Did I screw myself over for this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Toothache

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted your advice!

I am planning on taking my DAT september 10th and sending my application in the coming week and a half. I was wondering if applying this late will really hurt my chances this application cycle?

I do not have stellar stats by my overall GPA is a 3.5 and science is a 3.4 (3 C's in college and a couple withdrawals).....GPA has a random trend, not necessarily upwards
I have roughly 200 shadowing hours (150 general, 50 oral surgeon)
Volunteer hours are roughly around 500 hrs
Extracurriculars include: SGA freshman year, Greek fraternity (philantrophy chair, Community service chair), founded my own club that helps the homeless, TA for Biology course
Research: I have over 1000 hours of research w/ two publications and another two getting published (one is a first author)
Letters of Recommendation: I think these will be really good letters
Job: had multiple jobs throughout college....moving company (seasonal) all 4 years , bartender for a year

Any feedback will help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you get a high DAT score you should be good! As long as you don't have a downwards trend right?? o_O

Your EC's and research are strong. Your GPA is standard for matriculating students. The wild card, of course, is your DAT score.

You are a bit late in the cycle... several schools have already started sending out interview invites. However, it's not too late. Send out your primaries as soon as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your EC's and research are strong. Your GPA is standard for matriculating students. The wild card, of course, is your DAT score.

You are a bit late in the cycle... several schools have already started sending out interview invites. However, it's not too late. Send out your primaries as soon as you can.
Thanks for the feeback, I really appreciate it! In the long run, do you think applying this late will affect acceptance, or will it more likely affect my chance for a pre-decmeber interview?

Thanks for the feeback, I really appreciate it! In the long run, do you think applying this late will affect acceptance, or will it more likely affect my chance for a pre-decmeber interview?
You might get less pre-Dec interviews, but you should get your fair share of interviews this cycle, assuming your PS is strong. Play to your strengths, destroy the DAT and you have more than a fair chance of getting an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Due to an exceptionally slow professor, my file was incomplete until September. (I asked her to write a LOR for me in May...). I had 3-4 interviews pre-Dec and 3-4 more in Jan/Feb. All in all I interviewed at 7ish schools and was accepted to 5. Even if you don't interview before December you still have a good chance to get in- assuming a DAT in the 20s.

You are completely fine. That GPA is very similar to mine (I have 2 interviews so far this cycle) and your ECs absolutely destroy mine. Just make sure to put as much work in as possible towards your DAT! Good luck :)