Did not match...what's next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstar2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to get some input from the memebers of this forum who reapplied and were succesful the 2nd or 3rd time around.
What are some options to improve my application second time around?
Debating between taking 1 year off to do research (maybe a research fellowship, not sure how one would find it), or doing a transitional/prelim year and reapplying this year.
Your input will be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Should we do prelim first (ie. 2005-2006) and after reapplying this summer for the 2006 match take a year off doing research or something or other?
Or should we do resesarch now and then reapply for both ophtho and prelim?

Also bear in mind that in my case (IMG) I am already doing research fo a year now...

Does it matter in what hospital we do our internship?

medstar2 said:
I would like to get some input from the memebers of this forum who reapplied and were succesful the 2nd or 3rd time around.
Debating between taking 1 year off to do research (maybe a research fellowship, not sure how one would find it), or doing a transitional/prelim year and reapplying this year.
First of all I am sorry that you did not match. I know how if feels because last year I didn't either. This year I did match, and I was not a stellar med student. I think that as long as you did reasonably well, have a decent personality, and are a hard worker you have a great shot. The question I would ask yourself if how much you want to be an opthalmologist. If you can see yourself doing something else you might want to consider applying for a less competitive specialty in addition to opthalmology the 2nd time around as a back-up. If not, then keep trying until you match.
Personally I would take a year off to do everything you can to increase the liklihood of matching instead of doing an internship. It's hard to reapply, and you don't want to go about it half-way. I did research and ophtho electives and matched at the prog. where I did research (+ a lot of time shadowing in the dept.). I doubt you will be able to do much of either during your internship. There are 2 main reasons to take a year off: 1) improve your CV and 2) demonstrate that you are really committed to opthalmology. At this point you can't change your numbers but you can get exposure and publications.
I would rec. finding a solid (but not Wills or Wilmer type) program where you could do electives and/or research, then spend the whole spring and summer studying opthalmology, working on case reports, research, etc. Then do some electives in the late summer/fall at several different programs (maybe ones where you got interviews this past year).
Finding a place to be someone's research slave shoudn't be too hard, but look around and talk to different people before jumping in. Be upfront about specific about your goals; the feedback you get will help you decide if they are worth your time. You obviously want to find a doc who will not take advantage of you and who is willing to help. If they carry some weight it woudn't hurt, either (i.e. LOR or phone call). Try to get involved in a reserch project that is either ongoing or won't take long to pull together (e.g., retrospective chart review) so you have something to submit or present by the time you are reapplying/ interviewing.
If $ is an issue I would take out more loans and get a job where you can work less hrs. than an internship. You might get really lucky and find a paid research job, who knows?
Before jumping in I would try to find a mentor/adviser who can look at your app. and give you more specific feedback.
Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
medstar2 said:
Oh and don't forget the extra "h" in OPHTHALMOLOGY in your application like I did in the above reply. (Sorry)

We had 3 reapplicants from my medical school this year, and they all matched. All 3 were qualified in terms of scores and application (looking at the average match stats), things just didn't pan out for them last year. They did not give up hope.
2 out of these 3 did a transitional year internship at an easy going institution, which allowed them to swap around their schedules and/or plan ahead of time to have "elective" time and/or vacation during the months of November and December allowing them to go on interviews. The other person did a pre-residency fellowship at a well known institution.
Either way, they didn't do extra research beefing up their application. One simply finished up the research that he had been working on in med school and presented at ARVO. I think they just applied more broadly than before.
Now that they've matched, the 2 that will be finishing their internship in June, will either moonlight, or relax for a year, and the 1 that did the pre-res fellowship will do an internship. Again, I stress that these people were qualified and definitely ranked last year, but didn't match.

browneye said:
We had 3 reapplicants from my medical school this year, and they all matched. All 3 were qualified in terms of scores and application (looking at the average match stats), things just didn't pan out for them last year. They did not give up hope.
2 out of these 3 did a transitional year internship at an easy going institution, which allowed them to swap around their schedules and/or plan ahead of time to have "elective" time and/or vacation during the months of November and December allowing them to go on interviews. The other person did a pre-residency fellowship at a well known institution.
Either way, they didn't do extra research beefing up their application. One simply finished up the research that he had been working on in med school and presented at ARVO. I think they just applied more broadly than before.
Now that they've matched, the 2 that will be finishing their internship in June, will either moonlight, or relax for a year, and the 1 that did the pre-res fellowship will do an internship. Again, I stress that these people were qualified and definitely ranked last year, but didn't match.

