DICK VET c/o 2014 & 15

Started by flyhi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anyone know if our fall schedule is posted anywhere???

Ha! That's a funny joke! Oh, wait, are you serious? 😉 😛

Are you looking for class schedule (as in "Anatomy on MWF from 10-11") or semester schedule? General semester schedule is attached. Good luck on that class schedule business - IME, you're not likely to get it very far ahead of time...
 

Attachments

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi folks,

Just found this thread - I just completed the GEP year at the Dick Vet; feel free to ask me any questions.

A few quick things I saw from skimming this thread:

1 - unless you're dead-set on staying in a flat immediately, staying at pollock halls for the first five weeks is a great idea. About 75% of our class did that, and it was a great way to meet and bond with classmates as there were always social things going on every night.

2 - campus housing - depending on whether or not Easter Bush construction is completed on time (and I'm guessing it won't be based on the progress when I left), if you're going to be a 1st year or GEP student and all your classes are at Summerhall, try to get into Sciennes housing - it is literally right across the street from Summerhall and in a nice part of town on the Southeast corner of the meadows. It's not glamorous - typical student housing - but extremely convenient. Rolling out of bed 5 minutes before class is nice. Also, the housing office tries to group vet students together when possible as we tend to be a bit older than the average student.

3 - the pre-course reading you're expected to do - read it but don't stress over it. There is a 5 point question (out of 100 total) on the Animal Body 1 exam paper in September. Our question this year was to describe G-linked protein receptors; last year they had a question about mitosis / meiosis. It would be FAR more to your benefit to order a copy of Miller's Anatomy of the Dog and just read it over during the next few weeks.

4 - textbooks in general - aside from Miller's - are not required. There are suggested texts, but several copies of all of them are available from the library. Printouts of class notes are provided prior to lectures, and contain everything you need to know. Most students either annotate the handouts with additional info given during the lecture or download the notes on eevec and then annotate them on their laptops.

5 - as far as lifestyle changes are concerned - weather is quite mild. Average winter temp is 5 degrees celsius, so not too cold at all. And, despite its reputation, it doesn't rain all day every day. Many days when it rains it only lasts for 5 or 10 minutes. Healthy food is not nearly as readily available as it is in North America. Lots of deep fried foods over here, and fresh produce / vegetables are available in the off season but quite pricy. If you're concerned about transport, don't be - the public transport is great. Student passes for the bus run around 40 quid a month, although you don't need one unless you live in a flat far from Summerhall. The Dick Vet runs a bus service from Summerhall to Easter Bush in the mornings and afternoons Mon-Fri, and they schedule buses for any classes or practicals (labs) you may have out at Easter Bush or Langhill (the dairy farm).

6 - don't get stressed about the grading system. All the North Americans in my class entered the GEP program with undergrad marks in the 80's and 90's... class averages for every exam this year have been between 55 and 65. They simply don't give the same type of marks here as they do in North America; once you realize that all you need is a 50 (pass) you'll be fine. Unfortunately, many students (and families!!!) have a hard time accepting that a 60 is considered a great mark, equivalent to Honours in North America.

If anyone has specific questions, fire away.
 
Last edited:
i'm trying to make a budget and i wanted to know if anyone knew how much the following things would cost monthly!!

food
dog food
transportation (if i end up needing to take a bus to classes)
cell phone
school supplies

can anyone think of anything else??
Food - I'm not a great one to ask since I eat out quite a bit, but I'd think 200 quid a month would do you quite easily.

Dog food - no idea, I don't have pets over here. Medical and all the major vet food brands are available over here and vet students get a 40 or 50% discount on food. An email goes out to the entire school once a month and you have a few days to get your order in.

Transport - monthly student pass for the bus runs about 40 quid. Single rides run 1.20 and a day pass can be had for 3 pounds. Don't bother buying a monthly pass unless you live far from Summerhall.

