall I have been doing well. Lately, I've been a little stagnant, so I've really got to work on moving up just a few points and keep steadily improving. Here are my scores thus far:

Kaplan Diagnostic (10/21/06): 10 PS 8 VR 6 BS = 24
Kaplan FL2 (11/22/06): 8 PS 10 VR 7 BS = 25
Kaplan FL1 (12/26/06): 9 PS 12 VR 10 BS = 31
Kaplan FL3 (1/1/07): 10 PS 12 VR 10 BS = 32
Kaplan FL4 (1/16/07): 12 PS 11 VR 9 BS = 32
AAMC 5R (1/28/07): 11 PS 10 VR 10 BS = 32
AAMC 6R (2/3/07): 11 PS 11 VR 11 BS = 33

As you can see, not so consistent on the individual sections! Any tips/thoughts about my study plan? Any advice is appreciated!

I have been taking a slightly different approach to studying...I haven't really spent much time just going through the study materials. What I've been doing is taking full-lengths (kaplan and aamc) and a few mini kaplan tests (passage based, only ~30 q's per section, I just do BS and PS though). After I take the test, I look at the answer explanations and consult EK for the concepts I got wrong, taking lots of notes. I figure that this way, I get a lot of practice and by the time april comes around, I will have reviewed nearly all the topics and worked out my weaknesses. So I only really use EK to look over stuff I got wrong on the practice tests. I haven't done any of the EK problems, I'm not sure if I'll even get around to that (is it worth it as long as I've got other practice material?). Anyway, I feel I have a pretty good grasp on almost all of the topics now since I have seen them in passages. And I'd feel fairly comfortable taking the MCAT tomorrow (ok, maybe not that comfortable). I have already taken 7 full-length exams (and they are the old version length- so it's very grueling! But when I take the real MCAT, I'll be thinking, oh wow, that was quick! I hope :rolleyes: ). I plan to take a full-length every weekend until April.
My progress has been variable on the individual sections, although overall I have been doing well. Lately, I've been a little stagnant, so I've really got to work on moving up just a few points and keep steadily improving. Here are my scores thus far:

Kaplan Diagnostic (10/21/06): 10 PS 8 VR 6 BS = 24
Kaplan FL2 (11/22/06): 8 PS 10 VR 7 BS = 25
Kaplan FL1 (12/26/06): 9 PS 12 VR 10 BS = 31
Kaplan FL3 (1/1/07): 10 PS 12 VR 10 BS = 32
Kaplan FL4 (1/16/07): 12 PS 11 VR 9 BS = 32
AAMC 5R (1/28/07): 11 PS 10 VR 10 BS = 32
AAMC 6R (2/3/07): 11 PS 11 VR 11 BS = 33

As you can see, not so consistent on the individual sections! Any tips/thoughts about my study plan? Any advice is appreciated!

I have a question I don't understand your study plan from this point of view. I believe that the Kaplan book is going to fully prepare me for Biology once I finish the Biology book. Meaning, once I take a full length the weak areas should come out and I can focus on them... However, I don't plan to have many week areas... that is why I am studying each sections as thoroughly as possible. Your method in my opinion is too scattered for me. I would be worrying about what I might of skipped come the real test time... Then when the test comes round you might be freaking out, thinking OH crap I didn't focus on such and such section... IMO...

LOL, however with that all said... you seem to have a really good well rounded background with your chem and physics which probably isn't the case for a lot of people on here. My physics will be fine but my chem is going to be grueling. I don't think I would do well at all by using your method. Neverthe less you should know what is best for you... So stick to it and dig in hard... Good luck.

