DICK VET c/o 2014 & 15

Started by flyhi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also called my credit card company ahead of time, and they were cool with it. 😎

Gah, there is so much going on right now! Finishing classes! Getting the VISA! Moving to Ohio for 2 months! THEN moving to Scotland! How you guys dealing with the stress?:scared:

BTW, check if your FGF form got there, mine did not. USPS thinks it was because of the volcano.


Currently, I'm ignoring it as best I can until I get done with the semester! I've got 5 (count them, FIVE) exams and 3 projects in the next two weeks. 😱 I am trying not to let myself focus on the fact that I might be headed overseas in 3 months, have to sell my horse, move my cats, and leave my boyfriend behind!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I GOT ON THE AUGUST 8TH QUEEN MARY CRUISE. NO MORE VISA ISSUES.........WOOOOOOOOT :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

And, I get to stay in the US an extra month. YAY!

Also, got my student mentor yesterday. Off to stalk, i mean see if she is on FB.
 
thanks guys...hip hip hooray!

on another note, i went to do some banking today at Wachovia/Wells Fargo and started asking a bunch of questions to the branch manager about how i would best transfer funds to the UK. I know we are probably all going to get bank accounts over there, but just something to consider in the meantime (this is only info from my bank, btw):

1. To use most US atm cards in the UK, you are charged an international fee by your US bank (Wachovia/Wells is 3% of withdrawal) PLUS the fee charged by the atm.
2. To use my debit card internationally, i would be charged a 3% fee.
3. To use most US credit cards over there (Capital One and Amex i believe are both exceptions, but i need to check), there is a fee - usually around 3-5% per purchase.

YIPES! Bottom line....check with your bank on the charges before you get burned. He said a lot of people come back from their European vacations very surprised. I would have been for sure.
 
I can verify that Capital One does not charge the fee. My mom's friend travels to Europe a lot and uses that card since there is no fee. I haven't heard of Amex doing that though. That you'd have to check on.
 
I found the most economical way to move chunks of money from the States to Britain is by cashing a US check into my UK account. There is an international fee, but it works out cheaper than wiring money between my two accounts. Probably varies by bank though.
 
I need to vent.

I have so much to do prior to leaving. Sell my house, which in itself is huge. But I also have to get rid of almost everything I own, pack up those things I want to keep and put into storage, throw out the junk that I've collected, take stuff to charity that I don't need.

Plus i'm working a full time job, 12 hour shifts. My mom keeps pressing me to do this and do that, and don't do that first...AHHHH.

Go 5 hours away to finish my visa application, do stupid training for work for new equipment that I'll only use for ~10 shifts before leaving.

I'm only one person!

/vent
 
Has anyone going to Edinburgh applied for William D. Ford Direct Loans or we still can't do anything yet?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I already have done entrance counseling and the MPN is a quick sign. I just don't know when the school will get done with their training and signing the PPA document they have to send back to the US. I hope things get cleared out soon.
 
Yay, grades are in and I met my conditions with flying colors! 😀 Now all I have to do is harass the transcript office to send my official one out after grades are posted asap and make sure they send it to the right place!
 
Yay, grades are in and I met my conditions with flying colors! 😀 Now all I have to do is harass the transcript office to send my official one out after grades are posted asap and make sure they send it to the right place!

Congratulations again! I'm so glad we'll be in this together.
 
Yay, grades are in and I met my conditions with flying colors! 😀 Now all I have to do is harass the transcript office to send my official one out after grades are posted asap and make sure they send it to the right place!

Hooray, good job! 😀
 
Yay! Awesome for you! I have my finals next week 🙁. But I should be fine. One of my conditional classes was last semester, and I met it easily. The other two will not be done until the end of next week... and then who knows how long it will take them to send out the transcripts.... 🙁.
 
Yay, grades are in and I met my conditions with flying colors! 😀 Now all I have to do is harass the transcript office to send my official one out after grades are posted asap and make sure they send it to the right place!
Yay! Congrats! 😀
 
Just because I thought this was interesting, I had submitted my late-application to Edinburgh earlier this spring as a bit of a "why not?" try at vet school. I hadn't received many replies but recently received this:


Hi Mary

Sorry for the lack of contact - we've had various email problems at this end for a few weeks, so contact to you may have gone astray.

