Did I apply to enough schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TalaDuShrrg

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a 3.86 GPA and got in the 97th percentile on the new MCAT. I applied to 20 MD schools- is that enough to give me a decent chance? Should I add some more even though it's late?

What's an average number of schools to apply to?
 
I have a 3.86 GPA and got in the 97th percentile on the new MCAT. I applied to 20 MD schools- is that enough to give me a decent chance? Should I add some more even though it's late?

What's an average number of schools to apply to?
It depends on the rest of your ap, your state of residence and the schools you chose.
The average is 15.
 
As gyngyn said, it depends on the rest of your App (ECs like clinical and non clinical volunteering, research(if you have it, etc)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If your ECs are well rounded, and your list is strategic, then yeah 20 should be fine.
 
Is it too late to apply to more this cycle? I mean, it's almost August, but I don't know if it matters since my last letters just came in recently anyway.
 
Only on SDN would someone make a thread worrying about a 3.9/36. If you don't get into one of your 20 with those stats, then there's a serious red flag somewhere on your app and applying to more schools wouldnt be beneficial in that case.
 
Only on SDN would someone make a thread worrying about a 3.9/36. If you don't get into one of your 20, then there's a serious red flag somewhere on your app and applying to more schools wouldnt be beneficial in that case.

It's really more about distribution than number. A poorly chosen list can keep a strong applicant out of medical school.
 
If you're concerned, post school list here, with state residence, All ECs etc and we'll give input on what to add/cut
As others said, a good list can make or break a great applicant