This was a very productive weekend for me. I managed to squeeze MCAT study between prep for my two exams. I finished lecture 1 in bio, chem and orgo. I also did about 200 problems from 1001 books. I didn't even think i will be able to go in that pace before i started but i will just try to stay possitive and hope i will not get totally drained by the 31st of May.
I don't really know if i should slow down a little and do like 1 lecture every week (not 3 in two days LOL) in every subject plus practice problems or if i should stay in this pace?
I am affraid that i will finish everything in like 3 weeks and then will have enough time to forget it all:laugh:
what you guys recomend i should do?

p.s i haven't taken diag yet but my scores for EK 30 min tests are: bio 10/gen chem 9/ orgo 10.

I have a question I don't understand your study plan from this point of view. I believe that the Kaplan book is going to fully prepare me for Biology once I finish the Biology book. Meaning, once I take a full length the weak areas should come out and I can focus on them... However, I don't plan to have many week areas... that is why I am studying each sections as thoroughly as possible. Your method in my opinion is too scattered for me. I would be worrying about what I might of skipped come the real test time... Then when the test comes round you might be freaking out, thinking OH crap I didn't focus on such and such section... IMO...

LOL, however with that all said... you seem to have a really good well rounded background with your chem and physics which probably isn't the case for a lot of people on here. My physics will be fine but my chem is going to be grueling. I don't think I would do well at all by using your method. Neverthe less you should know what is best for you... So stick to it and dig in hard... Good luck.

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I feel like I have a pretty good background from my pre-reqs, so I technically "know" everything, it's just a question of remembering all of it. But at this point, I have pretty much reviewed all of the major topics, so anything that I get wrong is mostly minutia (or just stupid mistakes, lol), so I don't worry about it too much. Also, it's not as if I haven't looked through the books at all to see what will be tested on the MCAT, I just haven't done any thorough studying. So we'll see! Thanks for the support!

ParvatiP, which diagnostic did you take? The Kaplan diagnostic that they were doing at individual schools? If that's the case I scored about the same as you did but I've been dragging my feet and just reviewing.

Your technique seems really unconventional and I think its working really well for you because of your background. I doubt it would work for most people. I might have to start following in your path and start taking full lengths pretty soon. Its really about practice after you get the main ideas down!

I am not currently studying but wanted to say good luck using the EK material - It's definately worth the time and will help you get some adequate prep time in.

ParvatiP, which diagnostic did you take? The Kaplan diagnostic that they were doing at individual schools? If that's the case I scored about the same as you did but I've been dragging my feet and just reviewing.

Your technique seems really unconventional and I think its working really well for you because of your background. I doubt it would work for most people. I might have to start following in your path and start taking full lengths pretty soon. Its really about practice after you get the main ideas down!

Yeah, I took the free Kaplan diagnostic

Ah... MCAT studying...

I envy you guys, since your life has purpose and you have something you *should* be doing at all times, not just sitting around hitting refresh on your email inbox page.

I'd like to make a suggestion to save the most recent and best tests (AAMC 7,8,9,10) until the end. No need to waste those bad boys early and have only the old ones, or crappy Kaplan and PR tests left over.

And after you get through the material once, just start doing some old practice tests, and as you do those tests you'll see what your consistent problems are and you can go back and review a little bit.

You guys are going to kill this test if you've been studying for a while now. Expect to hit a wall in a couple months. But by then you'll already be golden, and one test a week will be enough for the last month or two. :luck: Have fun guys :thumbup: ;)

Ah... MCAT studying...

I envy you guys, since your life has purpose and you have something you *should* be doing at all times, not just sitting around hitting refresh on your email inbox page.

I'd like to make a suggestion to save the most recent and best tests (AAMC 7,8,9,10) until the end. No need to waste those bad boys early and have only the old ones, or crappy Kaplan and PR tests left over.

And after you get through the material once, just start doing some old practice tests, and as you do those tests you'll see what your consistent problems are and you can go back and review a little bit.