Cell phone - depends on what type you go with. I would say a minority of students use pay as you go; whereas blackberries / iphones run anywhere from 20-40 pounds a month. My typical monthly bill runs about 60 pounds a month for an iphone on O2 network as I use a "bolt on" that allows me to call anywhere in North America for 10p a minute. Skype is cheaper but I prefer the freedom of calling from anywhere.

School supplies - initial cost of boiler suit (coveralls), waterproofs, wellies and paddock boots (essentially steel toed construction boots) ran me about 120 pounds. Could have been about 20 or 30 pounds cheaper but I went with a better quality waterproof set. I think stethoscopes run about 50-100 pounds at Hewat's; not certain as I brought mine from home. Books - as little or much as you want. Miller's anatomy of the dog is the only "must-have" book as far as I am concerned. Quite honestly the class notes provided on eevec are sufficient. Dissection kit runs 20 quid. Binders, pens, paper, etc are pretty negligble - I only went through 2 binders and about 200 pages of paper for the year.
 
i'm trying to make a budget and i wanted to know if anyone knew how much the following things would cost monthly!!

food
dog food
transportation (if i end up needing to take a bus to classes)
cell phone
school supplies

can anyone think of anything else??

Food: I aimed for 20 GBP/week and probably was closer to 25 every time. I don't have a starbucks habit though, and I'm partial to beans on toast so that helps. 😛

Dog Food: If you want to order through the school you can ask Jenny.mcdonald(at)ed.ac.uk about the Hills food pricing. be sure to mention you'll be a student I think another ACA does the Royal Canin order but she could tell you who.

Transportation: The SH to Bush school chartered bus was no use to me as I live midway between SH and Bush. I keep campaigning for better (free) service for students so hopefully once everyone is out at Bush it will get better. See http://lothianbuses.com/ for information. I got the four-weekly student pass for the last few years and it's so convenient and much cheaper than keeping a car. I recommend living on the 67 route. It's much more convenient/reliable than the 15. If you are over 25 you can't get the student rate. 🙁 boo.

Cell: I lived without one for two years then got locked out of my flat coming back into the country from Indonesia and had to go traipsing across edinburgh on killer jetlag to find my flat-mate. Found a Pay as you go phone after that. Car Phone Warehouse is quite good. you can buy a phone and 10 pounds of credit for about 15 pounds. 10 pounds lasts me 6 months if I text only. Texts are 10p or something and calling is much more expensive. I don't use it much. Just meeting up with people in town. It really depends on how much you use it.

School supplies: depends on your study/note taking methods. Edinburgh Bargain store is a great place to start and easy to find. It's on clerk street right across from st. patrick square.

bills: our power bill was pretty high this winter since the weather was fairly baltic for months. I think we paid almost four hundred for the coldest quarter. So remember to save a couple hundred a year for that. We don't have the most efficient flat. Our Phone/internet bill is about 30GBP/month but shared by 3 so not bad at all. Students needn't pay council tax. I've heard varying stories about Significant Others. I think it depends on your housing situation and whether they work. There is a tax for using a TV. We keep one for movies only so don't pay that one.

Hey y'all! I passed finals! 😀 I'll be a vet on July 3rd! :highfive:
 
thanks chagheill and scotvet!

is it cheaper to bundle home phone and internet or to just get internet?? maybe i'll just have home phone and internet and get a pay as you go phone for texts. i'm definately looking to cut as many costs as possible! also, two other girls and i found a place across from summerhall for 960/month. i'm not sure if we'll get it or not but i hope so, it looks really nice! is that considered a good amount to pay or can we find somewhere cheaper?

That's not bad for the area if the flat is nice. I would expect full kitchen for that. 300 is average in town. I pay 200 but I'm well out of town in a smallish room, a nice 10 minutes from easter bush. Our home phone is barely anything. That's mostly internet. Shop around for bundles. You can get ones that include a mobile too, but since we're sharing between 3 its simpler for all of us to sort our own mobiles out.
 
Is it bus line 16A that takes students to Easter Bush? Also what time exactly in the morning and afternoon does the Easter Bush shuttle bus come to pick up students?
 
