Did I miss the boat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mika2234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hoping to get some insight on whether or not I will have a chance this cycle. Stats: 3.1, 35O from Ivy League. Graduated in 2008. Did graduate program in nutrition at Columbia and got a 4.0. Have a publication and tons of good ECs. Have some extenuating circumstances causing the 3.1 that are well explained.

Submitted AMCAS on 7/22. Verified 8/25. UC David secondary in on 9/11. Tufts in on 9/6. All others (BU, WashU, UCSF, NYMC, Mt Sinai, Columbia, USC, Vanderbilt, Pritzker, Tulane) were in this past weekend (9/17-9/19).

Did I miss the boat for this cycle? My premed advisor told me I that I 'probably won't strike out' but that was prior to my submitting secondaries so late.

Just curious to know if I should keep my hopes up or plan on applying next cycle. Hate the thought of doing this over again....:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Hoping to get some insight on whether or not I will have a chance this cycle. Stats: 3.1, 35O from Ivy League. Graduated in 2008. Did graduate program in nutrition at Columbia and got a 4.0. Have a publication and tons of good ECs. Have some extenuating circumstances causing the 3.1 that are well explained.

Submitted AMCAS on 7/22. Verified 8/25. UC David secondary in on 9/11. Tufts in on 9/6. All others (BU, WashU, UCSF, NYMC, Mt Sinai, Columbia, USC, Vanderbilt, Pritzker, Tulane) were in this past weekend (9/17-9/19).

Did I miss the boat for this cycle? My premed advisor told me I that I 'probably won't strike out' but that was prior to my submitting secondaries so late.

Just curious to know if I should keep my hopes up or plan on applying next cycle. Hate the thought of doing this over again....:confused:
Since you're already complete, the best you can do is :xf: and hope for the best.

I will say that you are absolutely shooting for the stars and I don't know if all the explaining in the world will get you very far with that school list. You're below the 10th %ile at every single MD school, but you're WAY far below the 10th %ile for GPA at every school on your list by about 0.4. That is going to be a huge obstacle for your success. Less than 50% of applicants with your stats were accepted somewhere, but I would guess your chances may be lower than that due to your school list being a little shorter than normal AND aiming way way higher than normal.

thanks for getting back!

I am a CA resident so I dont have too many options of 'safety schools' (i know that no school is a safety with my stats but just as a manner of speech;) )? I still have a couple more secondaries to complete- drexel, jefferson, umdnj, george washington. will get them in today. any other recommendations?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I have gathered so far, adcoms place most weight on your uGPA so that will hurt you. I have a similar GPA from really bad circumstances and a good mcat. Still waiting to hear from schools but 1 interview so far! But regardless, the GPA is low and that will automatically sort you out at most schools. There are tons of people with great EC's and high MCAT that will have the high GPA.

What is your sGPA?

Other possible schools..SUNY stonybrook, Hofstra, Howard, SUNY Downstate, UConn, Penn state, albert einstein.

sGPA 3.03
cGPA 3.11

I know its a long-shot but I feel i have done quite a bit to prove competency post-graduation. I had a rough undergrad experience for multiple reasons.

Thanks for the school list! I have einstein and downstate on my list but none of the others. i thought that UConn, penn state, and stonybrook accepted vast majority instate applicants?

Consider applying for post-bacc or SMPs with linkage this year too if it doesn't pan out.

I agree with your advisor. You probably won't strike out.

In case you do, the best improvement you can make are in your GPA's. Hence, post-bacc.