DICK VET c/o 2014 & 15

Started by flyhi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone else get on EEVeC and become slightly intimidated about the amount of things they thought we "should know, and if you don't needs to brush up on?" I got most of the cell bio stuff but all the embryology I didn't get ANY of that at my University, or if I did I forgot all of it. EEEKK!

Since I'm non-GEP, I haven't gotten the info on Eevec. Only the email to sign in Euclid. Not sure with other Non-gepers if they got the eevec info.

I didn't get any EEVeC info either. I think I read somewhere that we get it during freshers week.
 
I would think you would be able to access it... there's lots of information on there that I would think you would want before fresher's week. They didn't give me my information so I specifically asked for my sign on info. I'm GEP but I don't see why non-GEP would be any different.

Also, any luck looking for flats? Does anyone now where most of our classes will be? Summerhall or Easterbush?
 
Originally Posted by psjlg2
Did anyone else get on EEVeC and become slightly intimidated about the amount of things they thought we "should know, and if you don't needs to brush up on?" I got most of the cell bio stuff but all the embryology I didn't get ANY of that at my University, or if I did I forgot all of it. EEEKK!

I took developmental bio at our uni, psjlg, but it was a complete waste of time because the prof didn't really care to be teaching it. He put together the syllabus on the board with our input. It went like this:

Prof: Let's list what I'll use for your assessment. What do you all think it shoud be?
Us: Huh?
Prof: OK, quizzes, projects, Pubmed reports, uh, exams? How's that sound?
Us: Uh...
Prof: OK, two exams, uh, 20 points each. Hmm...5 quizzes, um, 5 points each,
2 Pubmed reports, hmm, how many points do we have here? Uh, 65? OK, 2 Pubmed reports, how 'bout 10 points each? And 1 project at, uh, (adding the points in his head again) OK, 15 points. Does that equal 100?
Us: *dumbfounded looks on our faces*

It went like this the whole semester. He would begin every class with, "What should we talk about today?" needless to say, I need to go over embryology.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would think you would be able to access it... there's lots of information on there that I would think you would want before fresher's week. They didn't give me my information so I specifically asked for my sign on info. I'm GEP but I don't see why non-GEP would be any different.

Also, any luck looking for flats? Does anyone now where most of our classes will be? Summerhall or Easterbush?

I believe most of our classes will be at Easterbush. Depending when the new buildings will be up and running (either this fall or fall 2011) then all classes will be in Easter bush. If the new bldgs are not up yet, then our first year we will have some classes in Summerhall.

I just sent a mass exodus of emails to every realtor I could find. They all told me the same thing, "Wait a week before you fly so that [the realtor] can collect potential properties that fits your criteria in order to book viewings."

I despise leaving something like finding a place to live for the last minute, especially the week before my flight which is crunch time and "omg freak out" time.

...Bah humbug!:annoyed:
 
needless to say, I need to go over embryology.

Oh thank goodness. You sounded somewhat confident of the material on FB....

I'm going to print everything out and try to learn it on my plane ride to Japan. That should keep me awake. 🙄
 
I'm going to print everything out and try to learn it on my plane ride to Japan. That should keep me awake. 🙄

Oh, on the contrary. I believe embryology is the cure for insomnia. I don't want to discourage you, I just want you to go in with your eyes wide open. Pun intended. :laugh:
 
We will all be at Summerhall until fall of 2011, when they move us to Easter Bush.
 
I agree with Whyever, I am staying 2 weeks at a dog friendly B&B and going flat hunting. The only thing I'm curious about is what papers do we need to seal the deal on renting a flat.

What B&B did you find? Can you actually leave your dog there while you are gone?
 
What B&B did you find? Can you actually leave your dog there while you are gone?

I'm staying at Ascot Guest House. Yes, they do allow me to leave my dog in my room while I'm gone. I found the place using http://www.bedandbreakfastsearcher.co.uk/ and clicked "pet friendly" to narrow the search.

Also, for those searching for a flat/house outside of uni accom, this is what a realtor told me concerning paperwork.

The procedure for application and moving in is as follows:

You must view the property yourself – you cannot secure the property until it has been viewed in person.