I am 10 minutes walking distance from Summerhall at Fountain Hall Road when I move into my flat, but I will need to find a bus route to Easter Bush if it is not with the shuttle bus provided by the DIck Vet School.
 
I am 10 minutes walking distance from Summerhall at Fountain Hall Road when I move into my flat, but I will need to find a bus route to Easter Bush if it is not with the shuttle bus provided by the DIck Vet School.


67 picks up outside summerhall and goes all the way to bush every time. Some 15s go all the way to Bush some only go to the corner. I'm not as familiar with that route.

The school sends out a weekly bus schedule. It varies depending on how many students need to be out at bush and when. Also many students drive, so buddy up and pitch in for petrol.
 
Ill be one of those that will be driving. Selling my car and using the money to buy a used car over there. Rides are not a problem, like scotvet said just pitch in for petrol. ;D Just gotta remember its short left turm, wide right turn. Lol
 
I will be leaving for Edinburgh in just about a month. For those of you out there already, what bank do you use out in Edinburgh? I know the school suggests a few places, but I own an HSBC card and thought that that bank may work. Do you have any suggestions on how to open a bank account out there and which bank is most practical?
 
Ha! That's a funny joke! Oh, wait, are you serious? 😉 😛

Are you looking for class schedule (as in "Anatomy on MWF from 10-11") or semester schedule? General semester schedule is attached. Good luck on that class schedule business - IME, you're not likely to get it very far ahead of time...

Thanks, Tiempo. Yeah, crazy me, i was looking for a class schedule :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have a North American HSBC account, I'm relatively certain you can open a UK HSBC account with no problems. Setting up bank accounts in general is a bit of a hassle for foreign students due to new banking regulations which went into effect a few years ago trying to combat money laundering.

Most of the people in my class went with Abbey bank (now Santander) as they had a special international student account which didn't require proof of address, etc - all we had to do was take our proof of enrollment at the school.

As far as your schedule goes - there may be a preliminary schedule posted online but consider it a work in progress. Throughout the year the posted schedule will change week to week, as classes are rescheduled or moved to different venues. Some people in our class bitch about it, but they forget the fact that nearly all of our professors are clinicians who often get unavoidably tied up.

Generally - classes start at 9 am, run to 1pm with a lunch break, and then practicals (labs) run from 2-5pm. On occasion you will have an entire day of class, and similarly on occasion you'll have days off. Wednesdays are almost always half days ending at 1pm.
 
I will be leaving for Edinburgh in just about a month. For those of you out there already, what bank do you use out in Edinburgh? I know the school suggests a few places, but I own an HSBC card and thought that that bank may work. Do you have any suggestions on how to open a bank account out there and which bank is most practical?

I've been very happy with Lloyds. Much less hoop jumping than HBOS was asking. I had an account same day. I don't know about HSBC.

ScotVet BVM&S MRCVS <--check it! just got those puppies a couple hours ago. 🙂
 
I've been very happy with Lloyds. Much less hoop jumping than HBOS was asking. I had an account same day. I don't know about HSBC.

ScotVet BVM&S MRCVS <--check it! just got those puppies a couple hours ago. 🙂
:soexcited::highfive:
You Rock!
 
Funny thing, I have a Sovereign Bank account and that is owned by Santander. I might be able to easily open a bank account with the Abbey/Santander out in Edinburgh.
 
I applied for the HSBC Passport account online (for international students or employees) and all I need is my passport and the UCAS letter of admission to the university. They don't require a UK address to open until you finally get one. They mailed me my welcome letter and all I have to do is show the documents in person once I get to Edin. The account includes a debit card and 24 hour online banking service. So far so good.
 
I've been very happy with Lloyds. Much less hoop jumping than HBOS was asking. I had an account same day. I don't know about HSBC.

ScotVet BVM&S MRCVS <--check it! just got those puppies a couple hours ago. 🙂

CONGRATS!! :clap::clap::bow::bow::highfive:

Now what??
 