You guys are going to kill this test if you've been studying for a while now. Expect to hit a wall in a couple months. But by then you'll already be golden, and one test a week will be enough for the last month or two. :luck: Have fun guys :thumbup: ;)

Than you so much for the advice. I know you did really good on the test so it means a lot.
I was kinda doing exactly what you said: saving recent ones for the last month or so. I am doing EK and then do as many problems as i can get my hands of. After that i just do EK 30 minute exams. I will probobly take 3r just to see where i stand since i started studying only a week ago i want to keep track of my improvement...
Thanks once again for your advice we will all use it for sure.

to all MCATers....i have another advice i got from a friend. Study hard but have one day a week to do something fun so you will feel like a human and not some bookworm:laugh:
So I am going to ski:D especially that finally we got snow in IL :)

Well, I finished reviewing Ochem using the EK books. I did 75% of the 1001 questions before I just got sick of it. I cant even look at it anymore so now I've moved on to Biology. :laugh:

Ok, Please give me feedback on Lecture 6 for BIO... I feel I got a crap load of information down for the digestive system... Live... and Kidney... WTHELLO was up with the freaking MATH passage... I mean allbeit for that nonsense I did very well. I screwed up enough questions to get an 8 but for Goodness Sake... is there really math like this in the BIO section? not that the math is hard but relating it to what their asking catches me off gaurd... ERRRRRRrrr... what are you guys thought on the BIO??? thanks.

Well, I finished reviewing Ochem using the EK books. I did 75% of the 1001 questions before I just got sick of it. I cant even look at it anymore so now I've moved on to Biology. :laugh:

I am doing ochen right now and it is taking longer than waht I expected:confused: ; well I took that class a long time ago so I am relearning everything. How log did it take you? I am combining it with hyperlearning TPR since I need lengthier explannations to the the concepts. Comparing both, I think that TPR goes into too muvh detail but still good review if you need it:idea:

Ok, Please give me feedback on Lecture 6 for BIO... I feel I got a crap load of information down for the digestive system... Live... and Kidney... WTHELLO was up with the freaking MATH passage... I mean allbeit for that nonsense I did very well. I screwed up enough questions to get an 8 but for Goodness Sake... is there really math like this in the BIO section? not that the math is hard but relating it to what their asking catches me off gaurd... ERRRRRRrrr... what are you guys thought on the BIO??? thanks.

I am doing ochen right now and it is taking longer than waht I expected:confused: ; well I took that class a long time ago so I am relearning everything. How log did it take you? I am combining it with hyperlearning TPR since I need lengthier explannations to the the concepts. Comparing both, I think that TPR goes into too muvh detail but still good review if you need it:idea:

cabrillo, if you are dusty on orgo i wouldn't recoment EK. They seem to jump into big stuff before they explain the basics. And the 30-min exam was a b*tch.
If you can get your hand on "Orgnanic chemistry as a second language" you would be golden to move on to EK. I love those books. They explain everything in such an approachable way and they are golden for understanding mechanisms and resonance...awsome exercizes too.

EK orgo lecture 1 took me about 2 hr but i am very fresh on the material since i took it last semester and am taking orgo2 now.
Try those book, you won't regret it
GL
:)

If you look back you will see that several of us found that chapter hard. I for one thought it was the worst b/c I was surprised by some of the exam questions. The information its self was easy and known to me.

On another matter is anyone else having a hard time putting energy into studying. It is just that studying is my second priority after work and I have not done well studying this past week. I just want to chill out when I am not working. Plus I feel there is no hope for physics, I might just throw it out and see what happens on my next practice test. I plan to take one on sunday to see how I am doing :eek:

grrrrr... I'm stuck at 9s for Ek BIO 30 min tests. Keep falling for the tricky answers.

Anyone know if these are harder than real MCAT passages/questions? I'm just hoping that the MCAT will be a little more straightforward :oops:

/rant

UGGGH!!

I just took cbt 4 to kind of see where I was after about three weeks of part time study and it was awful. I only scored a 19 vr 9 bs 6 ps 4.