I am the guy who chose to do the pre-res fellowship (Hey Browneye) and I think it really helped. I did the ocular pathology/research fellowship at the University of Utah and it has been a great experience. You get your name on plenty of research and lots of interesting projects which strengthen your app.

I will give a general description of the year and if anyone wants more details feel free to PM me. The pathology aspect ends up really only being about one day a week. One of the main things you end up doing is helping with IOL research, either in rabbits or in cadaver eyes. The research group works with many companies (Alcon, AMO, Visiogen, Calhoun, Allergan, etc) who are designing new ocular devices/medications, mostly IOLs. Some of the work going on is very interesting and makes for great conversation starters during interviews. You also have a chance to do surgery after some of these studies. You obviously don't do the surgery on the study rabbits/eyes (these companies have this crazy thing about having an experienced surgeon do the work) but often there are extras. So far this year I have done seven phacos, start to finish (no broken capsules, phew!). It has been a very good learning experience.

You also do analyses of endopthalmitis outbreaks at various surgical centers across the country. As part of an ASCRS grant, any center that has an outbreak can send detailed info about the various cases to the Moran eye center and we analyze what was going on and try to find a cause.

You also have plenty of opportunities to write up case reports on your own. I will be presenting a case at ASCRS this spring and will be submitting a related paper to JCRS.

One very nice thing about the fellowship is that it is paid. The base salary is $10,000, but you end up making much more than that. There are a couple of ways to make more-- first of all there are 1-2 days a week that you can do H&P's on patients coming in for cataract surgery, and you are paid hourly for this. Time is built into your schedule for doing this, so you are not skipping out on something important to be doing it. Also, you can take call for the eye bank. Basically it is home call, and when there is an organ donor you go enucleate and then excise the corneas and prepare them for transplant. So basically I will end up making at least $25,000 this year, which is enough to cover living expenses and pay for some of the insane cost of interviewing.

The fellowship has a great reputation and an excellent match rate. There is usually 2-3 fellows/year, and only two haven't matched over the ~15 years that the fellowship has existed.

The fellowship is basically designed for ophtho applicants who did not match for whatever reason. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will give you details on how to apply, this is the time of year that the new fellows are chosen.

Good luck to all you who didn't match, I feel for you, hang in there and things will work out.

I am thinking about pre-residency fellowship in any subspecialty to improve my matching chances.Can I get H1b for that?Or a j1 that I can convert subsequently to H1b after matching?Visa is important for me.Can you share some info about these fellowships?How to apply?prereuisites etc?Thank you and congratulations on your getting matched this year!

eye4eye said:
I am thinking about pre-residency fellowship in any subspecialty to improve my matching chances.Can I get H1b for that?Or a j1 that I can convert subsequently to H1b after matching?Visa is important for me.Can you share some info about these fellowships?How to apply?prereuisites etc?Thank you and congratulations on your getting matched this year!

Eye4eye-

I really don't know what a H1b or a J1 is. I'm assuming its a visa thing but I don't know how all that works (I'm an ignorant US grad).

If you are interested in applying, PM me and send me your email address and I can send you an app with more info.

odieoh,

i'm just an ms2 now but have been on the ball about ophtho (i did some research this summer trying to get a project up and running but due to forces out of my control, the all powerful IRB, the project has stalled). my mentor feels for me and is trying to get two other projects started but i don't know how they will come out, since i'm starting to run out of free time to do research it seems. anyway, i haven't even taken Step 1 yet (it's definitely looming in the back of my mind) but am worried about it. i'm sure i'll do fine, but i am always afraid that i won't get into ophtho even if i work my butt off. anyway, i'm just doing reseach into what options i have if i don't match in ophtho. i read your message and thought your pre-res fellowship was cool. where can i find out about other programs similar to one you were/are in? thanks in advance for any help.

Dear,

Please send me an e-mail to [email protected] and let me know about your experience at Utah.
I didnot match. I am a foreign graduate with step one 234 and step two of 188. Have done research in Ophthalmology and good rec. letters along with a year of surgery internship.
Do you think I have any chances next year?
I only had three interviews this year and no match.
Please give me some advice. :confused:
Amin

odieoh said:
I am the guy who chose to do the pre-res fellowship (Hey Browneye) and I think it really helped. I did the ocular pathology/research fellowship at the University of Utah and it has been a great experience. You get your name on plenty of research and lots of interesting projects which strengthen your app.