Hey guys! I hope all the Visa stuff is going well. I remember what that was like!

Anyway, I am moving from my flat to one closer to Easter Bush and wanted to tell you about our old one before my landlord put it on Gumtree. It's a one bedroom and was £460 for my husband and me (but he might change it). The nice thing about it though was that the landlord let us move in without meeting us, and he let us bring our cat. And dealing with people internationally over the internet is scary, so I can tell you that he does exist and won't just take your deposit and run. We'll be all the way out August 10th, but if you need in before that we might be able to work something out (Our new lease starts the 1st). It's on the canal and is 2.1 miles from Summerhall (something very bike-able, I did it in 11 minutes every morning). So PM me and I can send you some pictures, my phone number and my landlord's number if you're interested--just don't expect to understand him over the phone, haha.
 
I have a somewhat girly/technical question...

I want to bring my fancy hair-straightener, its rated at 110/60hz. I know I need a different plug adapter for the wall, and I need a voltage converter to get the 230 from UK down to a nice 110 so I don't fry my beauty tool 😉

Anyone already over there have any suggestions about what kind of voltage converter? Or a good place to get one? I've been looking on amazon but I leave in now....9 days and I'd like to have it before I go and can't seem to find out if RabioShack has anything.

I'm bringing my iHome, MacBook, and probably a few other things and I'll have to get stuff for those too. If anyone knows a store that has them, plug adapter and voltage converter LET ME KNOW!!!
 
I have a somewhat girly/technical question...

I want to bring my fancy hair-straightener, its rated at 110/60hz. I know I need a different plug adapter for the wall, and I need a voltage converter to get the 230 from UK down to a nice 110 so I don't fry my beauty tool 😉

Anyone already over there have any suggestions about what kind of voltage converter? Or a good place to get one? I've been looking on amazon but I leave in now....9 days and I'd like to have it before I go and can't seem to find out if RabioShack has anything.

I'm bringing my iHome, MacBook, and probably a few other things and I'll have to get stuff for those too. If anyone knows a store that has them, plug adapter and voltage converter LET ME KNOW!!!


The Apple store has them for your comp(a nifty one that lets you use your power cord anywhere in the world).. Radioshack, Target, any travel store, and any airport will have them too.

If i were you though, I would just get a hair straightener there...even with the converters and adapters, they tend to burn out, and you will be there for 4 years 😉
 
So I don't know THAT much about this type of stuff. But from what I've heard, it's better just to buy a hair straightener over there. My mom's friend who travels to Europe a lot has blown a lot of things even with a voltage converter. So for the cheaper type of items, it's easier just to purchase another that won't die when you plug it in.

For a plug in converter, I've seen them at Best Buy and Office Max. I believe the brand I bought was Targus, and used it when I went to Japan for my computer. Worked out great and was easy to use. It comes with 3 plug in types and you can combine two of them if your US plug doesn't plug exactly into one of them. I think for Japan, I had to plug it into the Europe one, then Europe to Japan compatible. I think Best Buy had it for $25 and Office Max for $20.

Keep in mind you shouldn't need a voltage converter for your MacBook. At least I didn't need one for my PC. The big box/cube part on the MacBook should be your voltage converter. I did see in the Apple store that they sold that piece (box part) with the different plug ins for each country. I think it came with 6 of them.

I only saw voltage converters at Office Max. However, I stopped looking once I found it so I don't know who else sells them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone in the 5 year programme received their email from the financial aid office concerning their student loans?? I've already done my FAFSA and MPN but no word on Edin acknowledging that they have my loan application.
 
i'm glad this adapter/converter stuff came up, cause i have not even addressed it yet...ahhhh
 
Any decent laptop that's been built in the last 10 years will have a built in adaptor in it's power cord. Don't bother about taking adaptors or convertors over with you as they take up precious luggage room; buy them once you get there. There's a dozen electronics or computer shops within a mile of Summerhall / Pollock Halls. Adaptors can be had for about 2-3 pounds anywhere, whereas convertors will run you about 10 times that. I have tons of electronic equipment but haven't needed a convertor for anything.

I moved over there with 2 suitcases and a carry-on, and bought bulky things like a printer and TV in Edinburgh rather than ship them across. Some of my classmates, however, appear to have brought their entire worldly possessions with them. Guess it depends on the person 😀

i'm glad this adapter/converter stuff came up, cause i have not even addressed it yet...ahhhh
 
Help! I think i've narrowed down my flat search to one i really like. Anyone over there who would be willing to view if for me in exchange for a few pints once i get there? 😍 It's pretty close to summerhall in Newington. They won't let me rent a flat without having someone view it first.

Let me know if anyone can help.

thanks!!
 
No EEVec email yet. Is our Fall schedule posted in it? If so, can you show us? Im dying to see it.

Good luck with the viewing thing!! Hopefully you can get that sorted out!
 
Reading/Textbook Suggestions

Textbooks for AB1 Anatomy​

If possible, graduate students are encouraged to examine several textbooks before buying because different people prefer different styles and approaches to anatomy. Andrew Gardiner has several copies of popular books which are available for a few days loan to allow examination of them before buying if you wish to delay purchase until in Edinburgh. The Veterinary Library also contains multiple copies of most books but newer editions cannot be borrowed out for lengthy periods. Well illustrated anatomy textbooks are expensive but are an excellent investment as will be used throughout your veterinary course and beyond.

The notes below will help those purchasing in advance.

Important.
Note that all anatomy textbooks present material in considerably more depth than is often required for examinations. They are primarily reference books. For guidance on the depth of subject knowledge required for examination and assessment purposes, students should always be guided principally by their individual subject lecturers. If in doubt, please ask your lecturer.



This web site gives some book reviews for veterinary students:
http://medveterinary.blogspot.com/

Some titles and comments which may help you in your purchase are given below. Sometimes, by searching for the title on-line, you can ‘see inside’ a few pages on publishers’ websites and also Amazon.


J.S. Boyd, Colour Atlas of Clinical Anatomy of the Dog and Cat. Mosby, 2001.
Annotated colour photographs of bones, dissected specimens, organs, X-rays and other images. Clinical aspects of anatomy highlighted throughout. Very clear presentation and highly useful book for anatomy and the clinical years. Minimal text. Dog/cat only. There is a companion volume of self-assessment questions and answers. Highly recommended.


Done, S.H. & Goody, P.C., Colour Atlas of Veterinary Anatomy, Volume 3. The Dog and Cat. Mosby, 1996.
Very attractive colour book with many illustrations and some more explanatory text than Boyd. Some may prefer this type of presentation c.f. purely photographic as in Boyd. Highly recommended.



K.M. Dyce, W.O. Sack, C.J.G. Wensing, Textbook of Veterinary Anatomy, 3rd edition. Saunders, 2002.
Text and black-and-white line drawings with a few black and white photographs and a small colour plate section. Classic anatomy textbook, covers all domestic species. Attractive book, but less visual than Boyd or other atlases. Would complement an atlas-type book like Boyd or Done. Highly recommended.


Konig, H.E. and Liebich, H-G. Veterinary Anatomy of the Domestic Mammals: Textbook and Colour Atlas. Schattauer, 2009.
Very expensive, highly illustrated text-atlas covering all species, but with most emphasis on the dog, cat and horse. New edition. Highly recommended but outwith most students’ price range.


Pasquini, C., Spurgeon, T. and Pasquini, S. Anatomy of Domestic Animals: Systemic and Regional Approach. Sudz Publishing, 1989.
Many students enjoy the informal cartoon-based approach of the Pasquini books. There are no photographs, instead many diagrams designed to aid learning, assimilation and memory. Also produce clinical texts which are popular. See: http://www.sudzpublishing.com/sudzpub.html, where books can be ordered. These are fun books to own and use.


P. Goody, Dog Anatomy. J.A. Allen, 1998.
Very reasonably priced and contains a lot of information but only black and white line drawings. Dense presentation/layout.


Evans, Miller’s Anatomy of the Dog, and Miller’s Guide to the Dissection of the Dog.
Anatomy of the Dog is the standard canine reference. Unless you have lots of money or wish to specialise in anatomy, however, you should NOT buy this book at the moment as it is too detailed and text-dominated; copies are in the library for reference.

Evans, Miller’s Guide to the Dissection of the Dog is a practical dissection manual. It is not so appropriate for this particular course, which does not feature full dissection. It will however be useful to refer to and library copies are available.


Anatomy colouring books and flash cards
Some people like these, depending on individual learning styles. It is perhaps even better to make your own flash cards. Example books available are:

R.A. Kainer & T.O. McCracken, Dog Anatomy. A Colouring Atlas. Teton New Media, 2002.
Flash Anatomy: Dog Anatomy and Cat Anatomy.Bryan Edwards Publishing, 1998. (Cards)


Some comments from the final year students on books


· DYCE, SACK AND WENSING - TEXTBOOK OF VETERINARY ANATOMY
This book is worth every penny. It contains detailed information on the anatomy of ruminants, horses, pigs, birds, dogs and cats and is an essential companion to the Animal Body courses. You will also find yourself referring back to this book, I am, sure for the rest of your life. The chapters are sensibly organised and the glossary is easy to use giving individual references to anatomical structures for each species. It has numerous diagrams, pictures, radiographs and the text descriptions are clear and often point out the important features clinically.

· SAUNDERS COMPREHENSIVE VETERINARY DICTIONARY
This is not an ordinary dictionary. The entries are thorough and cover all words and terminology used in pre-clinical and clinical veterinary medicine. Cross-referencing is clear and quickly directs the reader to related entries. It covers large, small and exotic animals and has extensive appendices summarising useful clinical data and anatomical information.


· BURKE, YOUNG & HEATH – WHEATERS FUNCTIONAL HISTOLOGY
In the first year, you have histology practicals. These entail you spending too long looking down a microscope at slides of bits of tissues you didn’t know existed until you no longer can focus on anything larger than 1 micrometer! Don’t worry there is a way to understand all those purple and pink blobs and this is it, without it, YOU WILL go blind! You have been warned!


· ALBERTS ET AL – ESSENTIAL CELL BIOLOGY
Well to make sense of all those molecular structures and cycles, this book is great but you may have covered much of this material in your first degree. Library copies are mainly only 3 hours short loans.


· BERNE & LEVY – PHYSIOLOGY
Although this is strictly a medical textbook, it is very useful throughout your pre-clinical years and is much more comprehensive and cheaper than veterinary equivalents. It covers in detail the physiology of each of the body systems in turn.

A NOTE FROM STAFF…

Other good physiology books are:

Guyton & Hall (2006) Medical Physiology 11th edition (Saunders)

Cunningham & Klein (1007) Veterinary Physiology, (Saunders)


And as the students say….. you may be best advised in general to wait until you are here and take some time to browse our library copies before deciding what will work best for you. J
 
Well, I got two packages from Edinburgh today. The first package was a comprehensive bundle of the Veterinary School, the EMS Forms, books to buy, clothing to get, and what to do for matriculation. I have gotten all this information by email or mail earlier in the year. Funny how the send everything all at once within three weeks before school starts. All of this information can also be found on EEVEC and myEd if you have not had a chance to browse through it already. The other package (same size as the first) is odd to say the least, I will tell you why. The envelope contained a identification card information form with an envelope with a return address. I already got an email a little over a month ago that contained an attachment of the same ID card information form that I already filled out (with a passport photo of myself) and sent it out! I sent an email to the school to make sure they got the one I sent out a month ago. The best part is that these two packages were sent on June 24th, 2010. Three weeks to arrive to my mailbox!
 
crap....no clue where my welcome pack is going to be sent. I'm halfway between nowhere and I have no clue where....arghhh.....
 