So I was upset my vr dropped. my past few ek tests have been 11's. The bs part seemed harder than some of the ek stuff. When I reviewed the questions I got wrong for at least 50% of them I just picked the wrong one. I had the answer down to two choices and just picked wrong. I guess that is just part of learning to take the test?? As for ps, the bane of my existance, God help me. I have to get this up to something reasonable if I want a shot at acceptance this year. I would be happy with a 7 in all honesty. Right now since I have no clue about some of that stuff I just guessed.

Well at least I am motivated once again to study! Lets hope my next test in about ten days (kaplan or tpr free test) will be a little better.....

Hey guys, how do you all get thru all the material so quickly? I've been doing the chapter problems, 1001/s and 30min exams, but I can only finish 1 chapter for all 4 subjects in a week. Granted, i DO work full-time, but still it seems like some of you guys are flying through the material. Also...I want to take a full-length, but I feel like its pointless to do so without getting thru all the material first? What do you guys think? Plus, i dont really wanna waste a full-length just to see that I'm weak in areas I already know i'm weak in (not having been thru the material yet). Also...its been taking me alot of time, just to analyze what type of questions i'm getting wrong and why i'm getting them wrong (from 1001's and lecture questions)....Plus, going back and reviewing material from the first few lectures as I progress thru the books, also takes up alot of time. Anyway, I just feel like i'm moving 2miles and hour compared to everybody else :(

Hey guys, how do you all get thru all the material so quickly? I've been doing the chapter problems, 1001/s and 30min exams, but I can only finish 1 chapter for all 4 subjects in a week. Granted, i DO work full-time, but still it seems like some of you guys are flying through the material. Also...I want to take a full-length, but I feel like its pointless to do so without getting thru all the material first? What do you guys think? Plus, i dont really wanna waste a full-length just to see that I'm weak in areas I already know i'm weak in (not having been thru the material yet). Also...its been taking me alot of time, just to analyze what type of questions i'm getting wrong and why i'm getting them wrong (from 1001's and lecture questions)....Plus, going back and reviewing material from the first few lectures as I progress thru the books, also takes up alot of time. Anyway, I just feel like i'm moving 2miles and hour compared to everybody else :(

Trust me... first hand here... slow and methodical, is much better than burning out after a week... take your time. =]

I wouldn't get any of the 1001 books unless you're weak in an area, but the 101 passages in verbal reasoning is a must. Oh, and yes, they are separate.

it all depends how fresh the matierial is in your head. For me going through let's say orgo (that i just took last semester and am taking the second part now) is fast. Most of the info i know anyway. This makes me read the lecture only once. Then i do problems from 1001 book but that goes fast too if you know what you are doing. I think that orgo lecture 1 took me about 2-3 hrs together with practice and 30-min lecture exam. I also listen to AO whenever possible, and since i am stuck in traffic all the time it works really good.

I also did very good in my bio (3 years ago) but in the mean time i have reviewed all the matierial last summer when i was going to med school in Poland (loooong story). So i am relatively remebering stuff really well.
I never have to read the lecture more then once. Sometimes i make some notes with my pencil on the margin and then when i am finished i review that written info.
But this is me.
If you are not fresh with material or you have very busy schedule then you may need a lot more time to get through lectures.

Don't worry about it, just go in your pace and make sure you get everything down to your head. And i think you are right with the FL. I am saving mine for the later too. You could probobly just take either 3r or kaplan free MCAt just to see how you do.

Well, I've been slacking a bit in my MCAT studies. All I've been doing the past two weeks is bio passages from a TPR book and listening to EK audio osmosis (ALL of it). Can't bring myself to get past chapter 2 in the EK Physics book or finish the second half of the EK chem book.

Regardless, I took another practice MCAT and am VERY happy that it went up from a 26 (3R) to a 30 (4 cbt). Still really got to work on PS since the best I've gotten is an 8 (anyone know if you still have a shot to get into med school with an 8 in one section?). Chem calculation problems and all of physics is still pure hell for me and I worry about ever getting a 9 or 10 in that section. And I know that the earlier MCATs are supposed to be on the easier side, so I'm still relatively scared of the real thing.

Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, e-mcat recently released 3-10 all in cbt format, which I was ECSTATIC to see yesterday when I checked. They're all in proper cbt format now (3 hrs 20 minutes - excluding the essay section of course). I plan to do all of them before I take the MCAT, basically one every other week.

You know, I just got an e-mail today that Kaplan's coming to my school to give a diagnostic on Saturday. It would be insanely easy to go, if it weren't for the fact that I'm working. *sighs*

Oh, as far as EK studying goes... I've been slacking off. I had three tests last week and got really behind as a result. I'm hoping to do a slow catch up.

That's good to hear about the AAMC re-releasing in cbt form!

Finally improving my 30-minute exam scores from 9's to 11's but only in Bio so far. The kidney and me - we're buddies. Same for the immune system and digestion/absorption.

I need to go back and really dig into molecular bio I guess.

Hey everyone... I got a major update for the BIO lecture 7 regarding cardiovascular information...

The problem came with the gas exchange... EK explained it and perhaps some of you got it... especially thinking you got it coming from an anatomy and phys class but for me and a slew of others... The EK was a little lacking... So, the great people here on SDN providing great answers to some of the questions I was seeking and I will post the important information ASAP...

Hi everyone! I'm also going to be using EK eventually... for now I just have a quick question about this:

That's good to hear about the AAMC re-releasing in cbt form!

Does anyone know if there's some sort of overall membership you can pay to get access to them all, or do you really have to pay for each test individually? (I thought I might have heard about that somewhere, but I can't find anything about it on the actual site.) Thanks!

Hi everyone! I'm also going to be using EK eventually... for now I just have a quick question about this:

Does anyone know if there's some sort of overall membership you can pay to get access to them all, or do you really have to pay for each test individually? (I thought I might have heard about that somewhere, but I can't find anything about it on the actual site.) Thanks!

each test individually

Didn't AAMC used to have a full membership where you would pay like 90 bucks and have access to all of the old tests? I just spent $245 for all of the CBT tests and it hurts!!!

cabrillo, if you are dusty on orgo i wouldn't recoment EK. They seem to jump into big stuff before they explain the basics. And the 30-min exam was a b*tch.
If you can get your hand on "Orgnanic chemistry as a second language" you would be golden to move on to EK. I love those books. They explain everything in such an approachable way and they are golden for understanding mechanisms and resonance...awsome exercizes too.

EK orgo lecture 1 took me about 2 hr but i am very fresh on the material since i took it last semester and am taking orgo2 now.
Try those book, you won't regret it
GL
:)

Hi!

I was just wondering if you would be kind enough to tell me why you think it's a good book. I just looked at Amazon, and it's about 20 dollars used. Do you really think it's that worth it? Would you still recommend it even though I haven't taken ochem in a few years?

Thanks in advance:):luck:

Hi!

I was just wondering if you would be kind enough to tell me why you think it's a good book. I just looked at Amazon, and it's about 20 dollars used. Do you really think it's that worth it? Would you still recommend it even though I haven't taken ochem in a few years?

Thanks in advance:):luck:

i just think it is written in a language that is very easy to understand. It is devided into chapters and it is like a language book. First the easiest stuff, the 'alphabets' of the orgo before you move on to sentences (<---reactions).
If not for that book i would be so lost during my orgo class. It was nice because it corelletes with the chapters in my textbook and sometimes i wouldn't even have to read my text because this book was explaining stuff well enough that i was able to go straight to the problems.
In terms of the MCAT i think this book has all the info you need, resonance, reactions, stereochemistry, SN1 SN2 and all that business explained in a way that even a child would be able to understand it.
I personally love it and think it is absolutely worth the time and money. It is also written in a way that will keep u interested and able to go through more then 2 pages/hr:laugh: