Dictation on CASPer? Is it alright?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brewster1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm taking the CASPer test tomorrow. I know it's partly ridiculous I'm even asking this as the exam seems to be one that purely requires you not to say anything insane and just explain ethical arguments, but I find using the dictation feature on my mac allows me to give more detailed explanations rather then a few sentences here and there.

I checked around the terms of use and can't really find a good solid answer on using dictation vs a keyboard but I'm curious as to if this is a problem. Let me know your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm taking the CASPer test tomorrow. I know it's partly ridiculous I'm even asking this as the exam seems to be one that purely requires you not to say anything insane and just explain ethical arguments, but I find using the dictation feature on my mac allows me to give more detailed explanations rather then a few sentences here and there.

I checked around the terms of use and can't really find a good solid answer on using dictation vs a keyboard but I'm curious as to if this is a problem. Let me know your thoughts.

Your webcam will be on your face the entirety of the exam so unless you are a ventriloquist, movement of your lips will be recorded. Since the instructions require that you type your answers, do you really want to chance your entire medical career on perhaps Casper reporting to the school that you dictated the exam and throwing out your score?

Your webcam will be on your face the entirety of the exam so unless you are a ventriloquist, movement of your lips will be recorded. Since the instructions require that you type your answers, do you really want to chance your entire medical career on perhaps Casper reporting to the school that you dictated the exam and throwing out your score?
I can't seem to find instructions specifying that I have to type my answers. I agree though, the chance of getting caught most definitely outweighs the benefits and it's probably not worth it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Contacted CASPer, verified dictation software is only allowed if you have a medical condition. Chopped my hands off immediately afterwards.

Reactions: 8 users
Are you recorded the entire time? I thought they just take a picture of you when you start

Are you recorded the entire time? I thought they just take a picture of you when you start

Yes, your camera will be on the entire exam and they will be recording you throughout the exam.

NOTE: Make sure you log in at exactly the start time because you only have 15 minutes to verify again that your system works and the camera works, etc. or else after 15 minutes, you will need to re-register for another test date. I had verified that their system and mine were compatible on Firefox when I registered, but then I logged in 5 minutes late with Firefox on my test date, but the system kept giving me an error with accessing the camera. After rebooting 2-3x, I had 1 minute left, before I finally remembered and chose Chrome and was able to get my camera to work and start the test.

Seems like the recording you the whole time thing is new this year?

Seems like the recording you the whole time thing is new this year?

If I recall correctly from two years ago, they took photos and retained the disclaimer that you may be recorded. I have looked into this and I can't find any of their old TOS or instructions. I'm not surprised, they aren't known for being the most transparent group.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Don't know if its new this year but can confirm that you weren't recorded for the whole thing in previous years.

Reactions: 1 user
Jw, what happens if you don't have a computer that has a camera (like a desktop)