The other package (same size as the first) is odd to say the least, I will tell you why. The envelope contained a identification card information form with an envelope with a return address. I already got an email a little over a month ago that contained an attachment of the same ID card information form that I already filled out (with a passport photo of myself) and sent it out! I sent an email to the school to make sure they got the one I sent out a month ago. The best part is that these two packages were sent on June 24th, 2010. Three weeks to arrive to my mailbox!

Another student and I got the ID card form this week. I emailed Victoria about it and she said that there had been some duplications in the card office and not to worry about it. Hope that helps.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!

Obviously I'm a newbie to the thread, but I am headed off to Edinburgh in September for the 5-year program! I'm trying to get all of my paperwork together for my Visa (just got my CAS a few weeks ago) and I'm a little stressed out. I keep reading through everything and I swear all of the guidance pages just make me feel like if you give an answer they aren't quite looking for that you are going to be locked out of the country! I know it's silly and extremely paranoid of me but was wondering what those of you who have already received your Visas put on the Tier 4 General Application for the title of the course of study, the qualification awarded when the course is finished as well as the primary site of study. I thought the title of the course of study would be BVM&S since that is what it says in my CAS but I would think that would also be the qualification awarded when finished. Are they looking for the title of the course to be Veterinary Medicine? Also there are just so many addresses for the Dick Vet, I figure it will be the Summerhall address, but I would like to be sure.

Anyway, I will be living in the new iQ student accommodation on Fountainbridge! It's not university housing, but any other vet students living there?
 
Is it worth buying books and supplies now or later in Edinburgh? Any suggestions, thoughts, comments?
 
Is it worth buying books and supplies now or later in Edinburgh? Any suggestions, thoughts, comments?

I am going to buy them over there because I think it would be too expensive to ship them and I already have too much luggage. That's my thought, anyway. Anyone else have any thoughts?
 
Hello all!

Obviously I'm a newbie to the thread, but I am headed off to Edinburgh in September for the 5-year program! I'm trying to get all of my paperwork together for my Visa (just got my CAS a few weeks ago) and I'm a little stressed out. I keep reading through everything and I swear all of the guidance pages just make me feel like if you give an answer they aren't quite looking for that you are going to be locked out of the country! I know it's silly and extremely paranoid of me but was wondering what those of you who have already received your Visas put on the Tier 4 General Application for the title of the course of study, the qualification awarded when the course is finished as well as the primary site of study. I thought the title of the course of study would be BVM&S since that is what it says in my CAS but I would think that would also be the qualification awarded when finished. Are they looking for the title of the course to be Veterinary Medicine? Also there are just so many addresses for the Dick Vet, I figure it will be the Summerhall address, but I would like to be sure.

Anyway, I will be living in the new iQ student accommodation on Fountainbridge! It's not university housing, but any other vet students living there?

I had a nightmare of a time filling out my visa... and I haven't gotten it back yet even though I leave on August 4th :scared:

I can't remember what exactly I put, but yes you would be awarded BVM&S and I think i put BVM&S as the course then added Graduate entry programme. The way I figured was that they had my CAS number that should tell them everything they needed and that filling it out was just a formality--so I didn't worry too much. You could try going into your international office if they have one at your school and they may be able to help.
Good luck!
 
I am going to buy them over there because I think it would be too expensive to ship them and I already have too much luggage. That's my thought, anyway. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Definitely wait to buy them over there. You don't even need to buy books if you don't want to; all your lecture notes are printed off and handed out before class. Lecture notes contain enough information to get between 8 to 10 out of 10 on an exam question (depending on the professor; some grade on the criteria that the grades 9 or 10 out of 10 demonstrate knowledge above and beyond the scope of anything taught in the course). Multiple copies of every textbook are available in the Summerhall library; I went the entire year without buying a single textbook.

Shipping costs will run you a small fortune, and also the weak British pound at the moment means books are cheaper if you buy them over here (I was looking at a surgery book last week (Fossum's) that runs $220 US vs. only 95 British pounds... at todays conversion that's about $145 US).