To secure the property for up to one month after the available date, a £250 administration fee requires to be paid to us. You will then be given a copy of your New Move In form, and Application Form to complete and return to us within 48 hours (although if not moving in for some time, an extension of this time is possible).

References required are current landlord, employer or University, UK-resident guarantor* (if studying or not working full time) and bank or accountant reference (if self-employed).


Your deposit is calculated as follows:

Rent per day, until the start of the next month: (If moving in on/after the 15th day of a month, you need to pay the next month’s rent in advance also.)

Agency Fee: this has now been reduced to £80 + VAT (at 17.5%) per person moving in (those under 18 are exempt).

Remainder of Deposit: this is one month’s rent (minus the £250 administration fee), plus £100 security retainer (covering any small breakages/damages whilst you are in the property) per bedroom.


If you cannot find a UK guarantor, then you may pay 6 or 12 months rent in advance, in addition to your deposit amount.

Should all items on the Inventory and inside the property be as they were when you moved in, your full deposit will be returned to you on move out.

The realtor who gave me that info was from Alba Residential and I believe she was referring to moving in to a furnished house/flat.
 
I didn't get any EEVeC info either. I think I read somewhere that we get it during freshers week.

Here's the skinny on EEVeC for 5yr program as of today:
"Yes, you will get access to EEVeC prior to starting the course in September. However, the pages are currently being up-dated for students starting the 5-year course so it will be possibly a few weeks until access is given. You will be emailed login details."
 
I'm staying at Ascot Guest House. Yes, they do allow me to leave my dog in my room while I'm gone. I found the place using http://www.bedandbreakfastsearcher.co.uk/ and clicked "pet friendly" to narrow the search.

Also, for those searching for a flat/house outside of uni accom, this is what a realtor told me concerning paperwork.

The realtor who gave me that info was from Alba Residential and I believe she was referring to moving in to a furnished house/flat.

Thanks, Sobe! Really helpful info!!
 
Hey guys, sorry to crash the thread. I'm considering applying to the GEP program this fall for August 2011 entry (I guess that *might* make me a 2015 Dick vet?), but first I'm making up a financial spreadsheet to see if it's even a feasible option for me.

I'm having a hard time finding the pricing for the on-campus accommodation option GEP students have of staying in Pollock hall for the first 5 weeks of the program. This would be an option I'd be interested in since I would not bringing any warm and fuzzies with me across the pond and it seems like a good way to get a lay of the land for later housing. So do you guys have any what the fees are for this? Is it a weekly payment or a bulk sum?
 
Hey guys, sorry to crash the thread. I'm considering applying to the GEP program this fall for August 2011 entry (I guess that *might* make me a 2015 Dick vet?), but first I'm making up a financial spreadsheet to see if it's even a feasible option for me.

I'm having a hard time finding the pricing for the on-campus accommodation option GEP students have of staying in Pollock hall for the first 5 weeks of the program. This would be an option I'd be interested in since I would not bringing any warm and fuzzies with me across the pond and it seems like a good way to get a lay of the land for later housing. So do you guys have any what the fees are for this? Is it a weekly payment or a bulk sum?
I don't know whether the fees will change for this or not, but it's in Pollack for the first 5 weeks at a special rate of 21.78 pounds or something like that (I know the 21 was right). The total came to 747 pounds and change.
 
A special rate of 21.78 pounds or something like that (I know the 21 was right). The total came to 747 pounds and change.

😱 Ouch! That's almost $1000 a month to live in a student building! What does it include? (food, internet, cable, laundry...?)
 
For those curious, I will not be joining you all in Edinburgh this year - they've granted my request to defer, so I can postpone my decision-making for longer!
I'll be sad not to get to hang out with you in the city, but glad that I don't have to sell my horse/move my cats/leave my boyfriend!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that is what you wanted - good for you, sad for us. Just as a forewarning...it's a loooooooong year!
 
I was approved for my visa!!!!!!! WOOT!

Hey thats good news!!! Just curious, but how long did it take for you to get it approved from the time you send in all your information? I am going to submit my application on June 23rd if I can so I am morbidly curious as things are coming right down to the end here....
 
😱 Ouch! That's almost $1000 a month to live in a student building! What does it include? (food, internet, cable, laundry...?)

It includes two meals a day. Not a bad deal, breakfast and dinner for 5 weeks + room (I think it includes internet) for ~1000.


I was approved for my visa!!!!!!! WOOT!

How did you handle the proof of money? I don't have $40000 sitting in a bank account... I have to wait for the loan information... 🙁
 
Ok, visa answers here:

I submitted my online application on 5/17 and did my biometrics on 5/21. You need to mail hard copies to them within two weeks of biometrics. I overnighted hard copies on 6/1, got an email they received everything on 6/4 and an email i was approved on 6/8. They said in the email it should be done within 15 business days...mine was a lot quicker, obviously. I should get visa in the next couple of days via UPS. The clock starts when you submit the hard copies.

If you are an unconditional firm, you can request the visa letter from the school. I wrote Caroline Gilroy and had it within a couple of days.

I am self-pay, so I used my bank statement. Someone on here mentioned using their parent's account though. You need to show proof it's been in the same account for 28 days, i believe.

For those of you waiting on loan info and are going to be tight for time, i would suggest looking over the information well ahead of time so you know what is needed. You MAY even be able to fill out the online application without your loan...but not sure. The hard copies will be what you send in to show proof of funds.

Good Luck everyone! :luck::xf::luck:
 
Would you tell me the best website to tell me exactly what I need and what order the information should be with along with addresses of where to send visa stuff? I'm confused about what hard copies to send and where to get biometrics done..ect...
I feel bad because I have been pestering the advisers at Edinburgh so much lately. Do you have any of that info saved?
Mucho appreciated!
 
I am on the verge an anxiety attack about getting a visa. The financial aid office was apparently on a 3-day retreat discussing US loan information so hopefully we will hear some information soon! I certainly don't have the funds without aid 🙁
 
I am on the verge an anxiety attack about getting a visa. The financial aid office was apparently on a 3-day retreat discussing US loan information so hopefully we will hear some information soon! I certainly don't have the funds without aid 🙁


New information about loans is now up on the website: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/student-funding/financial-support/student-loans/usa. You should read. GEP students, you will be contacted soon about the documents they will be sending to you.
 
Ahhh I missed their call! Called back and they were busy so now I wait for another call. But they are really on the ball since they just got back and are already making calls! yay
 
Sorry guys, been really under the weather :barf:

I have attached a document that was instrumental to me in figuring out the visa hoopla. It tells you exactly what to do and where to go. You must first fill out your application online http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/wheretoapply/

You will pay online and then it will tell you to make an appointment for your biometrics. It will give you the link to do so. You will be given the opportunity to make an appointment online to the center nearest you. Make sure you print out copies of your payment for your visa and your appointment for biometrics. This is very important.

You will get your biometrics done (they send stuff to Border Agency) and then have to submit hard copies of everything else (originals) to the address given online (depends on which state you apply from). You will send your passport with the hard copies of your application (make sure you print it out before submitting online) and your supporting documents (bank statements, loan info, etc). I overnighted mine.

You also have to fill out the VAF9 MAR 2009 form (Points Based System Form Personal Details) and the Points Based System Appendix 8 (APR 2010) Tier 4 (General) Student Self-Assessment. Fill them out hard copy and send with your app.

The UK Border Agency Website has all of the forms and instructions, you just have to root around a bit. I spent a lot of time on this website. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/

They will notify you once they receive your hard copies and tell you it will take 15 business days. They will email you when you've been approved and UPS will deliver your visa the next day!

Hope this all helps and Good Luck!
 

Attachments

Last edited:
thanks. i think i overdid it this weekend and have come down with something else....:bang:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question for current students:

I'm at a loss on the overall Clothing and Books list. Since they don't provide pictures of the clothing list, can you give recommendations on the apparel? For example, which ones lasted longer, comfy scale, etc? Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Quick question for current students:

I'm at a loss on the overall Clothing and Books list. Since they don't provide pictures of the clothing list, can you give recommendations on the apparel? For example, which ones lasted longer, comfy scale, etc? Thanks in advance!