Thank you for submitting your late application materials to me to consider for a place on 4-year BVM&S Graduate Entry Programme commencing August 2010 here at the University of Edinburgh. We are currently oversubscribed for places on the course and the Admissions Committee is currently not making any further offers of places at this stage. However, we are considering applications on a waiting list basis. The deadline for applications is 7th May with the outcome from us back to the candidate being Friday 15th May. I realise that this is some way off but if you would like me to forward the information you have already submitted to the Admissions Committee for one of these places, please let me know asap. If you do not wish to proceed any further, I would also be grateful if you could let me know.

Best regards

Geraldine



Interesting? (Oh and this was from April 22, which is why she was May 7th is "some way off".)
 
Sorry to hear that Mary. Are you going for the waitlist or going to try next year?

I, like psjlg, just graduated and requested my official transcript today. I will be sending that off next week, however, I have a bit of a concern. It states on my transcript that my degree is pending even though you can clearly see I have the required courses, credit hours, and gpa. I asked the lady at my uni today about how long it would say that. She told me it takes 6 to 8 weeks to be updated! WTF? I hope that doesn't cause more delays because I don't have 6 to 8 weeks to wait. I am going to email Victoria and I'll let you all know what she says if you are running into the same problem.
 
Got my Unconditional Firm today!! Yay! Happy day! :soexcited::banana:

Good for you! 😀 I have 1 more final on Wed. My grade in the class, if I get a zero on the final would be 79.8%... so I am confident that I will get the required B.
 
Sorry to hear that Mary. Are you going for the waitlist or going to try next year?

I, like psjlg, just graduated and requested my official transcript today. I will be sending that off next week, however, I have a bit of a concern. It states on my transcript that my degree is pending even though you can clearly see I have the required courses, credit hours, and gpa. I asked the lady at my uni today about how long it would say that. She told me it takes 6 to 8 weeks to be updated! WTF? I hope that doesn't cause more delays because I don't have 6 to 8 weeks to wait. I am going to email Victoria and I'll let you all know what she says if you are running into the same problem.


Oh I appreciate the condolences, but my application was more "just to see" than a serious attempt-- though I certainly am going for the waitlist! I am very much not expecting any sort of acceptance, though will admit I'm excited for the possibility! I'll keep everyone posted!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MaryCatherine,

I got the same waitlist email, and I just got an acceptance email into the 4 year programme. So stay positive! I wasn't expecting much either. Good luck. :luck:
 
Hey all,

I'm applying for FAFSA now (I know I'm a late bloomer in applying), but I am kinda stuck as to what to pick for this option. In the question for, When you begin the 2010-2011 school year, what will be your grade level? Are we 5th year/other undergraduate or 1st year graduate/professional? In the states I know we would be graduate level, but since the edin program is technically an undergraduate program, I'm at a loss as to which option to select.

Thanks!!
 
MaryCatherine,

I got the same waitlist email, and I just got an acceptance email into the 4 year programme. So stay positive! I wasn't expecting much either. Good luck. :luck:

Congrats! Are you going to accept your offer?

Hey all,

I'm applying for FAFSA now (I know I'm a late bloomer in applying), but I am kinda stuck as to what to pick for this option. In the question for, When you begin the 2010-2011 school year, what will be your grade level? Are we 5th year/other undergraduate or 1st year graduate/professional? In the states I know we would be graduate level, but since the edin program is technically an undergraduate program, I'm at a loss as to which option to select.

Thanks!!

I chose professional since that's what I would have filled out for if I was staying state-side. Not sure if that was correct, but I filled it out and turned it in before my IS school rejected me. Hope it helps! 🙂
 
Congrats! Are you going to accept your offer?

Thanks... I have no idea. I applied late on a whim but I have no idea if I can get everything in order by then... it gives me anxiety just thinking about it. But I didn't get in anywhere else and it seems like a great opportunity so who knows... I'm stressed!
 
YAY I got my unconditional firm today, been watching my transcript mill its way through tennessee, london, edinburgh, then finally down to midlothian. WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO Happy Dance!
 
YAY I got my unconditional firm today, been watching my transcript mill its way through tennessee, london, edinburgh, then finally down to midlothian. WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO Happy Dance!

haha...I'm doing the tracking thing right now. I have to get away from this computer. I keep looking to see where it is every 10 minutes. It is sitting at the East Midlands GB airport right now. Congratulations, my friend!
 
