Did anyone completely "give up" on med and pursue a masers and fell in love with something else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pediateix

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently in my masters, im 24 , and i know many will say im young but i will be 26 when im done and the thought of going to med school at that age is like why bother. i feel like i should just start working and all. I know race can be a difference in how people perceive things, so im a type of indian and i haven't even dated yet parents are saying i need /should get married at 26

I've been pre med forever . I just had a low GPA mcat so I took time to retake classes and ****. Just went with a masters cause I wanted to be in sxhool

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are asking here I assume you want to pursue a career in medicine. Better to start at 26 than work in an unfulfilling job for a few years and ask the same question at 30 when you realize you aren't happy with the path you took.

FWIW: I'm 27, if I get in this round I'll be nearly 28 when I matriculate. I think the average is 24/25.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
26 is still pretty young, some people on this site decide to go to medical school at 35 or 40. It's never too late if this is what you really want to do. I would suggest checking out the non-traditional forum here and see what people very similar to you have done to get into medical school. Medicine is a long commitment.

I graduated at 25 and immediately got a job. In the end it was really good because I enjoyed the job, matured a lot professionally, and formed some nice relationships. After a few years I realized I really wanted to give medicine a shot and will (hopefully) be applying this year. I'd be 31 if I matriculate next year.

It's cliche but you really need to find find what makes you happy. Some people do it when they're 12 and may not do it until they're 50. There's no rush, regardless of what your parents feel.

If you want to pursue medicine, you're not too old.

If you decide you like the field you're in and choose to stay in it, that's fine too.

Reactions: 2 users
Im currently in my masters, im 24 , and i know many will say im young but i will be 26 when im done and the thought of going to med school at that age is like why bother. i feel like i should just start working and all. I know race can be a difference in how people perceive things, so im a type of indian and i haven't even dated yet parents are saying i need /should get married at 26

I've been pre med forever . I just had a low GPA mcat so I took time to retake classes and ****. Just went with a masters cause I wanted to be in sxhool

You need some perspective. I'll be 35 when I start med school. I understand pleasing your parents is important, but it's your life. You have been premed for 2 years longer than the K-MD. That is nothing.

Entering pod school (hopefully) by the time I'm 24.

I know its frustrating to be that old and seeing all your peers get married and work in other fields that have starting salaries of like 50-70k.
I have friends who have already been making that kind of money for 2 years now while I was still in school doing a Masters and sinking into more student debt.

But you will never be happy glossing over something as big as this just because you want to "get on" with life.

If you have that nagging tug inside of you that's pulling you towards medicine or the healthcare field in general, taking a few years (ok, a lot of years) to really dig deep and commit.
It will be much better than working a mediocre job for 8 years and finding out you want to do something better.

I have lots of friends from my pre-med days that did exactly that. Something like 90% of pre-meds never end up in med school. I was pre-med for about ten minutes myself.

If I get in this cycle, I'll matriculate at 26, with a wife and 2 kids.
You're not old.

Reactions: 1 users
The devil is in the details. Have you improved your app? Gpa? Mcat? You're more than welcome to message me.

There are plenty of people who move on to fulfillin careers outside of medicine. Indian culture puts heavy emphasis on becoming a physician mostly because of the title and the status. Being a physician is not the only way to work in the field of healthcare. I'd strongly suggest looking into podiatry and PA school!