Do'nt feel pressured to buy from the order list. It's usually a fundraiser for one of the upper years, so they'll appreciate it if you do, but I found it easier to just buy once I got here since I had no clue about sizing. There's a sweet little shop near McEwan Hall called Hewat's which carries wellies and waterproofs (you can try them on as well.) They also sell Boilersuits, stethies and pentorches. (Invest in a good stethoscope. You will need it)

You will need some protective wear from early in the course, I know GEPs will need them during the first four week bit. There are some student waterproofs and wellies out at Langhill now, but I'm not sure if you can count on them, and I don't know if they have any for the sheep sheds. Best to have your own. You'll use it on EMS.

You will ABSOLUTELY need a navy blue boilersuit (we called 'em coveralls where I come from). I like the Dickie's zippy one. It's economical and has lasted forever and cleans up well. For equine, any good boots will do. I've worn the soles out of my paddock boots. For sheep and cows you need wellies. If you have some just bring 'em. They say steel toe caps are required, but nobody really checks. If they have leopard spots or butterflies on them you will catch crap for it! 😉 I got some cheap, black, steel toe ones when I got here and they've lasted well.

You WILL go through several sets of water proofs over the years. You haven't properly been lambing unless you've shredded a pair. The cheapest PVC green ones are miserably hot and will rip the second time you put them on. I don't recommend them. You need some Flexothane ones like these. They last far longer, don't cost much more and actually breathe. Worth every penny. Hewats has them in Navy.

The only thing Hewat's doesn't have is Parlour tops. These are shortsleeve pull over waterproof tops. They are better than the jacket tops as they are nicer in warmer weather (or toasty cowsheds) and more convenient on days you need to stick your arm up a cows bum. (it happens I'm afraid. 😉 Thought you should know now.)

Get a cheap white coat for starters. You'll only be seeing shelter dogs/cats, anatomy cadavers and post mortem stuff for the first 3/4 years. Before final year, invest in a cool, stylish one for seeing clients in the clinical rotations. One that self irons when hung to dry preferably! :laugh: Darts totally make a difference in your professional appearance and every little helps, as Tesco says! I recommend holding off on that though, as there was talk of letting future years wear scrub tops instead of white coats on clinics (which I would be a huge fan of, but I dunno if that's going to fly with the Powers That Be.)

*Insiders Tip* Don't ask for waterproof pants. (pants=underwear) :laugh: I think it happens every year. Bless Hewat's.
 
Thanks for the info Scotvet. Do you recommend buying most of the books? or are the books mostly for reference
 
Thanks for the info Scotvet. Do you recommend buying most of the books? or are the books mostly for reference

It depends on how you study best. I would try them out from the library first and see how much they're worth to you. A good anatomy book is definitely worth having. Wheater's probably less so, and Berne and Levy I never used (want to buy my copy? 😉) Can't remember what they recommend. None are required though. For anatomy, Miller's is pretty good and accessible. I like Pasquini better than Dyce sack and wensing though.
 
SoBeVet

I keep getting an error message right before I go to sign and review my MPN, are you having the same difficulty or did you get yours to go through ok?
 
Last edited:
You WILL go through several sets of water proofs over the years. You haven't properly been lambing unless you've shredded a pair. The cheapest PVC green ones are miserably hot and will rip the second time you put them on. I don't recommend them. You need some Flexothane ones like these. They last far longer, don't cost much more and actually breathe. Worth every penny. Hewats has them in Navy.

I totally agree about the cheaper waterproofs being completely useless for lambing (shredded my trousers within the first couple of days of lambing, and the jacket followed shortly). They'll get you through the usual in-class handling stuff IME, but just won't stand up (and it super-sucks to be trying to repair waterproofs with duct tape when you really just need a working set of waterproofs), so I'd start with the Flexothane type. Last time I was in Hewats, they didn't have those, but had the Fieldtex waterproofs by Dickies which are kind of similar and are MUCH tougher than the cheaper Dickies. One bad thing about the Fieldtex is that the small jacket is quite large, and that's the smallest size I've been able to find.
 
I have a couple of quick questions.