I will give a general description of the year and if anyone wants more details feel free to PM me. The pathology aspect ends up really only being about one day a week. One of the main things you end up doing is helping with IOL research, either in rabbits or in cadaver eyes. The research group works with many companies (Alcon, AMO, Visiogen, Calhoun, Allergan, etc) who are designing new ocular devices/medications, mostly IOLs. Some of the work going on is very interesting and makes for great conversation starters during interviews. You also have a chance to do surgery after some of these studies. You obviously don't do the surgery on the study rabbits/eyes (these companies have this crazy thing about having an experienced surgeon do the work) but often there are extras. So far this year I have done seven phacos, start to finish (no broken capsules, phew!). It has been a very good learning experience.

You also do analyses of endopthalmitis outbreaks at various surgical centers across the country. As part of an ASCRS grant, any center that has an outbreak can send detailed info about the various cases to the Moran eye center and we analyze what was going on and try to find a cause.

You also have plenty of opportunities to write up case reports on your own. I will be presenting a case at ASCRS this spring and will be submitting a related paper to JCRS.

One very nice thing about the fellowship is that it is paid. The base salary is $10,000, but you end up making much more than that. There are a couple of ways to make more-- first of all there are 1-2 days a week that you can do H&P's on patients coming in for cataract surgery, and you are paid hourly for this. Time is built into your schedule for doing this, so you are not skipping out on something important to be doing it. Also, you can take call for the eye bank. Basically it is home call, and when there is an organ donor you go enucleate and then excise the corneas and prepare them for transplant. So basically I will end up making at least $25,000 this year, which is enough to cover living expenses and pay for some of the insane cost of interviewing.

The fellowship has a great reputation and an excellent match rate. There is usually 2-3 fellows/year, and only two haven't matched over the ~15 years that the fellowship has existed.

The fellowship is basically designed for ophtho applicants who did not match for whatever reason. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will give you details on how to apply, this is the time of year that the new fellows are chosen.

Good luck to all you who didn't match, I feel for you, hang in there and things will work out.

slan2 said:
odieoh,

i'm just an ms2 now but have been on the ball about ophtho (i did some research this summer trying to get a project up and running but due to forces out of my control, the all powerful IRB, the project has stalled). my mentor feels for me and is trying to get two other projects started but i don't know how they will come out, since i'm starting to run out of free time to do research it seems. anyway, i haven't even taken Step 1 yet (it's definitely looming in the back of my mind) but am worried about it. i'm sure i'll do fine, but i am always afraid that i won't get into ophtho even if i work my butt off. anyway, i'm just doing reseach into what options i have if i don't match in ophtho. i read your message and thought your pre-res fellowship was cool. where can i find out about other programs similar to one you were/are in? thanks in advance for any help.

Research is important, but I think step 1 is even more important. Don't put off studying to be doing research--I think most programs are understanding that there just isn't a ton of time for most people to be doing huge research projects during med school. It won't hurt you a lot to do less research, but it will definitely hurt to have lower board scores.

I know there is a similar fellowship at Bascom Palmer, and I think there are opportunities at Duke and either Wills or Wilmer. Maybe someone who knows more about these programs could comment. I found out about the Utah fellowship on this forum, maybe go back and search the various threads for some info.

odieoh said:

Odieoh...
I'm assuming you matched this time around! Congrats!

GeddyLee said:
Odieoh...
I'm assuming you matched this time around! Congrats!

Hey Geddy-

Yep, it was a happy ending this time. If you don't mind, what did you end up going into?

medstar2 said:

I am a reapplicant who did not match last year and reapplied and matched this year. I was faced with this same situation last year and I decided to apply for and got a pre-residency fellowship in Ophthalmic Pathology at Bascom Palmer. It was a great way to improve my application and a great way to spend a year in the field of Ophthalmology. I can't say enough good things about spending the year at Bascom Palmer. I think it was probably the best way that I could have done after not matching. The position is going to be open in July and we are now taking applications and interviewing people who may be interested. Anyone can e-mail me if they would like to apply and interview for the position. We have only interviewed two people so far.

Hello. Just wondering if anyine knows of any other pre-res fellowships in ophtho.
Especially in the San Francisco area or in LA, CA.
Also any in the east-coast are wellcome.

D

Support the ones that did not match!

Visit Facebook NoMatchMD