Man, I wish my transcripts had a tracking code on them! I had to guestimate on when my transcripts should arrive there. :ninja:
 
Hey marycatharine, I just (finally) declined my seat so maybe it will work out for you? I hope somebody who really wants to go (and preferably from SDN) gets it!

As far as visas and such with transcripts, I was trying to get my things in order last year with classes not ending until middle of June and it would have been doable. If you don't have your passport do it NOW though!
Good luck to everybody going abroad! Keep us updated with your lives on the other side of the pond.
 
Aw thanks everyone, but I didn't get in! I really did just apply on a whim and think I'm going to re-apply everywhere next fall once I have the best possible application.
 
MaryCatherine: I wish you the best of luck next year! If you are going to Edin next year, let us know!!

DogTyred: Wooo!! Way to go!!! Now its the mad dash to get everything going for the move. I'm already feeling that these few months left are going to fly. I got <100 days left before my flight! *gulps in trepidation*
 
MaryCatherine: I wish you the best of luck next year! If you are going to Edin next year, let us know!!

DogTyred: Wooo!! Way to go!!! Now its the mad dash to get everything going for the move. I'm already feeling that these few months left are going to fly. I got <100 days left before my flight! *gulps in trepidation*

I second that MaryCatherine. I wish you all the best with your apps next cycle.

SoBeVet, I know, right? I leave July 20th and still we're waiting on financial aid info. Ghaaa! It'll all work out, though, right? I mean, it's in their best interest to help get us that money so it will happen. Right? 😕
 
Hi all. Does anyone know whether we can defer admission for the GEP? I got off the waitlist a week ago and am having a hard time wrapping my head around getting everything together to move overseas in less than 2 months but if I had a year I'd have time to actually get excited.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!!!!
So excited to start in a few months!!!
I was just wondering what people chose/ are going to choose for their accommodation? Iv been talking to some people about getting our own place but not sure how easy thats going to be from over seas! If anyone is doing that do you know where the best places are or is anyone in need of a roommate?!

Let me know what your doing, id like to be in the best place and be around other new dick vet students 😀
 
Hi all. Does anyone know whether we can defer admission for the GEP? I got off the waitlist a week ago and am having a hard time wrapping my head around getting everything together to move overseas in less than 2 months but if I had a year I'd have time to actually get excited.


i deferred last year from the 5 year program. I got accepted in the spring and did not have enough time to get my dogs ready to meet the requirements. I also had a home i was leasing and had to move across the country, so they allowed me to defer. It was nice to have some extra time, but the year draaaaaggggggeedd on and i was always wishing i was there! If you can do it, i would. And, i think you can!

Good Luck
 
i deferred last year from the 5 year program. I got accepted in the spring and did not have enough time to get my dogs ready to meet the requirements. I also had a home i was leasing and had to move across the country, so they allowed me to defer. It was nice to have some extra time, but the year draaaaaggggggeedd on and i was always wishing i was there! If you can do it, i would. And, i think you can!

Good Luck

Thanks! I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing I just wanted to see if I had the option... I have a dog who will need someone to stay with until I can get him over there, I need to find a place to live, sell my stuff, get a visa, etc etc... all of which I'm finding quite overwhelming... I was so upset when I didn't get in anywhere this year but finally came to peace with it and decided maybe I was meant to wait one more year... so it came as a complete shock when I got in and now I feel that since I made peace with waiting another year now that gears have changed I feel completely off balance. I know I should just be thankful I got in and book the plane ticket as soon as possible!
 
Hey guys!!!!
So excited to start in a few months!!!
I was just wondering what people chose/ are going to choose for their accommodation? Iv been talking to some people about getting our own place but not sure how easy thats going to be from over seas! If anyone is doing that do you know where the best places are or is anyone in need of a roommate?!

Let me know what your doing, id like to be in the best place and be around other new dick vet students 😀

I'm going for private accommodation for the university year. However, I'll be spending my first 5 weeks in university catered accommodation. I think the e-mail said I'm booked in the Baird House for the time being.

Join the Facebook group and introduce yourself! I believe it's called Dick Vet Freshers 2010. At one point we did have an SDN post on the page.