1. Does a boiler suit have arms or are they like overalls?
2. What is in the dissection kit? I probably have quite a few of the items already. So if I know what's in it, I won't need to purchase one.
3. Also does anyone have the email address for the admissions office or whoever sends the welcome package? I have since sold my house and moved, so I need to change my address.
 
I have a couple of quick questions.

1. Does a boiler suit have arms or are they like overalls?
2. What is in the dissection kit? I probably have quite a few of the items already. So if I know what's in it, I won't need to purchase one.
3. Also does anyone have the email address for the admissions office or whoever sends the welcome package? I have since sold my house and moved, so I need to change my address.

1. Yes, there are arms. You need them most of hte year. 🙂

2. I think there were two types of scissors (blunt and pointy), some probes, some forceps, some blades and scalpel handle. You could get by with just some scissors, and rat-tooths. Everybody usually has a kit, and there are 3 or 4 people per dog so you could get by with less.

3. no, sorry. Not sure who that would be. If you have a myEd log on you might can do it online.
 
Does anyone know a way to convert US dollars to pounds before I arrive to Scotland because I may need a taxi to get to my flat/dorm when I leave the airport. Anyone have any ideas on what to do. Do taxis accept credit cards?
 
Does anyone know a way to convert US dollars to pounds before I arrive to Scotland because I may need a taxi to get to my flat/dorm when I leave the airport. Anyone have any ideas on what to do. Do taxis accept credit cards?

There are a couple of ways to convert Dollars to Pounds.

You can use the exchange booths that are located in the airports. All airports have these however the exchange rate can be pretty bad as they vary from place to place. If you fly early in the morning or late at night, these booths might be closed so be aware of the business hours in the US and in the UK.

When I travel, the best thing to do is to use an ATM machine at the country I'm visiting. The exchange rate is much better compared to the airports although the bank will charge me a surcharge since I'm using a foreign ATM card.

I avoid using credit cards as much as possible cuz every time you swipe the plastic, your bank charges you an interest fee although small, it can add up very quickly. In my opinion, cash is king. However, in cases where I'm buying something really expensive or paying for my hotel, then yea I'll use my credit card so I have a proof of purchase and also so that I'm not carrying a large sum of cash in my pocket.

You can try traveler's checks but that practice has been dying out for the past 10 years. Some foreign banks won't even recognize a traveler's check.

Hope this helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is no longer an error message when you try to complete your MPN on studentloans.gov! Mission Success!
 
Wooo!!!

Does anyone know if we need to send in the hard copy of the CAS we got in the mail? I know that our CAS is an electronic number and the UKBA can access some sort of database and get all of our information, but I'm not sure if I need to send in my actual hard copy?
The problem is, on my original CAS it says that I have paid 1500GBP towards my tuition for my deposit. I have been issued a new CAS by Caroline Gilroy because of the "sponsorship" from Edinburgh for visa purposes and on the "Sponsors Note" section of my CAS it no longer says anything about 1500GBP paid, it just says that the Uni is going to "sponsor" me for my visa.

SOOO, do we need to send in the hard copy of our CAS? Because the one I have is different from the one that is going to be on their "database".
 
Wooo!!!

Does anyone know if we need to send in the hard copy of the CAS we got in the mail? I know that our CAS is an electronic number and the UKBA can access some sort of database and get all of our information, but I'm not sure if I need to send in my actual hard copy?
The problem is, on my original CAS it says that I have paid 1500GBP towards my tuition for my deposit. I have been issued a new CAS by Caroline Gilroy because of the "sponsorship" from Edinburgh for visa purposes and on the "Sponsors Note" section of my CAS it no longer says anything about 1500GBP paid, it just says that the Uni is going to "sponsor" me for my visa.

SOOO, do we need to send in the hard copy of our CAS? Because the one I have is different from the one that is going to be on their "database".

Yipes. I sent a copy of mine in even though I do not believe it says anywhere that you need to provide it.

Does the 1500 make a difference in anything for you? Are you using a bank account as proof of funds and are within 1500 pounds of being able to prove you have the maintenance funds? If it does not matter, i would say to send it in. If it does..... i'm not sure what you should do. I would probably send it in and show proof that you paid the deposit, or get a letter from uni that you have paid it.

good luck!