did I screw myself by being a transfer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I've read horrible things on the internet about medical schools not liking community college students or transfer students. But here is my story: I was always a strong student up until my sophomore year of high school. I didn't do that well in high school due to being in an abusive relationship, being bullied, suffering from depression and anxiety disorder, and going through chronic illness which put me out of school for much of my high school career. I still ended up in the top 10% of my class with a B average, below par ECs, and a 2110 SAT score. I have gotten psychotherapy and pain management and fixed all my problems and am on the top of my game again so I know this won't happen again. I could have gotten into some schools, and did get into my state school, but didn't go there because their science department was having serious problems. I went to my community college on a full scholarship and got a 4.0 during my first year and got accepted into a nice private liberal arts school that I plan on going to next year. Problem is: I will have done some of my pre-reqs at a community college (even though I'll be taking upper level ones for bio, chem, and psych at my private school) and I will have 3 college transcripts to submit to AMCAS. One for my local community college (1 course) that I took during high school, one for the farther away community college that I attended for a year upon graduation, and one from the nice private school I'll be attending for the next 3 years to complete my B.S. in Neuroscience.
Have I totally ****** myself over by being a transfer student? I have a great GPA and awesome ECs with a bunch of leadership experience. If I keep up my GPA (currently a 4.0) and get a good MCAT score and continue with my ECs and apply early.... will I have as good of a chance as anybody or will I be at a serious disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think being a transfer student in general will really hurt to any measurable extent, but I remember reading that some schools do not like pre-reqs from CC in highschool as much. Relax, you are over thinking things.

What happened in high school is really irrelevant to your med school admissions (except in a whole-picture, removed sort of way). There is a lot of prejudice against CC (it seems you might harbor some against yourself even) that in most ways is unfounded. It is college, and while some may be easier than university, some might be harder. These things are a wash and for the average case can't be held against you.

If you transferred and then bombed that might send up some red flags (especially in a less-demanding major, like psych ;)) but other than that, and what was mentioned in the second comment, on average you're fine